Cub Cadet RZT 42 Not Starting - Replaced "Everything"

JeepTed

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cub Cadet RZT 42 Not Starting - Replaced "Everything"
Cub Cadet RZT 42 (17AE2ACG756)
Kohler Courage SV530-0022

Mower sat for a while (couple months). Took a while to get it started. Ran it once to cut lawn.
Sat for another week or so. Then wouldn't start at all.

I have replaced the following:
Carburetor
Gaskets
Air filter
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Spark plug (gapped)

Still won't start.

Suggestion?

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Won't start, not enough information
Exactly what do you see , hear , feel & smell from the time you bum hits the seat and when your toe hurts from kicking it.

JeepTed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine turns over, but won't start. I don't recall smelling anything.
While the air filter cover was off, after replacing the carb, I could see fuel in the "tunnel" (whatever that thing is called) while attempting to start it.
I did verify fuel is flowing. I removed the fuel line from the carb and turned the key. Fuel flowed as expected.
Nothing is blocking the air intake.

The new carb is not exactly like the OEM because I can't find the OEM version. The mower is a 2007 that had a Walbro carb (LMT, I think). The OEM had a single wire coming off the solenoid. The new one has a wiring harness that is not keyed to indicate the "correct way." I have no idea what the solenoid is supposed to do or if the position of the wiring harness matters. But, I do hear the solenoid click when the key is turned to the run position.

I don't know what else to check. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fuel solenoid is spring loaded closed
So take it out and turn the key on & off.
Most are not polarised so the wires can go either way round
I use a 9V square transistor battery ( often found in multimeters as well ) to check suspect solenoids
They come in 2 ways
1 wire for carbs that have a good ground ( metal manifold )
2 wire for carbs that are electrically isolated from the mower
The solenoid blocks off the main jet ( some times idle jet as well ) so no fuel gets sucked through the carb after you turn it off .

Check you have a spark at the plugs
Put a tiny amount of fuel dowwn the plug hole, replace the plug & crank the engine
Let us know what happens

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
fuel sitting in the intake, if you ask me, is indicative of a float needle issue... of course with a new carb that should not be so... have you checked your engine oil, and smelled of it? be sure there is no gas smell to it.
Kohler plus is showing the Carb part number as being 20 853 33-S
which has one red positive connector on the carb solenoid, and a green ground wire from the carb body that goes to ground on a shroud screw.
Will it fire up if you spray starting fluid directly into the carburetor via the air box.. (remove the filter and spray directly in the carb "venturi"?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take the air cleaner off and spray a little gum out carb cleaner and see if it fires on it. I worked on a mower for a lady and the fuel shut off solenoid was bad. Replace it got it running she took it home and mower her yard one time came back and was upset that it did not run said she didn't want to spend any more money on it. Kind of insinuated it was my fault. OK gave her the benefit of the doubt. Checked it out found a mouse had chewed the coil wire completely in two. Worse one I have ever seen. I fixed it with a used ign module and very little labor and told her she would need to take care of her mouse problem. Oh yes I forgot to mention I got quite a large mouse nest out of the engine the first time I worked on it. So check to see if a mouse might have eaten the coil wire.

JeepTed

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I will check on all those things tomorrow after work and report back.

Venturi; that's it. ;)

JeepTed

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is no spark at the spark plug. Never tested spark before. I pulled the plug, re-connected the plug wire, and connected a ground strap to the plug. No spark. Is that a good method?
Do I need to replace the ignition coil?

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
There is no spark at the spark plug. Never tested spark before. I pulled the plug, re-connected the plug wire, and connected a ground strap to the plug. No spark. Is that a good method?
Do I need to replace the ignition coil?
There are a number of things to verify before replacing the coils. each coil has one high tension lead and either one or two small wires. If only one, usually black, remove it and test for spark. If you now have spark, the harness and interlocks are the fault or switches. IF each coil has two small wires, you need more assistance and identification of type of ignition.

JeepTed

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Kohler Courage SV530-0022 has only one ignition coil with one white wire connected to it from the wiring harness. (See images.)

20210813_093310 - Copy.jpg

Cub Cadet Kohler Courage SV530 Wiring Harness Small.jpg

The red wire from the harness goes to the carb. The green wire goes to an unidentified contraption.

Cub Cadet Kohler Courage SV530 Ignition Coil Wiring Small.jpg

Cub Cadet Kohler Courage SV530 Ignition Coil Small.jpg

How would I test spark by removing the white wire?