cub cadet sltx 1054 blades slow down

kingjames1

Threads
I have a 2010 1054. The blades slow down if they even look at "tall" grass. The engine doesn't slow down though. I've triple checked the deck level and height, have been greasing everything diligently since I've owned it plus the idler pivot. I put anti-seize on that and it is free. The spindles are all free and not binding. I put on a new deck belt 2 weeks ago. The only other thing we can think of is the PTO clutch is slipping. Is that possible? I checked the volts at the plug for the PTO clutch and am getting 13.1 volts there; engine running and PTO switch on. Thanks for any help you can give.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sc2400 Information for your tractor. Are belts slipping, blades clean, balanced, dressed up and torqued to specifications?
Also is under side of deck clean? Just some basic problems associated with blade issue

Full Manual section 7.

Last edited:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could need to adjust the clutch.
And/or change the idler pulley spring to a stronger one. Or can run a belt 1/2 shorter.

I find with lots of mowers the belt slips in tall grass.

kingjames1

Threads
Sc2400 Information for your tractor. Are belts slipping, blades clean, balanced, dressed up and torqued to specifications?
Also is under side of deck clean? Just some basic problems associated with blade issues.

yes for all. I don't smell the belt burning when this happens so I'm assuming they are not slipping.

kingjames1

Threads
Could need to adjust the clutch.
And/or change the idler pulley spring to a stronger one. Or can run a belt 1/2 shorter.

I find with lots of mowers the belt slips in tall grass.

I'm not sure this one can be adjusted but I wouldn't know since I've never had to work on one before. I'm going to try the shorter spring though. The one on there now is about a year old. Changed it when I discovered the idler arm froze up. That's when I put anti-seize on it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Google pto clutch adjust and you will be able to tell by looking at it if it's adjustable.
Lots of good info on YouTube. That's how I learned how to adjust them. It really is easy. I have not had to adjust my clutch in over 400 hours.

I use trampoline springs.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Anytime anything slips it will result in a lot of Heat... get an infrared heat gun (no contact thermometer) check the clutch pulleys and belts... something will be getting Hot... :smile:KennyV

kingjames1

Threads
ok, thanks everyone. I got something to run with now.