CraftsmanT-130 18.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Issue

mpqualdie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am a self-employed lawn mower repairman, and have been repairing small engine equipment for many years. I am currently working on a Craftsman T130 that is causing me major grief! Following is the issue with the mower, along with parts I have replaced:
When I try to start the engine, it tries to start, but will NOT spin completely over. It acts like the engine is locked up, but engine is NOT locked up. Then the starter gets warm/hot along with the cable end at starter.
I am next going to check the forward-neutral-reverse switch and plunger on the rear-end for shifting rod.
I have replaced the following parts:
1) two new belts 5) new positive battery cable terminal
2) two new safety switches (brake and blade engaged) 6) new starter
3) fixed park brake with new "park index control" 7) charged battery
4) New solenoid
ALL TIPS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
The compression release on your camshaft is broken so it won't release the compression, not allowing it to spin past the compression stroke. It's an easy fix if your mechanically adept. Remove the motor, drain the oil, flip it over and remove the bottom, change the camshaft and lower seal (on the removed engine bottom) and then put it back together. Adjust the valve rockers. Take painstaking time to ensure all of the shrapnel from the broken compression release is cleaned out of the motor. Take your time to clean the crankshaft and put the bottom back on as well or the seal will leak when done.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
MP, replacing a cam shaft is not as easy as you describe. You forgot to mention that the valve clearance will need to be checked and adjusted after assembly. For the inexperienced guy this can be a challenge.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not mentioning some seals tend to roll if a seal installation sleeve is not use allowing the gather spring to become dislodge causing oil leakage.

RevB

Threads
Thank you for your assistance on this. I will supply more model number information. It is a 2019, T-130, 540 cc, 18.5 gross HP Briggs & Stratton riding lawn mower. Briggs & Stratton "features" is listed on the top of the engine. Also stated on top of the engine is "cranks like a car, no choke starting." I can take the spark plug out with a hot battery and it will spin over every time. Then when I put the spark plug back in, with a hot battery, it will NOT spin over, acting like the motor is locked up. I then hook the battery charger to the battery, and it will then spin over and crank every time and runs good. I'm thinking I may need a larger cranking Amp battery?? Any suggestions?
Thank you!
Damn little amps needed to crank a no compression engine. Much more amps required to spin one with compression....hence engines that have an auto compression release.

Jumper the battery with another known good battery....use your car, truck, tractor....anything to provide more capacity. That will inform your decision and further refine your search as to faulty component(s).

Last edited:

mpqualdie

Forum Newbie
Threads
MP, replacing a cam shaft is not as easy as you describe. You forgot to mention that the valve clearance will need to be checked and adjusted after assembly. For the inexperienced guy this can be a challenge.
I said if your mechanically adept, and also said to adjust the valve rockers when done. But for someone that has mechanical ability it is a fairly simple repair. And there is a lot of info and videos online that can help you through it as well.