Cub XT1 50" Shuts Down when PTO is Engaged

skippymud

Threads
Put it all back together.
Start it up and engage PTO at full throttle. Does it kill engine?
If it does remove the deck belt from the PTO pulley.
Start engine and engage PTO. Does engine stay running and PTO pulley spin?
If yes then you have a deck problem as long as there is no issue with engine power.
Hi Hammer
Deck installed, started engine, engaged PTO, engine dies
PTO engages fine with belt removed
Strange though, with PTO engaged and spinning and no belt, I am able to travel in reverse w/o using the override
The spindles spin freely
I confirmed the belt configuration / routing to be correct
No issue with engine power. This Kohler 7000 Series 24hp runs on both cylinders

But question please: Is there a secret to getting the deck belt around the PTO easily on this 2015 Cub XT 50"? The spring on the idler pulley is SO tight that it seems impossible to install on my own. The only way I was able to test the PTO again was to not include the center blade pulley in the belt routing, which gives me the necessary slack for install

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Normally you can just twist the belt onto the the PTO pulley. If it is too tight to to get on the pulley it sounds like something is wrong with the deck. I don't think you have a switch problem.

skippymud

Threads
Normally you can just twist the belt onto the the PTO pulley. If it is too tight to to get on the pulley it sounds like something is wrong with the deck. I don't think you have a switch problem.
Hey Hammer

I hear ya. There is something wrong with the deck which I noticed only today during further inspection. 3/4's of the spacer washer that secures the idler pulley is broken off at the head and causes the ASSY to ride high and probably unstable - Mr Idler wobbles like a(n) SOB. I will replace that washer. But why do you think this belt is so impossible to install onto the PTO? Maybe wrong belt, which would perhaps explain the broken hardened steel washer thingy

Pending the arrival of the new washer/insert, my plan will be to follow the words of ILENGINE and check the reverse safety ASSY behind the right rear wheel. Just been too hot here in southern New York State recently to do so. Oh, this tractor rides in reverse with the PTO engaged (deck on, no belt attached). Is that even supposed to happen?

Thanks All!
Ken

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Hello All

Model: XT1
M/N: 13WQA1CQ009
DOM: 03/2015
S/N: 1C125H20445
Engine: Kohler 7000 Series 24hp

Cub XT1 50" Shuts Down when PTO is Engaged. It doesn't sputter or anything; the engine just shuts off quick
With Deck removed (no load), the PTO engages just fine. This tractor has just 50 hours on it
Anyone have any good word

Hey Hammer

I hear ya. There is something wrong with the deck which I noticed only today during further inspection. 3/4's of the spacer washer that secures the idler pulley is broken off at the head and causes the ASSY to ride high and probably unstable - Mr Idler wobbles like a(n) SOB. I will replace that washer. But why do you think this belt is so impossible to install onto the PTO? Maybe wrong belt, which would perhaps explain the broken hardened steel washer thingy

Pending the arrival of the new washer/insert, my plan will be to follow the words of ILENGINE and check the reverse safety ASSY behind the right rear wheel. Just been too hot here in southern New York State recently to do so. Oh, this tractor rides in reverse with the PTO engaged (deck on, no belt attached). Is that even supposed to happen?

Thanks All!
Ken
You need to remove the tensioner spring on the deck. This spring tensions the tensioner pulley, which tightens the PTO belt.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two circuits that can cause the engine to shut down when the blades are engaged
1) seat switch + PTO switch
2) reverse switch + PTO switch
To check the latter, engage the blades while driving forward slowly engine at full speed
Engine does not cut out = Reverse switch
Engine does cut out = seat switch

Verify seat switch ( as written in your owners manual )
Start mower engage parking brake then stand up
Engine stops = bad seat switch or wiring to it .

skippymud

Threads
Hey berts. Thanks. I will check this seat switch and parking brake ordeal tomorrow

ILENGINE, I have yet to check out the reverse safety ASSY but will do. I value your theory and thought process

Mr Seat Switch is a 4-pin configuration which is new to me. Lots of safety switches on these newer models. I run a Jacobsen model 1000 born in 1978 with a Kohler K241 - A beast at 900lbs dry. Has very little safety things. Reverse mow all ya want :) I don't have kids by the way

Attachments

• 2001- 6-27 - Smaller Cropped DSCF2179.jpg
    2001- 6-27 - Smaller Cropped DSCF2179.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 2012-07-02_18-49-47_678 - Smaller for email and shit.jpg
    2012-07-02_18-49-47_678 - Smaller for email and shit.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 1