Export thread

Does anyone else have a two-stroke Lawn Boy?

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

My model 7266 Lawn Boy is about 30 years old and the motor is still in excellent shape. It's very light and powerful.

If you have a two-stroke Lawn Boy please post photos.

Attachments

K

KennyV

I had one ... electric start...
Lawn Boy mowers were GREAT, trouble free and very light.
Wish I still had it... :smile:KennyV
BTW Two-Stroke... Welcome to this great forum......

N

noma

two stroke

Welcome aboard

Yes i have a old two-stroke lawn boy it has not been run for awhile,but i should try and see if it will start again some day. I think this one is from the 70s or late 60s. I will take a picture of it some day soon. Hope to hear from you again soon.

D

dcgrazier

I have 3 two cycle Lawn Boys. All of them are 25 to 30 years old. They all run great and mow very well.

A

a.palmer jr.

When Lawn Boy stopped making the two stroke I went out and bought a few so I would always have one to mow the yard with. I now have four of the two strokes and all run pretty well. I probably won't buy any more because of storage limitations.

J

junebug1701

When Lawn Boy stopped making the two stroke I went out and bought a few so I would always have one to mow the yard with. I now have four of the two strokes and all run pretty well. I probably won't buy any more because of storage limitations.

Ahhh...storage limitations....so how long have you been married? :laughing:

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I only have one but keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on another. I think they last a long time and hopefully the parts situation is OK, so I shouldn't run out of Lawn Boys any time soon.:thumbsup:

I did a couple hours of mowing with my Jacobsen (four stroke) this weekend and wished I had had the Lawn Boy.

Do you have a favorite model? The only thing I'm sure of is that I like non-self-propelled two-strokes -- I like the lightest mower possible. Beyond that, I don't have a preference as to model.

Please post some photos of your collection.

Lawn-Boy-front.jpg

K

KennyV

I've had several LawnBoys, at one of my past businesses ... You are right they are great mowers & very handy... The only thing that I can imagine that would hurt them is hitting something solid that would bend the crank shaft OR not mixing oil with the fuel. Past that I think they would last forever.:thumbsup:
:smile:KennyV

lizard

lizard

I've had several LawnBoys, at one of my past businesses ... You are right they are great mowers & very handy... The only thing that I can imagine that would hurt them is hitting something solid that would bend the crank shaft OR not mixing oil with the fuel. Past that I think they would last forever.:thumbsup:
:smile:KennyV

Just like our 'Victa Mower'.........been going for 50 years nearly.......these 2 strokes were made to last!:biggrin:

L

lawnman84

I have a 7351 lawn boy. I really like this mower. I got it for 20 bucks. Runs and cuts great

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I have a 7351 lawn boy. I really like this mower. I got it for 20 bucks. Runs and cuts great

You got a great deal. Please post a photo. The model number doesn't ring a bell.

I

Ifixdit

I have worked on several and rarely find one that won't keep running after a good cleaning. I think the plastic carbs are kinda neat too.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I have worked on several and rarely find one that won't keep running after a good cleaning. I think the plastic carbs are kinda neat too.

I haven't had to buy any parts for mine but have given it a good cleaning. My first impression of the plastic carb wasn't too favorable but I've come around and changed my mind.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I haven't had to buy any parts for mine but have given it a good cleaning. My first impression of the plastic carb wasn't too favorable but I've come around and changed my mind.

I have three, one of them is a mid-80's model with a 19 inch deck...one I got from a Goodwill store for $15, it's a self propelled electric start. The third is a, well...next time I go to the barn I will look at the decks and get the model numbers. Did Lawn Boy ever make mowers with magnesium decks or were they all aluminum, until they switched to steel decks...???

JDgreen

JDgreen

I have three, one of them is a mid-80's model with a 19 inch deck...one I got from a Goodwill store for $15, it's a self propelled electric start. The third is a, well...next time I go to the barn I will look at the decks and get the model numbers. Did Lawn Boy ever make mowers with magnesium decks or were they all aluminum, until they switched to steel decks...???

Just went outside to call the friggin' cat, looked in the barn...my oldest one appears to be a 1978 (approx.) vintage 21 inch, self propeeled, electric start aluminum deck model 8241 AE. The manual that came with it is dated 1978 !! The second is an aluminum deck, 21 inch push type, model 7263.
The last is a steel deck, 21 inch push type model 7071. I know that one cost me $20 from Goodwill, the self propelled model did too, paid a whole $25 for it. IT IS CLEAN AND COMPLETE. According to the literature that came with it as well as the manual, this model was the top of the line in the late 70's. Good luck in finding a battery pack for that one though.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Sorry I took so long to get back to you.

I don't know the answer about the deck material but I strongly suspect that never made an all-aluminum deck -- the metal is too soft. I'm a little less certain, but I doubt that they made an all-magnesium deck -- too brittle. My guess is that most of the Lawn Boy mowers that we're talking about had alloy decks -- aluminum-magnesium, with more aluminum.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Just went outside to call the friggin' cat, looked in the barn...my oldest one appears to be a 1978 (approx.) vintage 21 inch, self propeeled, electric start aluminum deck model 8241 AE. The manual that came with it is dated 1978 !! The second is an aluminum deck, 21 inch push type, model 7263.
The last is a steel deck, 21 inch push type model 7071. I know that one cost me $20 from Goodwill, the self propelled model did too, paid a whole $25 for it. IT IS CLEAN AND COMPLETE. According to the literature that came with it as well as the manual, this model was the top of the line in the late 70's. Good luck in finding a battery pack for that one though.

It sounds like you've got a great collection and found them at bargain prices. It's always a good sign when you get the original owner's manual with any piece of equipment.

K

KennyV

Good luck in finding a battery pack for that one though.

you can build up almost any battery pack...

JDgreen

JDgreen

you can build up almost any battery pack...

You are right, Kenny...thanks for the idea...I do have a lot of cordless tool batteries that have healthy cells that can be reused. THANKS.

D

DaveR

I have one. In fact I believe I have the same model as you do. Great mower. I also have the bagger but it's been a while since I used that. I prefer to leave the thatch out. Not sure if I'd buy a lawn boy if I were buying a new mower but if this one ever quits on me I will look for the same model again. Inexpensive and reliable. What more do you need?

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

I have one. In fact I believe I have the same model as you do. Great mower. I also have the bagger but it's been a while since I used that. I prefer to leave the thatch out. Not sure if I'd buy a lawn boy if I were buying a new mower but if this one ever quits on me I will look for the same model again. Inexpensive and reliable. What more do you need?

I have a bagger that came with the mower -- I never use mine either.

The newer Lawn Boy mowers (without the two-stroke engines) don't interest me at all. I'm always on the lookout for a deal on a two-stroke Lawn Boy - there's nothing on the market today that compares.

A

a.palmer jr.

Ahhh...storage limitations....so how long have you been married? :laughing:

Seems like a long time!

dwblue00

dwblue00

Yes I have a 10323 Lawn Boy its a 6.5 hp Duraforce.

Attachments

E

earthworm

Mine is a 7229, black handle, running on 50 to 1...is this correct ?
The PO must have been kind and gentle...
Hard to believe its 30 years old...I must agree with "really being built!"...
no paperwork; but I do have 99% of the Roto-Hoe PW...

Fireman 123

Fireman 123

earthworm said:
Mine is a 7229, black handle, running on 50 to 1...is this correct ?
The PO must have been kind and gentle...
Hard to believe its 30 years old...I must agree with "really being built!"...
no paperwork; but I do have 99% of the Roto-Hoe PW...

The lawn boy recommended ratio is 32:1

E

earthworm

Sorry I took so long to get back to you.

I don't know the answer about the deck material but I strongly suspect that never made an all-aluminum deck -- the metal is too soft. I'm a little less certain, but I doubt that they made an all-magnesium deck -- too brittle. My guess is that most of the Lawn Boy mowers that we're talking about had alloy decks -- aluminum-magnesium, with more aluminum.
Impressed am I with the ruggedness of the LawnBoys. One primary reason for their popularity..
My first mower, a rotary, $75,new, had a magnesium deck(as advertised), and you are 100% correct about the brittleness. I'm not sure about this, but its likely that VW also used an alloy in their air cooled engines; aluminum is too soft.

E

earthworm

The lawn boy recommended ratio is 32:1
Ooooohhhhhhhh Boy - pooooor Lawn Boy, I ran her using a 40 or 50 to 1 ratio for 5,000 miles...:ashamed:And I'll have to work on that..I use a synthetic blend from ACE hardware..

C

coolted

Just like our 'Victa Mower'.........been going for 50 years nearly.......these 2 strokes were made to last!:biggrin:

I want a Victa. Only seen them on Youtube.

K

kevinkyle46542

a friend just gave me one a 8214AE bout a 1984 model i guess...i remember these from my youth but never had one or used one before..i bought a plug in chrager on ebay for 30 bucks...found a NOS battery for 80 bucks on amazon..mower is clean and like new... gonna try and fire it up after the battery charger arrives and see what we got..i know these were excellent products and built to last forever

P

Phototone

The REAL question is, does any Lawnboy 2-cycle enthusiast one JUST ONE? I have a couple dozen myself.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

The REAL question is, does any Lawnboy 2-cycle enthusiast one JUST ONE? I have a couple dozen myself.

I've got eight... five running. I'd have more but they're getting really hard to find around here lately.

J

JohnBoy1

I'm down to 25 of them from 32. All ranging from 1952 up to my 98 10525.

unclelee

unclelee

I have a couple sitting around...don't have pics of all of them.
Lol....if I had as many as Johnboy, my wife would put me in the dog house.

E

earthworm

I too, have a 7263 ; serial number 6855026 (from memory) ..
There is a drilled hole ( 3/4 or so) in the deck, right side, rear ..I wonder what this is for ?
All the wheels were worn out, the handle bar brackets are worn .. too much .. but she starts and runs OK .. love to have a bagger ...

unclelee

unclelee

There is a drilled hole ( 3/4 or so) in the deck, right side, rear ..I wonder what this is for ?
All the wheels were worn out, the handle bar brackets are worn .. too much .. but she starts and runs OK .. love to have a bagger ...
They may have drilled the hole to use a hose to clean the bottom of the deck with the mower running.
I have an old toro gaurdian with the hose attachment built in the deck and I have seen wally snappers like that as well.
Lee

E

earthworm

They may have drilled the hole to use a hose to clean the bottom of the deck with the mower running.
I have an old toro gaurdian with the hose attachment built in the deck and I have seen wally snappers like that as well.
Lee
Thanks ..
I'll finish the job and install a hose fitting...
I am using Zoro steelies with ball bearings ..at this point .. not recommended .. But LB originals seem to be impossible to find. ..I was thinking od sleeving the old wheels..

DSepe

1998 Duraforce 6.5 Hp still cuts and runs like new!

J

JohnBoy1

I have a couple sitting around...don't have pics of all of them.
Lol....if I had as many as Johnboy, my wife would put me in the dog house.

She basically did, she had me get another barn for them lol she said it's my new room but I just called it more space for more lawnboys lol

robinb66

robinb66

Somewhere in the forum I have a pic of my 7084 I restored, and the one in my avatar photo, used em all my life and prefer them to any 4 stroke as well as liking the anti scalp technology only found on lawnboys!!

unclelee

unclelee

URL=http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/counterpoint82unclelee/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140524_214700_zpshztvhp7o.jpg.html]
20140524_214700_zpshztvhp7o.jpg
[/URL]QUOTE=robinb66;167104]Somewhere in the forum I have a pic of my 7084 I restored, and the one in my avatar photo, used em all my life and prefer them to any 4 stroke as well as liking the anti scalp technology only found on lawnboys!![/QUOTE]
[/URL[URL=http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/counterpoint82unclelee/media/Mobile%20Uploads/KGrHqZHJEME-nGtZjckBPqvVhvTg60_3_zpsi15x6pot.jpeg.html][/URL[URL=http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/counterpoint82unclelee/media/Mobile%20Uploads/PicsArt_1400678691123_zpszrxedvy7.jpg.html]

unclelee

unclelee

Lots of old mowers copied the Lawnboy anti scalp design.
When I seen the staggered wheel Jake I looked into it...common in the 50s and 60s.

P

Phototone

There is NO DOUBT the front discharge with the staggered wheels produces the ABSOLUTE BEST grass discharge fan out of grass clippings. That is until they started putting stone guards in the discharge. I can see why it was popular. Probably not a patentable feature.

M

MickG

My model 7266 Lawn Boy is about 30 years old and the motor is still in excellent shape. It's very light and powerful.

I have 4 Lawnboys, this is my oldestIMG_0074 (640x480) (600x450) (580x435).jpg

unclelee

unclelee

I have 4 Lawnboys, this is my oldestView attachment 21926

That one is much to old to be of anymore use to you.
You can PM me and I will give you an address to send it to.
Lee

M

MickG

It still works?, and its got coloramic styling!IMG_0078.jpg

Q

QuakerBoy

I have 2 Lawn Boys One is a 1976 Model 5244 19" cut in almost mint condition, Runs great, The other is a Model7268R this one is not so mint but runs great. My pet project is to revive and refurbish a Lawn Boy I grew up with that I kinda blew up from trying to run it on too lean of oil mixtrure. If anyone know where I can find parts or a deck for a 7256 1967 Magnesium deck or other parts for this mower I would greatly appreciate any help I could get !

U

undee70ss

Heres mine. Anyone know yr made?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I mowed with this very same mower when I was a kid. (Im over 50) My parents bought it in the 70's. My dad gave it to me when I bought my first house, (early 90's) and I still cut with it today. The only mower I have ever had. Not much has been done to it over the yrs, plugs, air filter, gas line, a blade or two. Dad always told me if you bought quality stuff and take care of it it would last a long time, guess he was right.

U

undee70ss

Did Lawn Boy ever make mowers with magnesium decks or were they all aluminum, until they switched to steel decks...???
I have one that has magnesium stamped on the deck.

U

undee70ss

I have the same model. It is for the rod that holds the bag.

Q

QuakerBoy

That's correct ! the older Lawn Boys used a rod that attached to the right side rear of the deck where the rod for the grass catcher bag attached.

Q

QuakerBoy

And they did make magnesium decks. They are even lighter than the aluminum decks and just as durable. I don't know why they stopped making them !

robinb66

robinb66

that's a butter cup sweet!!

1982-4502

1982-4502

that's a butter cup sweet!!

I am a new member, and I have a Lawn Boy 7227 D601,4502 F300,Cub Cadet 109,and work for IH 1967,used Lawn Boys,IH Cub cadets from 1962002.jpg

unclelee

unclelee

I have a few more...The buttercup, the JC Penny and the NOS are no longer with me.

B

bertsmobile1

And they did make magnesium decks. They are even lighter than the aluminum decks and just as durable. I don't know why they stopped making them !

Magnesium is 3 times the price of aluminium, good enough reason ?
It also costs 3 times as much to machine as it has a nasty habit of catching fire which can only be put out by smothering with sand or lead oxide.
And yes it burns under water, Those underwater flares you used to see being used in every second programme of SEA HUNT ( shows my age ) were magnesium.
White distress flares used to be magnesium as well.

P

parkboy

Hey Quaker, I now have 2 LBS; a 1989 L21ZSNA and, yesterday a friend gave me a 1969 5238. Both run like a clock! No pix as yet.

Does anyone know where I can get "Bermuda Sand" color paint for the 5238?

Parkboy

B

Bolens800UK

I have yet to collect this as yet unidentified Lawnboy but I am thinking it could be a 2 stroke?

Attachments

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

If my buddy Johnny shows up tonight I'll have him look at yours..... He used to be a Lawn Boy dealer............

B

Bolens800UK

If my buddy Johnny shows up tonight I'll have him look at yours..... He used to be a Lawn Boy dealer............

Thanks; would appreciate identifying it. :thumbsup:

Russ2251

Russ2251

Definitely 2 cycle.
Supply pic of cyl. head and I'll tell you the engine model.
Likely a model F.

B

bogdaN

I have only one-I think that is 1964.When I live in Illinois had many of them.

Attachments

L

LawnboyD409

Looks to be a 8403 with a F241 engine.

B

Bolens800UK

Looks to be a 8403 with a F241 engine.

N

nitehawk55

I have one like that I just rebuilt , it's a 1966 model 7216 with the D-403 engine .

I think that style was only 1966 and 67 but someone correct me if I'm wrong . The batman top was only used for 1965 .

T

Trukfr8

I have five 2stroke commercial lawnboys. Two are at least 30 years old. Three are the 22260, which was the last 2 stroke commercial mower made. One of them is a C21CPN. I bought it brand new in 1989. I’m also a landscaper and these lawnboys get used almost daily. I don’t have any pics but I can take some if anyone is interested.

P.S. I also have a commercial 22242 which is a 2 stoke mower frame but came with a Briggs and Statton 4 stroke motor.

G

green dream

i was given a lawn boy two stroke the only thing it needs is a recoil starter and the right wheels for the back and a blade. it was sitting in the guys backyard for a few years so it was free. when you squeeze the bar by the handle it moves the back wheel. if anyone wants it come and get it.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

It depends on where you are located ........... Your profile info say's United States ..... I am in Louisiana .....

Are you close to me ????

L

Lawnboy77

I have only one-I think that is 1964.When I live in Illinois had many of them.

An interesting setup. It appears that the engine and wheels are actually from a 1968 model, at least that's what the shroud indicates, while the deck and handle are from 1964 model 5232.

I have a few of these old classics. Here are a few pics from over the past 10 years or so. Most of them I do use except for one 1973 brick top and a 1966 model 5234. Hope the pics are able to post to the forum!

Attachments

Mow'N Weeds

Mow'N Weeds

3 regular runners - '96 5hp F-series 19" pusher (great little mower), '98 Duraforce model that just about everyone had/has (my Duramonster), and the '02 Duraforce Easy Stride. Last one added to my runner collection. I'd like to find a nice older 19" pusher yet too.

I have a handful of non-runners laying about too, Duraforce and older Fs.
Also have an early 2000's Honda-powered LB I bought that supposedly needed a drive cable, which I have one on standby. Plan was to fix it up and move along, but it needs a lot of attention on everything non-motor related. Not sure I have the energy to get it fully up to snuff. It's a neglected beast. Motor runs great of course, but I didn't include it in my regular runners since it needs work to make mow-able.
Also have a 90s' deck that had a Tecumseh originally that someone swapped for a Honda LB (just like what came with the fore mentioned mower) but didn't quite get it to function correctly with the drive system. That one's still hanging out, not sure what I'm gonna do with that one yet. More or less bought it for the motor and thought about putting it on a newer 20" LB pusher deck, if that would work even. Adding a new shed this summer.. mostly for mowers :laughing:

Attachments

G

green dream

It depends on where you are located ........... Your profile info say's United States ..... I am in Louisiana .....

Are you close to me ????

i am from pine city washington about 40 miles south of spokane washington. it would probably be a good mower if i can get parts for it.

AnthemBassMan

AnthemBassMan

I have two Lawn Boys. A 1973 #7263 and a 21975 #5024 Bricktop. The 7263 has the magnesium deck, but it's in pretty rough shape. The D600 engine still runs like a beast and fires up on the first pull. The 5024 has a D433 engine and has the typical paint scrapes, but is rock solid. That one is my baby even though the 7263 has a little more grunt in the power.

L8R,
Matt

G

Got-to-be-old

Great tools and will be time to get them out of the shop. I have been collecting for a while and have quiet a few. If anyone needs a hard to find part let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

G

Got-to-be-old

Great tools and will be time to get them out of the shop. I have been collecting for a while and have quiet a few. If anyone needs a hard to find part let me know. Thanks.

Not wanting to step on any toes but I just want to provide another source for vintage Lawn Boy parts. Thanks.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

That's an awesome collection. Six commercial LBs in one photo. :cool: Those are hard to find here in Georgia.

And that old, yellow reel mower. I've never seen one of those. It's got to be pretty rare.

I'm sure you know this, but you can sell vintage LB parts (and complete mowers) on eBay. It looks like you might have a lot to sell if your mower collection is any indication.

G

Got-to-be-old

That's an awesome collection. Six commercial LBs in one photo. :cool: Those are hard to find here in Georgia.

And that old, yellow reel mower. I've never seen one of those. It's got to be pretty rare.

I'm sure you know this, but you can sell vintage LB parts (and complete mowers) on eBay. It looks like you might have a lot to sell if your mower collection is any indication.

Thanks. Been collecting for a while. Sure I sell at times on ebay. I don't really need the money yet ( thanks to Natural Gas Production) I mainly just like to talk LB. I work mainly on mine during the winter months but I am not young and I cant keep up with termanology. I have Craftsman, Reo and John Deere collections. and the older yellow LB is late 1940s with a 6s Briggs if I remember right, all works fine except cables. Thinking of getting one of those cable make up tools. LOL see what I mean. Thanks

C

Canoester

Here is the beater fleet. For the first time all three were operational on the same day.

Attachments

G

Got-to-be-old

Those first two are the classic money machines back in the days of mowing lawns for others. The last one is a museum piece. Very good equipment you have there.

69HemiGTX

Howdy, y'all! I'm new here, and I have had my 1984 8403 for almost a year now. I love this thing. I just wish I would have found this site earlier as I just bought an NOS handle bracket for it (see below).

Attachments

G

Got-to-be-old

Howdy, y'all! I'm new here, and I have had my 1984 8403 for almost a year now. I love this thing. I just wish I would have found this site earlier as I just bought an NOS handle bracket for it (see below).

Great find there. Those are the top dollar machines in my neck of the woods. Well worth fixing up. You won't find a new machine built like the one you got there for the money.:thumbsup:

PS. Congrats on your collage win tonight. But I am pulling for Texas. And I am a Ky fan.

Mow'N Weeds

Mow'N Weeds

Nice 8403! :thumbsup:

AnthemBassMan

AnthemBassMan

Sweet commercial LB!:thumbsup:

L8R,
Matt

Beamster

Beamster

Had one back in the mid 80's and made the mistake of letting it go.
Searching for a replacement.
Is self propelled system worth considering? Does it add significant weight?
What models would be best to search for?

J

jp1961

Hello,

A Duraforce is the last 2 cycle Lawn-Boy made. It does have issues with ignition coils going bad an a somewhat temperamental carb that can be overcome.

An F engine Lawn-Boy is another possibility but they are older and getting harder to come by.

The Duraforce was made from 1998 to 2004, but even they are getting scarce. A 10323 has a steel deck and a 1 speed transmission. It's a good mower, the drive is much better than the capstan drive mower you probably had.

Regards

Jeff

Beamster

Beamster

Hello,
A Duraforce is the last 2 cycle Lawn-Boy made. It does have issues with ignition coils going bad an a somewhat temperamental carb that can be overcome.
An F engine Lawn-Boy is another possibility but they are older and getting harder to come by.
The Duraforce was made from 1998 to 2004, but even they are getting scarce. A 10323 has a steel deck and a 1 speed transmission. It's a good mower, the drive is much better than the capstan drive mower you probably had.
Regards
Jeff

I see DuraForce mowers listed.
I seem to run across 4 number model number mowers rather than the 5 number models.
Somewhere I read that there were some models with metal carbs. I recall that modern pump gas is not friendly to some plastics; Are the plastic carbs susceptible?

How do I know an "F" engine model?

Is there a categorized list of what is what somewhere?

tom3

tom3

The F engine would probably be found on a steel deck mower, muffler exhausts below the deck while the bigger Duraforce has a more conventional muffler and outlet. Both of these would probably have metal carbs. No expert, haven't seen a lot either but just what I've run across here and there. The self propelled mowers I've run across had the dog leg handle, bunch of crap in my opinion, regular simple push mowers were still pretty decent machines. Get some argument there for sure.

J

jp1961

F engine has a donut shaped muffler under the deck a Duraforce has the muffler above the deck.

Regards

Jeff

Beamster

Beamster

Thanks guys.
I can imagine there is less noise having the muffler under the deck.
Would still like to find a general model reference guide. No luck searching so far.

J

jp1961

Hello,

The Duraforce was a product Lawn-Boy produced after being "acquired" by Toro.

The F engine was a Lawn-Boy engineered and produced product.

A lot of Lawn-Boy purists consider the F engine as the epitome of 2 stroke technology. They may be correct.

The Duraforce Lawn-Boys were sold via big box stores to the masses, where as before, if you wanted a Lawn-Boy, you went to a Lawn-Boy dealer and paid a premium price.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Duraforce,,,it's a very good 2 cycle engine, problems with it can be resolved.

The F engine with it's under deck muffler was quiet,,,sounding like a muffled moped, the Duraforce is quite a bit louder with an above deck muffler.

In short, the F engine sounds like a muffled moped where as the Duraforce sounds more like a dirt bike.

Regards

Jeff

M

milehighxr

I have one, model number R8237AE. I'll get some pics up laterer. My dad bought it for my mom to use for mowing the lawn when I was about a year old. It even has electric start. Starter may need work as even after I had Batteries Plus rebuild the battery pack in 08-09, the electric start still didn't work. I even have a service manual, battery charger, bag, and leaf shredding plate for it.

2 questions:

1 It chews thru pinion gears(the one with the helix on the inside) like that is it's job. I think I have replaced 5 in 15yrs of ownership. Unfortunately dad has not been much help in figuring out why, or how to stop it from doing so. I had another with a steel deck(hated it, too heavy) but I had it for 5yrs, and it never once chewed up a gear. Of course it's self propel system needed work every season or 2. And the motors were different enough that I couldn't just swap em...

2 Why on earth doesn't anyone make a staggered deck mower anymore? Lawn Boys are the only ones I've ever seen. They handle soooooooooooooooo much better than the rectangles everyone else makes. Even the modern "Lawn Boys" at Home cheapo are rubbish handling rectangles.

B

bogdaN

I repaired few of those with pinion gear wearing out.Good friend lawnboy dealer told me fix.Just have to plug up small hole in there some where on the bottom.He would say that vacuum in the housing would pull all lube. Like I said did many of them and never come back with drive problem.Dan

E

edporch

I have a 2003 22260 Commercial Duraforce 2 cycle.
I bought new in the last year I could buy a 2 cycle many years ago.

It ran great the first year.
Would start on the first or second pull.

Immediately the second year, it got harder to start and soon got to where if I didn't start it the moment I opened the fuel valve, the carb would flood and it wouldn't start.
And when it ran it would surge.
Finally after some more years, it got to where it wouldn't start at all.
I suspected, but had no proof that running 10% ethanol gasoline may have messed up the carb.
(even though the Manual says up to 10% ethanol is OK)

Since then SOME years ago, I began running only non-ethanol gasoline in my mowers.

RECENTLY, I got it out of the shed to get it running.
Removed the carb and took it apart.

I found the float is all shriveled up.
That might explain the flooding.

It has a "98-7000" carb.
I was told a Toro "107-4607" carb is the same (they do look the same).
So i ordered one.

Hope this will fix it because it's a great mower when it's running right.

Russ2251

Russ2251

the moment I opened the fuel valve, the carb would flood and it wouldn't start.
Just a simple change of needle/float/seat would have solved all but the lean issue.

E

edporch

Just a simple change of needle/float/seat would have solved all but the lean issue.

I see that now.
But I already had another carb on order while I can still get one before I opened this one up.
Guess I'll go ahead and get a needle/float/seat to fix this one.

AND do the jet modification.

Plus, since I began using non-ethanol gasoline some years ago (which a local station sells at the pump), I've had WAY less trouble with any of my smalled engined stuff.

However, that first year I had it, the mower idled steady and ran smooth under power.
It was the second season I began having some issues.

E

edporch

I went ahead and built the carb with parts I ordered.
Started on the first pull!!

Went out and mowed some tall grass.
Runs as good as new!!:biggrin:

W

wvmouser

8243 1987 model and a Duraforce.... My Dad has a 1965 bricktop but it needs carb work.

S

SeniorCitizen

I parked this one in the barn several years ago and it was running then so I shut it off. Now I can barely push a pencil so Boy doesn't get pushed anymore.

Attachments

L

Lawnboy77

I parked this one in the barn several years ago and it was running then so I shut it off. Now I can barely push a pencil so Boy doesn't get pushed anymore.

Very nice machine you have there! A super rare 1977 model 5084.

N

nitehawk55

A couple years back I got lucky and got a brand new in the box Iron Horse D501......that's correct a D501 brick top as a complete bolt on assembly . Was in the original box with the tag . I have not found much info on these but the fact it has Iron Horse marked on the top of the shroud with the starting instructions makes that odd too . No Lawn Boy on the front . I think it dates 1971 with the engine Ser. # starting with 1 and the gas tank is metal too . Built in Peterborough.

guitardude1998

guitardude1998

I have two a 7073 with a steel frame but its rotted out

And i have a 6272e with a bagger i only got a pic of this one tho its a magnesium deck20190724_194734.jpg

H

HoosierSam

YES!! I have several of these great old mowers,and use one every week at our residence since 1980. I'm one of those LawnBoy hoarders too..... Those engines are great performers. I use the same Maxima Castor 927 oil w/ 91oct ethanol-free gas in them as I do in all of my other two-stroke engines(all the dirtbikes,chain saws,trimmers,blowers,Saab 96,etc.etc.) Surprisingly long lived engines. Fortunately a chum of mine purchased an old Lawnboy parts inventory a few years back,so I'm OK regarding parts....

Russ2251

Russ2251

Maxima Castor 927 is not NMMA approved and should therefore be avoided for use in any Lawn-Boy 2 cycle mower.
TC-W3 (outboard motor) oil is the required minimum spec.
nmma certified.jpg

H

HoosierSam

Point well taken,RUSS,I will change lubrication to an NMMA approved brand prior to using any of my LawnBoy engines on the waterways..........:wink: That said,from the standpoint of proper friction management resulting in excellent engine performance and longevity,Maxima 927 is a great product that has served me well in all of my two-cycle engines for nearly a decade....

L

LawnGreen

Greetings. I indeed have a couple.

Attachments

J

j-jock

I am a new member, and I just joined the forum because I have a couple of Lawn Boy mowers that I am looking to get working.
When I was a kid in the 50s, I used an old rope start Lawn Boy with a rope start Iron Horse engine. I loved the old beast, and ran it until I managed to hit something and bent the crank.
My last experience with them was back in the early 70s. It had been seized and I pulled it apart, cleaned up the cylinder, put on new rings, and used it for over 10 years.
That is the reason I decided to resurrect the four I have collected over the years. I don't have the numbers of all the mowers right now, but can post them tomorrow.
The one I worked on tonight, is a 19", model 6024. It was seized, and I freed it up, but it has a bad rod knock. I don't know where to look for parts for this thing, but I was thinking of filing the big end of the rod to reduce the diameter, and then machining it to the proper diameter in the lathe.
I am not going to restore any of them, my intention is to make good runners of them all.
Bob

O

Opahujo

I just joined the forum today and saw this thread started in 2010. I have four of the classic Lawn Boy two-stoke mowers. The fith mower I bought new as a lawn boy Platinum model 10795, But looks like a Toro four-stroke mower painted green and is the only one I have not been able to fix.(Help, I need a wiring Diagram for it.)2009-07-24,FX-10,h,0.50.jpg

logert gogert

logert gogert

cool man, welcome to the forum, theres a lot of intelligent pros on here and good people, we will help you if you have any questions....

tom3

tom3

Nice assortment of LBs there. I always like the friction drive on the rear wheels too, nice and simple. My brother had a couple two strokes, pretty much tore them up, bought a new 4 stroke machine. Hated that thing. Super powered motor but the mower weighed a ton and hard to push and maneuver.

O

Opahujo

cool man, welcome to the forum, theres a lot of intelligent pros on here and good people, we will help you if you have any questions....
I am posting my question right now in a new thread.

mikehouse

mikehouse

20200412_221034.jpg20200412_220500.jpg My silver series 10330

O

Opahujo

I have four real Lawn Boy mowers and still use one of the 19" ones and one of the 21" ones. The oldest one I bought new in 1978.

The fifth mower is labeled Lawn Boy and is I believe actually a painted green Toro mower with a four-stroke engine that I bought after Toro took over Lawn Boy. (comments please) ?

2009-07-24,FX-10,h,0.50.jpg2009-07-24,FX-10,h,0.50.jpg

tom3

tom3

That's one heck of a assortment of LBs. Kind of a history lesson there. I'd bet the least liked of them all was the newest. My older brother has had a couple and his last was the four stroke push, hated that thing. Super powerful motor, took a bulldozer to push the thing though. He now has a four wheel drive something. Hard to beat those early oil burners with the alloy deck.

M

M’MoJo

Just bought my first one. I was the kid that would work on them in the early 90s in Volusia County, Florida. i worked at a pretty good mower shop after school and 60 hour weeks during the summers. I had two or three of them waiting on me at times. Loved them. Just looking at the available parts on eBay tickled me. So now I gotta remember how to fix em. First issue: weak spark.

tom3

tom3

Weak spark is kind of rare with electronic ignition, points? Welcome to the forum. Might have noticed the stuff on Ebay is generally somewhat expensive unlike most other brands. No $20 (new) carbs to be had for the oil burners.

smudge meme lawn boy.jpg

F

Fishnuts2

My 1969 and 1977 LawnBoy mowers. I also am using a DuraForce 10323 now too. I've been following/pushing LawnBoys since 1965!
IMG_1821.JPG

mikehouse

mikehouse

My Lawnboy 10330 (1999)
Husqvarna HU700F (2016)
Gettin' it in!!!!!!!

Attachments

P

Plumberroy

First unless it is a 2 cycle why bother with a lawn boy. A 4 cycle lawnboy is just another mower . I have had as many as 18 running lawn boys at one time years ago. Until last week it has been a long time since I had one. Last week I rescued a Dura-force from the trash . I put a copy l on it tonight and it started right up. It needs a few more things but I plan on mowing with it to see if it is worth putting more money in

B

Blackstar

I have a few more...The buttercup, the JC Penny and the NOS are no longer with me.
What is the one in the 4th picture? I just acquired one that looks just like it. It has no spark. Model 5239A, serial 55653.

S

seattlepioneer

19"! No wonder they were so light!

FuzzyDriver

FuzzyDriver

There's little difference in weight between the 19 and 21. All of my Lawn-Boys are 21 and all weigh like half what a 4-stroke weighs : )/ That huge Lawn-Boy weight difference comes from the simple, aluminum two-stroke engine (no valve train, no oil in the crankcase) and aluminum deck. They're awesome and last forever with only a minimum of maintenance.

M

Mike Horsman

Just picked this up at an estate sale for $10. Needs a carb float but otherwise ok86E0638C-7FFF-4738-983F-46A44F9EB02A.jpeg

T

tokillamurderer

How do you like that oldie? There is one for sale for $75 right now, what do you think?