Criteria for choosing a mower brand

macky

Threads
There are many brands of lawn mowers available in the market today. This forum alone lists a good number of them. What has been your criteria for choosing from the many brands and models available?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Type and size of area to be mowed. Slopes or flat. Lawn only or rough cut areas also. Just mowing or multi-purpose machine. Commercial duty or homeowner quality. MADE in USA Type & brand of engine -
How much do you want to or can afford to spend.
?????? Just a few

mois25

Threads
Cost is a good aspect of it all but if possible, let it come last. You need to bear in mind that in the very end, the mower will be all yours. As much as the views of a friend(s) matter, simply use them as a benchmark when you are sure all will be well.

macky

Threads
Thanks BKBrown. That was exhaustive enough about the choice of the model. I think what you're saying is that the model has to correspond to the kind of work it is expected to do. Did I get that right?

Now, given two brands of comparable*models, I get this impression that the brand of choice is the one recommended by friends. Just as mois25 suggests, I am looking for more objective ways of choosing, now that I have the luxury of time to study the options.

I just read other posts in this forum. It seems like choice of brand should consider availability of spare parts and after sales service from where I live. I'll benefit a lot from that insight coz I didn't think of that very fundamental criterion :)

Twinkle

Threads
I have always tended to go for the brand with the best reviews, those may be recommendations from people I know and also web comments. So far I never had to think about more than a regular mower for a lawn. Now we are looking for something bigger I am focusing equally on which has a good name for the things I need it to do in conjunction with reliability.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks BKBrown. That was exhaustive enough about the choice of the model. I think what you're saying is that the model has to correspond to the kind of work it is expected to do. Did I get that right? YES I forgot to include the local sales and service with parts availability. It would be a good thing to visit local dealers to see what they have and the kind of service available. It also depends on how much of the service you are able (and willing) to do for yourself. I like having one machine that can be used for various jobs. Dad always said "Buy the best tools and equipment you can afford." Good luck with your decision ! :biggrin:

I just read other posts in this forum. It seems like choice of brand should consider availability of spare parts and after sales service from where I live. I'll benefit a lot from that insight coz I didn't think of that very fundamental criterion :)

Wouldn't let me post with answer inside your quote unless I answered outside too.

lizard

Threads
Why buy when you can hire the machine and see if you like it.
Then you can make a informed decision whether to buy one like it or not.
This is the best option as then you will be happy with the choice you make.:smile:

macky

Threads
Hmmm! You mean renting a machine from the supplier themselves? I haven't thought of that. That's an excellent suggestion :) I'll check around if that's possible here.
:thumbsup:

lizard

Threads
Hmmm! You mean renting a machine from the supplier themselves? I haven't thought of that. That's an excellent suggestion :) I'll check around if that's possible here.
:thumbsup:

Hiring is always good as you get to see if you would like to end up owning the machine........rather than being sorry you ever laid eyes on it.
Australia is very popular with Hiring............it is a Huge Business!:rolleyes:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
- Compare brands online (specs/price/features)
- Read reviews (epinions has a lot)
- Visit local dealers (not big box stores)
- Test drive (which feels best?)
- Price

If you're buying a high quality mower (say, $1500 or more), the dealer relationship will be very important if you plan to keep the mower for a long time. So that can really make a difference. Often times a reputable local dealer's endorsement of a brand by simply carrying it is enough to convince a lot of buyers.