Cub Cadet LT 1045 no power to the starter

person34

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

This is an electrical issue.

I have a Cub Cadet 1045 that worked a week ago.
When I try to start it, the head lights came on, but no click noise in solenoid, and no crank at the starter.

The main problem is that I have no power to the starter.
I took the cover off and I saw the starter clutch stuck in the flywheel.
I took the starter off the tractor and connect it to battery ..nothing but sparks.
I took the starter apart, and discovered that the magnets inside were loose. I reglued the magnets, I put it all together, connected the jumpers ,and the starter spins (fast) . The problem is that the starter spins in the wrong direction ..from left to right and is not possible to engage the flywheel. It should spin from right to left, and it does spin (at low speed) if I reverse polarity.
Is this happening because I may have installed the magnets 'upside down '?

I still do not get power to the starter.
PTO is off, when on it shows on display.
The brake is on and locked -show on display.
Seat safety is temporary baypassed
The engine rotates by hand.

I use a voltmeter and a continuity tester.
I checked the solenoid, is good, has continuity and power when I turn the key on/off.
The start switch is good ..I took it apart and checked continuity when I turn the key. :
I checked the fuse.. I have continuity, and power.
I have continuity from the positive battery terminal to the positive starter terminal.

I just can't figure it out...or I am not checking good enough.

Thank you for any suggestions and advice.

Molerj

Threads
Hello,

I checked the solenoid, is good, has continuity and power when I turn the key on/off.
So, there is 12 volts going to the solenoid? If yes, then is there 12 volts going to the starter with the key in start position? If no, then the solenoid is bad, but make sure it has a good ground. Two spade terminal solenoid, follow ground wire to frame. One spade solenoid is grounded to frame by bolts. If all is well, then problem is the starter. As for the starter turning backwards and you are positive the battery is hooked up right, then my guess would be the magnets. Probably better off with a new starter, but if you can unglue the magnets, I guess it's worth a try.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes if you have the poles backwards on the magnets ... the starter Will turn backwards....
If you used the proper glue, (Made specifically for mounting magnets in motors) you will not be able to remove them without damaging them.
If you used any other type of adhesive you likely will be able to correct the instillation...
But use the proper glue when you go back. (watch for correct poles & proper spacing and placement).

Check the starter solenoid, You may have cooked the contractor inside it when the magnets were loose. also insure that you have power going to the solenoid at the small terminal (with key switch turned to start position) ...
:smile:KennyV

Molerj

Threads
Check the starter solenoid, You may have cooked the contractor inside it when the magnets were loose.
:smile:KennyV
I'm thinking you meant contacts, not contractor. but needless, I don't understand how that would have happened. The solenoid gets the power from the switch and the tips inside the solenoid are closed providing 12 volts to the starter. I don't think the magnets have anything to do with the solenoid.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't think the magnets have anything to do with the solenoid.

IF the starter is locked up because the magnets have jammed the armature ... It, the starter, Can draw enough current to cook the contacts in the solenoid... You can check this out with a DVOM... measure the output Large terminal of the solenoid with the Key held to start... You should have 12 volts at both the small terminal & the large one that connects to the starter... :smile:KennyV

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Molemj, listen to Kenny V, he hit the nail right on the head. Person34, I would replace both the starter and the solenoid, as I feel that this will be your easiest and cheapest way to solve your problem in the long run.

person34

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to thank everybody for taking time to read and replay to my post.

I will recheck everything again on Monday..( I am away for the weekend )

As far as faulty parts, I am 90% sure that the solenoid is good, but I will inspect it again, and if I can take it apart I will do it.
I used JB weld to glue the magnets...so is no turning back for that .... but I am thinking to reverse polarity to the starter ( Isolate the negative port of the starter from the chassis and attach the positive wire to it and run a wire from the chassis to the positive terminal of the starter ) ...kinda complicated and backwards. If the tractor works, I may consider to brake the bank and do it the right way.

If you have any suggestion, please post it.
I red a post about a relay connected somewhere between start switch and solenoid, ..I just can't find exact details .

Thank you
Have a great day !

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you try to do what you are saying, you may not be able to charge your battery or ruin the battery and other electrical components. Be very careful.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like Rivets said...
...you May end up with a Lot more problems & more part$ to replace.... :smile:KennyV