Do I need a new starter?

aaronj

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the feedback men. the spring and drive gear for the starter are new. I thought that the gear would need momentum to turn flywheel, i just tried it again after spraying silicone on the gear and the gear engaged the flywheel but wouldnt turn it even with momentum. i found a new brushplate for $30 i guess thats what i need unless there is some other reason the starter is dragging. have 10 volts at the starter that should be enough right?? again thanks for all your help

aaronj

Forum Newbie
Threads
no its not a ohv not that is says on the motor anyway. 19.5 twin i/c briggs and stratton

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is this an over head valve engine? If so the valves may need adjustment. Mine is very touchy and that needs to be done 2- 3 times a year.

It sure wouldn't hurt to check valve adjustment. I have around 700 hrs. on my Kohler and have never had to touch the valve adjustment. Don't know what engine you have or hours you run it in a year but if you have to adjust your valves that often I would say there is a problim comeing up. The only place I have ever heard of a engine needing that many valve adjustments is on some of the junk chinese engines.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
thanks for the feedback men. the spring and drive gear for the starter are new. I thought that the gear would need momentum to turn flywheel, i just tried it again after spraying silicone on the gear and the gear engaged the flywheel but wouldnt turn it even with momentum. i found a new brushplate for $30 i guess thats what i need unless there is some other reason the starter is dragging. have 10 volts at the starter that should be enough right?? again thanks for all your help

I don't know what money you are investing in this starter or already have but it looks like maybe you could have bought a rebuilt starter from NAPA for less. I guess it is hard to know when stop on something like this. Now what happens if you spend 30 dollars on the brush plate and still have problems? I would say bite the bullet now before you spend another 30 dollars and buy a rebuilt or used starter. Also didn't you say earler the battey was bad. You know you have to buy a new one anyways so why not start there. You are runing this starter off jumper cables you said. You may have the volage but not the amps. I know I hate to spend money also.

aaronj

Forum Newbie
Threads
my jumper box claims to put out 55 amps i assumed that was enough. i have 10 volts present at the starter i assumed that was enough also. if its possible a new battery would solve the problem i will try it first, i just wanted to go once and get all needed parts preferably as few as possible

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
my jumper box claims to put out 55 amps i assumed that was enough. i have 10 volts present at the starter i assumed that was enough also. if its possible a new battery would solve the problem i will try it first, i just wanted to go once and get all needed parts preferably as few as possible

Yes your jumper box may say 55 amps but without a good amp tester you don't know what is going to your starter also high amps would be a bad starter.

aaronj

Forum Newbie
Threads
just put a new battery on and she fired right up. thanks for your help everyone

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good that you replaced the battery.
10 Volts is NOT enough to work the starter... :smile:KennyV

packkelley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Starter turns but wont engage flywheel. I have a fairly new solenoid and ignition switch and have a good ground connection. I know the battery is bad but shouldn't it still at least try to crank with a jumper? Any help would be appreciated. Oh yeah, last year the plastic bushing around the stud on the starter disintegrated. I put the pieces back in and siliconed it together never had a problem. I took the brushplate out and it seemed ok to me but i didnt really know what to look for. Thanks
Did you get it figured out

aaronj

Forum Newbie
Threads
actually, today, after 2 months of trouble-free starting she wouldnt start hot. (motor turns over but wont crank) maybe twice out of 15-20 attempts to start i heard the starter spin without engaging the flywheel. never did figure out why it wouldnt start but i think it will after it cools off. (dont know exactly what that means) but it seemed like i was again having a problem with low voltage getting to starter.