CraftsmanT-130 18.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Issue

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Craftsman, I suspect when you hit reply to somebodies post it is highlighting what is in the quote box, and then when you start typing it overwrites the entire quote. What is should look like is the quote in a colored box and then your cursor below that box.

DLCarson

Forum Newbie
Threads
From your description most likely one or both of the following causes. Assuming OHV the valve are out of adjustment preventing the ACR from working or the ACR on the camshaft is broke and laying in the bottom of the engine sump waiting to do damaged to other vital parts leading to factory smoke release. Getting us the model number info will allow us to assist you better.
Thank you for your assistance on this. I will supply more model number information. It is a 2019, T-130, 540 cc, 18.5 gross HP Briggs & Stratton riding lawn mower. Briggs & Stratton "features" is listed on the top of the engine. Also stated on top of the engine is "cranks like a car, no choke starting." I can take the spark plug out with a hot battery and it will spin over every time. Then when I put the spark plug back in, with a hot battery, it will NOT spin over, acting like the motor is locked up. I then hook the battery charger to the battery, and it will then spin over and crank every time and runs good. I'm thinking I may need a larger cranking Amp battery?? Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Yes, sometimes have been able to bypass the broken compression release with a new, stronger battery. It won't fix the broken camshaft though.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes, sometimes have been able to bypass the broken compression release with a new, stronger battery. It won't fix the broken camshaft though.
But in the long it will destroy the starter.

Briggs did recently make a design change on the camshafts in these 310000 series engines. Or at least the last camshaft I received had a design change to the ACR.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Did it look more durable?
Can't really tell other than the lifter/tappet is not hitting it as much. They hour glassed the pin so the only contact is at the camshaft lobe.

RevB

Threads
I am a self-employed lawn mower repairman, and have been repairing small engine equipment for many years. I am currently working on a Craftsman T130 that is causing me major grief! Following is the issue with the mower, along with parts I have replaced:
When I try to start the engine, it tries to start, but will NOT spin completely over. It acts like the engine is locked up, but engine is NOT locked up. Then the starter gets warm/hot along with the cable end at starter.
I am next going to check the forward-neutral-reverse switch and plunger on the rear-end for shifting rod.
I have replaced the following parts:
1) two new belts 5) new positive battery cable terminal
2) two new safety switches (brake and blade engaged) 6) new starter
3) fixed park brake with new "park index control" 7) charged battery
4) New solenoid
ALL TIPS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Ever test the battery? Charging a battery with sketchy internals does nothing.

fordman55

Forum Newbie
Threads
have you checked the starter?? it may have a dead spot on the armature where it will crank , then quit. relase the key and try again and it cranks, or keep trying key , ive had it where the cable and starter get warm to hot after trying for a few minutes, because of the brushes or comutator on the armature not being in good shape. maybe try another starter? or have this one rebuilt?