Cub Cadet RZT 42 Not Starting - Replaced "Everything"

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet RZT 42 Not Starting - Replaced "Everything"
The Kohler Courage SV530-0022 has only one ignition coil with one white wire connected to it from the wiring harness. (See images.)

The red wire from the harness goes to the carb. The green wire goes to an unidentified contraption.

How would I test spark by removing the white wire?
Oil pressure switch.

By trying the start the engine. If it starts up then you must either choke the engine to death, shut the fuel supply, or pull the spark plug lead to stop the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The white wire isa ground connection so it is either ground ( no spark ) or open ( engine running ) .
So you check the MOWERS wiring by removing that white wire which creates an open circuit ( engine running ) connection for the coil.
No spark usually means the coil is shot

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The unidentified thing the green wire goes to is the oil sending unit. On some units with the sending unit the oil light will flash when it is time to change the oil and flash for 2 hours and go out on its own. Yes remove the white wire and check for spark. If it sparks the problem is in the safety system on the tractor.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
ok here are some things I have run into in this kind of situation brake switch and pto switch. U say pto switch how would that stop it from starting. The start circuit goes through the pto switch so you can't start it with the pto engaged. With pto engaged it opens the start circuit and with it disengage it closes the start circuit so it will start.

JeepTed

Forum Newbie
Threads
SOLVED:

As previously mentioned, I had replaced nearly everything relating to fuel and spark on the Kohler engine - carb, fuel pump, fuel and air filter, spark plug, and ignition coil. I even corrected the lash of the valves. And, because the engine still would not start, I took it to a shop.

Come to find out, when I replaced/re-installed the ignition coil, I didn't install it close enough to the fly wheel. Its gap was too great to create spark. I should have, but didn't know that was a thing. Shop tech said it fired right up after setting the right gap. DOH!

Last edited: