Deck Design ??

RayMcD

Threads
Gentlemen, I looking for a solution to prevent grass gathering on the back of the baffle between the blades. The first photo show an up skirt shot of the deck. UNDER_DECK_VIEW.JPG

Next is a paint sketch trying to show the problem I am addressing.
DECK.png

This is not perfect but I believe you can get my point, look at what would be the leading the leading edges of the small red circles, this is the back side of the front baffle between the blades. This area continually packs with grass clippings. I'm considering cutting out a block/spacer an attaching it to the deck to fill this space. It would have to be small enough to clear the blades but block the formation of a build up in this space. Has anyone else tried to correct this issue? thanks, Ray

Attachments

• DECK.png
    DECK.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 6

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the areas circled the blades are spinning in opposite directions so any clippings that are not running along the green section get pushed & pulled as well as packed against the top
This is a sign that the owner is trying to remove too much grass in one hit and overwhelming the deck or the blades are spinning too slow
It is normal to get a dirt & clippings build up in that zone if the deck is not cleaned between uses
Some times the weld where the baffels join is too rough so clippings hang up and on the multi piece baffles some times you get a crack there which also holds the grass.
Usually the full round baffles are part of the mulching kit which require the correct blades to work and a lot of time will not work with Gator style blades

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The only other way is to completely seal up the area with heavy sheet metal. Now this does cause other problems as the steel metal can wear and get damage requiring regular checks.

THe manufacture seen it as an extra expense they weren't will to go through.

RayMcD

Threads
In the areas circled the blades are spinning in opposite directions so any clippings that are not running along the green section get pushed & pulled as well as packed against the top
This is a sign that the owner is trying to remove too much grass in one hit and overwhelming the deck or the blades are spinning too slow
It is normal to get a dirt & clippings build up in that zone if the deck is not cleaned between uses
Some times the weld where the baffels join is too rough so clippings hang up and on the multi piece baffles some times you get a crack there which also holds the grass.
Usually the full round baffles are part of the mulching kit which require the correct blades to work and a lot of time will not work with Gator style blades
Bert, the leading edge of each of the blades are turning toward the side discharge. Very little clipping make it to the are I drew the green line in. My intent is to re shape the area of the front baffle between the blades, removing the area where the material is sticking. thanks r

RayMcD

Threads
Watch youtube above. Baffles are used when bagging, I personally would remove them. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
Mark, I reviewed the videos. Really don't see anything that I think will help. I believe if I remove the entire front baffle it will cause the deck to loose lift and deposit material across the entire front edge. Not ready to try this as a solution but I appreciate the suggestion, r

RayMcD

Threads
The only other way is to completely seal up the area with heavy sheet metal. Now this does cause other problems as the steel metal can wear and get damage requiring regular checks.

THe manufacture seen it as an extra expense they weren't will to go through.
ST, it's not the void area (where I have green line) that is the problem, It is simply the area that resembles a W where the blades meet. typically I see this come to a point, on my deck it almost looks like a W, it is the middle of the W where the grass is sticking, r

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
ST, it's not the void area (where I have green line) that is the problem, It is simply the area that resembles a W where the blades meet. typically I see this come to a point, on my deck it almost looks like a W, it is the middle of the W where the grass is sticking, r
Then if that is the case you trying welding some flat metal like metal lawn edging to straighten the area. That might resolve your problem without having to do a lot rework as long as blades don't hit the new plates.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Best design is one single blade. End of message. His and her push mowers........

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Once again this is a MULCHING deck set of baffles
Thus the grass is running in a clockwise direction inside all of the blade circles
So as first posted at the intersections of the cutting circles the left side clippings are going down and the right side clippings are going up
Thus the clippings stop moving for a second because the air flow is going in opposite directions so just like in a flowing stream the clippings loose speed and in your case stick to the deck.
Now I personally would leave them there as they do not hinder the deck air flow, in fact they enhanse it .
They build up because there is too much volume of clippings or you are using the wrong blades .
That is is nothing more & nothing less
On my commercial customers who drop their mowers off on Friday for a weekend blade sharpen & deck clean, they all have build ups there and I leave it alone
The build up of grass clippings should not be a problem
Whrong blades, mowing too fast or cutting off too much grass is the problem
The deck build up is not a problem anywhere other than in your mind .