Deck Design ??

TobyU

Threads
@RayMcD
Tell us something about your deck. Are those baffles part of the mulching kit? If they are, where are the standard baffles?
If that is the mulching kit baffles, you will need mulching blades and not high lift blades.
If you want to side discharge, you will need the side discharge baffles and high lift blades.
Or just knock the the lousy green crap down and don't worry about it.
You're just going to have to do it again in about a week. 2-3 weeks for me because I hate grass that much.
Wait! Does that mean I should mow every 3 days. DIE GRASS DIE!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or just knock the the lousy green crap down and don't worry about it.
You're just going to have to do it again in about a week. 2-3 weeks for me because I hate grass that much.
Wait! Does that mean I should mow every 3 days. DIE GRASS DIE!
Let’s see how @RayMcD answers my questions.

RayMcD

Threads
@RayMcD
Tell us something about your deck. Are those baffles part of the mulching kit? If they are, where are the standard baffles?
If that is the mulching kit baffles, you will need mulching blades and not high lift blades.
If you want to side discharge, you will need the side discharge baffles and high lift blades.
Hi MParr, let me clear up some questions, first the mower is set up as it was purchased. All thought they may appear to be I never added a mulch kit, part#s right off the original parts listing.
38 4165972.7 BAFFLE-FRONT, CENTER
48 1 39 4165971.7 BAFFLE-FRONT,
LH 48IN 1 40 4168527.7 BAFFLE-FRONT, RH 48IN 1

I typically side discharge but do have a foot operated chute blocker that I use to protect plants and when I am near my cars. Seldom do I kick up large stuff but one can never be to cautious, years back never forget a rock coming through my Grandmother's bedroom window.

I find it strange that the baffles between the blades do not end in points (as I see on most decks) but have the recessed back area where the grass is collecting.

I typically run either the original original blades (29 112111-01 BLADE 16.25 OFFST HLFT) or after market 112111-01 that is simply flat with a longer cutting edge. Both provide a very nice cut but I understand with deck in the same height the flat blade leaves the grass slightly longer. (And no one ever suggested altering a blade but I am seriously considering altering a baffle to see if I can eliminate this issue).

Typically if it is painted I wax and bare metal get an oily brush. I understand there is allot of experience here and sharing helps us all.

Your thoughts are most welcome, Cheers, Ray

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It certainly looks like a mulching deck. I certainly wouldn’t spend the time or money modifying the deck. You could try running without the front baffles or play around with different blades. Scrape the underside of your deck when you change or sharpen your blades.
There are two that you could try. You may need 1/4” spacers to make up for the winged profile of the original blades.
I hope that you have good luck finding the right combination.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well what they supplied you was a deck with the mulching kit fitted
Throwing deck have a single curved front baffel or no baffel at all and just allow the grass to pass along the path shown in green on your original diagram
Search Mulching kit for your mower and you will see your baffels as a bolt on
Down here I can not find an IPL for your mower they appear to be geo-locked .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well what they supplied you was a deck with the mulching kit fitted
Throwing deck have a single curved front baffel or no baffel at all and just allow the grass to pass along the path shown in green on your original diagram
Search Mulching kit for your mower and you will see your baffels as a bolt on
Down here I can not find an IPL for your mower they appear to be geo-locked .
It sure looks like those are mulching baffles under there. I expect to see something like SCAG or Gravely uses for side discharge. Modified V baffles that parallel the front leading edge of the deck.

RayMcD

Threads
It sure looks like those are mulching baffles under there. I expect to see something like SCAG or Gravely uses for side discharge. Modified V baffles that parallel the front leading edge of the deck.

Attachments

• 48 side discharge CRZ.JPG
    48 side discharge CRZ.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 3

RayMcD

Threads
If his was a mulching deck would there not be a panel to close the discharge? r

TobyU

Threads
Hi MParr, let me clear up some questions, first the mower is set up as it was purchased. All thought they may appear to be I never added a mulch kit, part#s right off the original parts listing.
38 4165972.7 BAFFLE-FRONT, CENTER
48 1 39 4165971.7 BAFFLE-FRONT,
LH 48IN 1 40 4168527.7 BAFFLE-FRONT, RH 48IN 1

I typically side discharge but do have a foot operated chute blocker that I use to protect plants and when I am near my cars. Seldom do I kick up large stuff but one can never be to cautious, years back never forget a rock coming through my Grandmother's bedroom window.

I find it strange that the baffles between the blades do not end in points (as I see on most decks) but have the recessed back area where the grass is collecting.

I typically run either the original original blades (29 112111-01 BLADE 16.25 OFFST HLFT) or after market 112111-01 that is simply flat with a longer cutting edge. Both provide a very nice cut but I understand with deck in the same height the flat blade leaves the grass slightly longer. (And no one ever suggested altering a blade but I am seriously considering altering a baffle to see if I can eliminate this issue).

Typically if it is painted I wax and bare metal get an oily brush. I understand there is allot of experience here and sharing helps us all.

Your thoughts are most welcome, Cheers, Ray
Did you just buy this more recently?
If so, I can kind of see the concern because it's a new toy but either way, I feel there's way too much thought and emphasis but into this situation..
It's a mower, you turn on the blades you drive over the grass and it cuts the grass. That's really all I care about.
Actually, I mostly care that I, or somebody has to do that and that we have to do it so often and it's monotonous, boring and repetitive but I digress...
The only thing about mowing, decks or blades or anything else that bothers me is when I do get around to ~having~ to do it and I do know over the tall annoying grass, that there could be some little stragglers sticking up.
Yes! This bothers even me!!
I don't get the motor out, waste my time, money, effort to run over a width of grass and not have every single square inch of that area grass blades cut!!
I can get a little irate over it.
I sold a couple mowers because of it.
Of course my constant mower count is in the hundreds so that's not saying much but I've had a couple of mowers that despite my best efforts and everyone else's comments, help, suggestions... would just not know without leaving fairly undesirable quality of cut even in my low expectation opinion.
But mulching, discharge, bagging, high lift, OEM, Gator blades, full length sharpened etc...mean little to nothing to me personally.

This does remind me that I have to trim up my front yard sometime this week because it's probably already the worst looking one on the block because you know... I'm the mower guy who fixes mower so my lawn is the worst looking one. Lol.
But I almost look forward to this so I can prove a point.
I have a nearly new snapper 64 volt battery powered mower I think it is 64 volt.
While the only good thing I will say about it is the battery mowers are evolving and eventually they will be more like normal lawn mowers instead of the cheap flimsy narrow plastic proprietary part mowers that they've been for the past 10 plus years.
This mower is exactly like a cheap Murray push mower since Briggs owns Murray and snapper along with many others.
So at least respect that it has normal wheels, normal height adjusters, a normal blade.
But, I do want to prove my point that I've told too many, many customers over the years that most if not all battery mowers on the market won't even cut my front yard on one charge!

Battery powered equipment may be convenient for some but that convenience comes at a sacrifice currently.
That sacrifice is typically in two noticeable areas of duration of cutting time and power.
Sure, if you want to roll your mower over grass that really doesn't need to be cut like someone who gets a haircut every 3 weeks does where you can barely tell but it's just slightly trimmed... Then if you walk quickly enough or the propel moves fast enough, you might be able to do a decent size yard.
But when you mow a yard like I do..
Like many people in my area and across the country do that is above ankle biting dog height....you will not Moe my front yard or the average front yard on one battery.
And this is one of the better battery systems on the market with a pretty good size battery with pretty high amp hour. I will have to check the number on it but it's not like some of these little ones.

louwdj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gentlemen, I looking for a solution to prevent grass gathering on the back of the baffle between the blades. The first photo show an up skirt shot of the deck. View attachment 63788

Next is a paint sketch trying to show the problem I am addressing.
View attachment 63790

This is not perfect but I believe you can get my point, look at what would be the leading the leading edges of the small red circles, this is the back side of the front baffle between the blades. This area continually packs with grass clippings. I'm considering cutting out a block/spacer an attaching it to the deck to fill this space. It would have to be small enough to clear the blades but block the formation of a build up in this space. Has anyone else tried to correct this issue? thanks, Ray
Interesting issue. I suspect those spaces are there to let the grass through to the discharge opening. One option will be to change the baffles. "Straighten out" the small circle so that the grass will flow better. From 12 o'clock on the left hand small circle, to 12 o'clock on the big circle, to the left of it. Three o'clock on the right hand small circle to 3 o'clock on the big circle above it. Or, leave the baffles as is, and simply weld a small inverted cone shape in the middle of the small circle so that the grass will fall off. Diameter of the base of the cone, about two thirds on the diameter of the small circle.