Export thread

Do I want a Zero Turn mower?

V

vettebob1

I 'was' looking at a 'garden' type tractor. The reason being is I live in the mountains, so to speak, and my 1/2 acre of mowable area needs a machine that can handle the inclines. In my attempt to measure the slope, using the page in an owners manual, I have just less of 15 degrees mostly with one area that might be the 15 degrees and maybe a tad more. I was told by the John Deere dealer NOTto consider a zero turn mower. He said I needed at least a X320. So for the last week or so I have been investigating Cub Cadet, Sears 'garden' type tractors....due to the heavier duty transmission.
I went to the ExMark dealer who also handles other brands and told him about my incline and he immediately shows me the Zero Turn!!!! I said why are you showing me this? I was told NOT to look at these and I did tell him by whom. He kinda chuckled and said he would not say anything negative about the JD folks. His reasoning sounded legit about why a zero turn. 1) the engine is in the rear which puts the weight where it is needed for inclines. 2) the machine is built with a low center of gravity (the John Deere place was going to put fluid in the tires to keep the center of gravity low?) 3)the driver is in the middle not at the end of the machine.

So what do ya'll think? With my incline is the Zero Turn a good choice? The eXMark is kinda expensive but maybe not that much more than other 'good' ones?
I look forward to the responses.

B

Black Bart

Well I'm betting that most people here will tell you that you should buy the tractor but I agree with the X-Mark dealer, If you look at the way a ZTR is made and then a tractor and the ZTR should climb better than a tractor.

15 percent would not be a problem but most will tell you otherwise.

I sure know which I would buy. :laughing:

K

KennyV

Hello and Welcome to the LMF....
There have been several comments about ZTR 'stability' on inclines...
I'm going to guess that most of the negative comment is well intended or misinformed advice..
A ztr is very stable on hills and slopes. The problem inherent with ZTR is not from tipping, side to side or at either end. Like you were told, they are very low center of gravity and the better designed ones are very well balanced...
The only real incline concern is when mowing up or down a very steep hill... If you loose engine power, you not only loose steering but also breaking because the hydro pumps are not operating... You will end up at the bottom of the hill.... If there is an abrupt fall off at the bottom, you will have a problem.

MOST lawn areas do not have a cliff at the bottom of any hill... so this is rarely any concern... With your incline you will not have a problem with a ZTR unless your hill terminates at a cliff, in that case I would recommend not mowing or installing a guard rail regardless of mower type...
Watch this video... Ted demonstrates the standards, and when you must use a ZTR in bad conditions...

You should be fine with a ZTR... I will not even speculate further why the JD dealer is trying to move you toward a tractor type... :smile:KennyV

V

vettebob1

I'm going to guess that most of the negative comment is well intended or misinformed advice..
A ztr is very stable on hills and slopes. The problem inherent with ZTR is not from tipping, side to side or at either end. Like you were told, they are very low center of gravity and the better designed ones are very well balanced...
The only real incline concern is when mowing up or down a very steep hill... If you loose engine power, you not only loose steering but also breaking because the hydro pumps are not operating... You will end up at the bottom of the hill.... If there is an abrupt fall off at the bottom, you will have a problem.

MOST lawn areas do not have a cliff at the bottom of any hill... so this is rarely any concern... With your incline you will not have a problem with a ZTR unless your hill terminates at a cliff, in that case I would recommend not mowing or installing a guard rail regardless of mower type...
Watch this video... Ted demonstrates the standards, and when you must use a ZTR in bad conditions...

You should be fine with a ZTR... I will not even speculate further why the JD dealer is trying to move you toward a tractor type... :smile:KennyV

Thanks for the reply. You mentioned "Watch this video".....where is it?

The Zero Turn mower is an eXmark 'Quest'. It seems sturdy?

I guess the 'tractor' folks seem to think I am needing a garden tractor. I have opened up a can of worms?

I guess I need the eXmark person to bring one out here and try it out?

B

Black Bart

Kenny the Hydro=Gear unit has what is called a dump valve some call it a push valve because you must open it to push the mower.

While it is possible to make the wheels turn it takes a lot of effort and then you can only make it move about a inch the motor can not rotate no place for the fluid to go plus it has a parking brake.

A motor stall on a steep hill with a ZTR would not be nearly as dangerous as a tractor with a conventional gearbox because it only has engine compression to hold it.

Climbing a steep hill can be a problem with anything but a ZTR would not be any worse and better than most anything other than a 4X4.

If the grass is DRY then he should not have a problem with only 15 degrees.

While a ZTR has a much lower center of gravity I would mow up and down rather than sideways.

The secret is make sure it is DRY.

K

KennyV

Oops....
sorry, this has been a very bad afternoon...

this is the video link... YouTube - ‪Front Brake System for Zero Turn Mower - Additional Testing‬‏

Hello Bart.. I think the only time someone would have a problem is if they were to panic, like Ted shows in his simulations.... and on 15 degree slopes, I think the wheel motors will as you point out, keep you in a slow, but not controlled decent...
Watch the video, it is interesting... :smile:KennyV

B

Black Bart

Oops....
sorry, this has been a very bad afternoon...

this is the video link... YouTube - ‪Front Brake System for Zero Turn Mower - Additional Testing‬‏

Hello Bart.. I think the only time someone would have a problem is if they were to panic, like Ted shows in his simulations.... and on 15 degree slopes, I think the wheel motors will as you point out, keep you in a slow, but not controlled decent...
Watch the video, it is interesting... :smile:KennyV
Kenny thanks for the link to the video I had not seen that and also had not heard of the TED BRAKE

The video does not say what drive system is in that mower but I will assume it is a hydraulic pump and motor because my Grasshopper has 2 pumps and 2 hydraulic motors and it can be towed.

It takes great effort but it would move slowly on a steep hill.

My new John Deere has the hydro gear unit and it has what they call a dump valve some call it a push valve but you raise the seat and turn this valve to allow the fluid to flow so you can move the mower.

That was my bad that I did not mention in my original post what system I was talking about.

Since the video was to sell his TED BRAKE he went out of his way to create a run-away situation but I was impressed with how well that machine would stop turn and climb on what is the maximum recommended hill.

I agree that some people would panic in a situation where the engine would stall.
If it were me and their was NO way to stop it I can guarantee you I Would dive off of that thing and it would make the trip to the bottom without me. :biggrin:

Makes me glad that all of my property is flat as a pool table.
One other thing that should be pointed out is that a tractor is just as likely to stall run out of fuel or break a belt as a ZTR and it would be even worse than being on a ZTR.

If you turned the tractor at speed you risk overturning so in my opinion the ZTR is still the better option much lower center of gravity has a far great portion of it's weight on the drive tires making it better for climbing.
Bottom line is I would prefer something like my new JD ZTrak with the Hydro-Gear unit over a tractor on a hillside but the Ted Brake may be a good option to consider if you have steep hills.

R

robert

From page 6 of my 2010 Exmark 'Quest' owners manual:

Under the general comments in the 'slope operation' section: "If you cannot back up the slope or if you feel uneasy on it , Do Not mow it.

The first bullet advisory under this section:

Do Not mow slopes -greater- than 15 degrees.

Now as far as Exmark, purchase with caution, MY Briggs ELS 20 hp is going in for its second starter related warranty repair at under 5 hours on the meter, and the quality of the cut with the 42" deck in heavy grass is not so great AND the ZT2800 drives are simply a consumer transmission, albeit a very high end consumer variant.

My advice, for what it is worth, if you are in the price range of the 'Quest' positively look at the JD 400 series ZT's-yes you will get a Briggs BUT the 'Pro' series engines are NOT classified as the ELS which is the Intek AND Deere seems to have specd some common sense add ons such as the oil cooler and their version of a canister air filter-, if you can go a bit more I would look at the Ferris, IS500 at about $4900 or the Bob Cat Fast Cat Pro, at about $5500-

With your situation, slope operation, I think you need at the very least, an entry level commercial drive-pumps and motors or as a minimum, the ZT3100 which gets you steel gears rather than pressed sintered/powder steel.

I very much regret getting the Exmark Quest and regret even more getting an Exmark-no one cares-the Company or dealer-no one.

Make certain that whatever machine you purchase was stored inside or at the very least outside under cover-next time I special order and pick it up immediately after assembly......

BKBrown

BKBrown

Obviously, the machine I am about to mention is not for everyone, but if you have slopes and would like a multi-function tractor the Ventrac is a GREAT option. :thumbsup:

www.ventrac.com

R

robert

bk, I disagree, the Ventrac IS for everyone-saw one being used for the first time a few weeks ago, impressive to say the least.

B

Black Bart

bk, I disagree, the Ventrac IS for everyone-saw one being used for the first time a few weeks ago, impressive to say the least.
Robert you are assuming that everyone is young and in good shape like you probably are.

When I pull my ZTR into the garage I have a 6 inch stool right in front of where I park it so I can get on and off of it.
I can just barley walk sure as hell can't lift that is why I have the 430 JD with a cab and blower that stays on it year round.

While the ventrac may be great for most it sure would not be for me unless I wanted to hire someone to come to my house and switch attachments.

BKBrown

BKBrown

I'm not going to try and talk anyone who does not need one into a Ventrac, but the attachments are mostly drive up and attach (no lifting involved). Check out their web site. It usually takes me anly a min. or two with very little effort to change attachments. Anyone would not need a stool to get on or off the Ventrac (either the 3000 or 4000 series) because of the articulation there is a step thru entrance/exit.

There are people who don't have enough land, have no need for multiple attachments, or don't want a commercial grade machine who don't need one. I LOVE mine !

A

AndySKane

I recently bought a Ferris ZTR. I highly recommend the zero turn even with slopes of 15 degrees. You will have no problems with them regardless if you go up, down, or sideways.

V

vettebob1

A lot of information has come my way

I want to thank everyone for contributing their ‘opinions’. It truly has been informative. I have been posting to several forums to try to garner as much info and beliefs as possible. The lawn mower forum has pretty much sided with the Zero Turn (but was not too much in favor of the ‘Quest’). The Tractor Forum(s) have pretty much sided with the ‘garden’ type tractor. But….I suppose that should have been expected from each group. I thank ‘KennyV’ for the video link; that was very enlightening.

The video kinda took me by surprise. But not for its information. The slope was said to be 16 degrees and from the viewing of it, it did not look that ‘scary’? When looking at my slope it looks a tad scarier than in the video. Soooooo, that got me to thinking….. I don’t know how to measure a slope? I copied what was in the owner’s manual for measuring a slope. I took my level with me, this time, and aligned the sheet of paper with the level and took a reading. I came up with 15 degrees again with the one area slightly above that…..maybe 16 degrees or a tad more?? Maybe viewing a video is not the same as being there?

Anyway……I am at a cross roads again. The ‘muscle’ of the tractor is impressive but one does sit higher than on a ZTR; which infers the center of gravity is higher? Maybe that is why the John Deere rep said that I would need to put fluid in the tires to lower the center of gravity? That does not make me feel self-assured. The ZTR ‘looks’ like you are closer to the ground (the rider) but the video showing the sliding did not instill confidence either; but I realize he was forcing the issue. With the eXmark the hand brake I believe is down by the feet?not good. And there is NO foot brake.

I know the walk behind mower will work. But at 22” that takes a long time. There are other options of walk behind 26”-33” but they are monsters with all sorts of hand controls and stuff you gotta do and on a slope that does not instill confidence either.

I realize my situation requires I get off my wallet……which I’m having a tuff time doing. I see so many tractors and ZTR’s at around $2K, +/- , but none of them can work in my situation….so I’m told. Spending $3,500 minimally and more than likely over $4K+ is hard to accept.

For those of you who recommend used……….there is absolutely nothing available within 100 miles of here…….I’ve called/checked.

I guess I’ll be ‘walking’ a bit longer unless other opinions/views sway me.

Thanks.

R

robert

vett, each dealer I went to before I bought offered a demo on my site-have you asked for one?
Black Bart, beer came out my nose, I sincerely feel sorry for anyone who is even near the good shape I am in, I think I have almost as many new parts as original....l

S

Slater

vetterbob I think you would be suited just fine with a ZTR, just drive smart :smile:
15 percent would not be a problem but most will tell you otherwise.

15 percent =/= 15 degrees

Robert you are assuming that everyone is young and in good shape like you probably are.
When I pull my ZTR into the garage I have a 6 inch stool right in front of where I park it so I can get on and off of it.
I can just barley walk sure as hell can't lift that is why I have the 430 JD with a cab and blower that stays on it year round.
Also not going to try and sell a tractor that somebody doesn't need, but you have obviously never used a Ventrac. A lot of paraplegic people actually will use the 4000 series Ventrac with a pull bar because they can get into the seat and swing their legs through the center space with ease. All the controls are at their fingertips as well. It is one of the easiest, if not the easiest tractors to get on and off of IMO. As far as changing attachments, I challenge you to find a tractor that is much easier. No lifting is necessary. Drive into the attachments, move a lever to lock the arms in and attach PTO belt or hydraulic hoses, whatever you have.

@vettebob
Hills are always hard to truly capture on video or photos. That is why people scoff at 30 degrees that a Ventrac is rated for because they think their lawn tractor can do 40 degrees *hint* THEY CAN'T! So you are probably right about your hill. If you really want to know exactly, go get a slope indicator from the hardware store for $10 and strap it to a 2x4. Most all lawn tractors and ZTRs are rated for 15 degrees max. I don't see why you would have any problem getting a ZTR that fits in your budget and being happy with it. As long as you don't have obstacles at the bottom of your hill in case of a runaway, you should be fine. So I would get advice from people on here what the best ZTR in your price range is and go from their. Hey, better yet have a local dealer come demo one on your hill and let you hop on and get a feel for yourself :thumbsup:

S

Slater

Looks like Ventrac just came out with a video about slope mowing. Great educational piece on slopes :thumbsup:
YouTube - Slope Mowing with Ventrac
This doesn't directly deal with your situation, but it does touch a bit on some of the dangers of slopes and some of the things that you need to think about.

Briana

Briana

This thread was moved to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum.

wjjones

wjjones

Best thing on the market right now in my opinion atleast its what i am buying next time around..

GTH26V52LS Husqvarna but you have to get this tractor with a fab deck not a stamped deck.

B

Black Bart

Video of ZTR on a big slope and wet grass.:eek:

Video was testing the Ted Brake but watch how it climbs the brake has nothing to do with how it climbs.

YouTube - ‪Zero Turn Mower - Independant Evaluation #2‬‏

V

vettebob1

Sears is selling the GT6000 for $2650+/-
That's almost $1,000 off list.
And it comes with the G730 Hydro Gear tranny.
It weighs just shy of 600 lbs.

What to do?

O

oldyellr

Video of ZTR on a big slope and wet grass.:eek:

Video was testing the Ted Brake but watch how it climbs the brake has nothing to do with how it climbs.

YouTube - ‪Zero Turn Mower - Independant Evaluation #2‬‏

I didn't see him cutting any grass. If that's all you want to do, a dune buggy or 4-wheeler is what you really need.

B

Black Bart

I didn't see him cutting any grass. If that's all you want to do, a dune buggy or 4-wheeler is what you really need.
Seems you missed the point of the video.

The video was a demonstration of the Ted Brake not how well it mowed. :confused2:

B

buster57

I must need to measure the angle of my slope. When I tried a JD717A , at one time or another, the front wheels were off the ground almost all the way up the hill . It was very unsettling. I went for the B7800 with MMM instead.

I am unconvinced the ZTRs are as good as a 4WD CUT on a steep hill, but then again what is the definition of 'steep'? In Oregon I suspect 30 degrees is a 'mild' hill.

B

Black Bart

I must need to measure the angle of my slope. When I tried a JD717A , at one time or another, the front wheels were off the ground almost all the way up the hill . It was very unsettling. I went for the B7800 with MMM instead.

I am unconvinced the ZTRs are as good as a 4WD CUT on a steep hill, but then again what is the definition of 'steep'? In Oregon I suspect 30 degrees is a 'mild' hill.
Their is NO WAY that a ZTR will climb as well as a 4x4 anyone who thinks it can is a fool.

A ZTR can climb as well as a tractor with 2 wheel drive and open differential.

The ZTR is very light on the front so if you are not careful you will wheelie a tractor is much more likely to spin out rather than wheelie.

The fact that the front is light is why a ZTR will climb good all the weight is on the drive tires but their is no way it can climb as well as a 4x4.

B

buster57

"The ZTR is very light on the front so if you are not careful you will wheelie a tractor is much more likely to spin out rather than wheelie."

Funny-that is exaclty what I told the JD dealer. "I was popping a wheelie all the way up the hill!". He looked at me funny but knew real fast what I meant. I loved the JD717A but there was no way it would work on my hill. The JD dealer took it right back.

BKBrown

BKBrown

I'm not going to try and talk anyone who does not need one into a Ventrac, but the attachments are mostly drive up and attach (no lifting involved). Check out their web site. It usually takes me anly a min. or two with very little effort to change attachments. Anyone would not need a stool to get on or off the Ventrac (either the 3000 or 4000 series) because of the articulation there is a step thru entrance/exit.

If you have some land (especially with slopes) and could use multiple attachments, check out the Ventrac machines. :thumbsup:

U

Uncle Nabob

I 'was' looking at a 'garden' type tractor. The reason being is I live in the mountains, so to speak, and my 1/2 acre of mowable area needs a machine that can handle the inclines.

I have a mostly level yard with some steep areas. One area is a driveway cut through a bank from the highway. I couldn't mow it with a compact tractor and finishing mower. It would slide down the slope, and there was a ditch at the bottom. Going across the slope would have been suicide. With a push mower, even it would turn up on its side when mowing across the slope. Needless to say, this slope is well over 15 degrees. It is difficult to walk up. From construction work, I don't think of slopes in degrees, but in the rise ratio. This slope approaches a 2:1 (one foot of rise per 2 feet of horizontal distance). Cars, trucks, mowers, and tractors handle 3:1 slopes with caution.

I bought a Cub Cadet Zero Force 60" with steerable front wheels. It sits on the slope well and climbs it with no difficulty. While other zero turns might also sit and climb as well, the problem is the front wheels. On steep slopes the uphill drive wheel loses traction, and the caster wheels of most zero turn mowers "go with the flow." On the Cub, the front wheels allow me to turn with confidence up the slope without worry about losing traction. (I also slide the seat forward and tilt the steering wheel upright to put more weight on the front.)