Down for a while

smhardesty

Threads
It appears it's going to be a few days before I can get back to working on anything. On the 19th of January, I did something to my left knee. It too the VA until a couple of days ago to get me into an orthopedist to see what the problem is. I was afraid it was finally time for a total knee replacement, which I have been told I'll eventually have to have. Turns out that time is not here yet. I tore a quad on the inside of my left knee. The orthopedist was kind of outspoken about the fact it took so long to get me in and then also because, not knowing any better, I continued to walk on the thing and tried doing anything I wanted.

So, I now have exercises to do several times a day and I'm supposed to stay off of it as much as possible. It should have been about a 4 week recovery period, but because I kept walking on it and doing other things, it'll now be 4 weeks before I start to feel better and 2 to 3 months, or a little more, before I'm back to normal. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try and finish the mower on the bench in the next few days. It's almost done and I think I can finish up in a couple of hours. I just won't be able to set it off the bench and get it pressure washed.

I guess something good came out of this. I had been thinking about rigging up a 6 pulley, block and tackle over the bench to lift mowers up. I think I'd best get that done right away. LOL!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yea, take care of yourself, or you will be messed up longer.. (ask me how I know this )

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take it easy from somebody that had distal bicep tendon reattachment surgery 5 weeks ago. The recovery is 3-4 months in my case. Hear I will loose the brace next week. So will get to move my arm outside of physical therapy for the first time.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Welcome to old age...I fell down a short flight of steps last week myself when my feet went out from under me due the slick boards. Still sore in spots but didn't say a thing to doctor Tuesday about it. Done done it several times the last few years. So glad the steps are 5/4 lumber that gives when my fat behind hits them. 240 and getting lighter very slowly and boy can I tell that 20+lbs of fat is gone. I am freezing cold some days lately. Maybe it is because it is less 30 F but I think it is because I lost so much insulation.

smhardesty

Threads
Yeah, I'm trying to behave. I was all set to go to the garage today, but two, actually three, things prevented it. First, it still hurts like hell. Second, it's my birthday and my wife is insisting we go out to eat to celebrate, so I would have to quit early anyway. Third, my wife. LOL! She has been threatening the devil out of me for trying to do stuff. No sense in causing a major, family spiff. Whether we go out to eat is of little importance to me. Birthdays and holidays mean very little to me anymore. All of those days are just another day to me. Since I can't taste about 75% of the food I try to eat, going out to eat is pretty much a waste on me. I guess she'll enjoy the meal. I'll have to read every item on the menu to try and find something that has nearly no spice or twang to it. I can't taste steaks, roasts, or most pork meals. It's a real pain trying to find something on the menu I can eat.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes it a pain here too as I was put on a no salt die. I have been on it for three years and anything in the restaurants is so salty now that I can't stand it. Just have cook everything myself now.

smhardesty

Threads
Salt and pepper both cause me problems. My taste buds were burned while getting the radiation treatments for my cancer. I never got all my taste back and certain foods now burn the inside of my mouth just like having Ghost Peppers in it. Ketchup, mustard, Miracle Whip, and salt & pepper are things that cause pain, plus lots of other foods. I can no longer even order a steak in a restaurant. Every place out there uses lots of salt, pepper, and other spices when they cook a steak. Between that and the fact I only get about half the real flavor out of any meat, I just can no longer enjoy a meal when we go out. I can't refuse to go out since that would kind of penalize the wife for my problem. We ate at a place not too long ago that served a salmon steak. I ordered that and when it arrived, it was blackened salmon, not just grilled. I took one bite and spent the rest of the meal watching my wife eat. One bite and my mouth was on fire. Once that happens, the only thing that "cures" it is time. No amount of water or milk will stop the burn. It's a real pain in the butt, but still better than what COULD have happened with the cancer. I'm still just glad to be able to complain about the food. LOL!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hang in there guys, guess getting older comes with it's share of problems.. Some days I can really feel my age.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hang in there guys, guess getting older comes with it's share of problems.. Some days I can really feel my age.
You actually bring up a good point. most mower techs are reaching senior status or getting close. Average age of a tech is now over 50 up from 46 just a few years ago, if I remember correctly. Very few young bloods entering the field.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, Sad that not many young bloods are not picking up the trade..Didn't know that.

Another month & I'll be closer to 70, I quit counting B-days..

Last edited: