Craftsman walk behind loses power on small inclines SOLVED

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Craftsman walk behind loses power on small inclines SOLVED
Wonder if the ignition coil kill wire is grounding out at said angle?

Agree it shouldn't immediately die if you raise the front wheels. Bowl should have enough to run for 30 seconds or so.

I would remove the coil kill wire and see how she runs with her feet up.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check to see if the plug is black. Choke plate might be sticking closed or partially closed.

juicer

Threads
Check to see if the plug is black. Choke plate might be sticking closed or partially closed.
changed the plug as old one tip was nearly burnt off AND it was black
been running the new plug for a few days so can pull tomorrow and see its condition
dismantled the carb today and hosed everything in sight with carb cleaner
same as before

juicer

Threads
I am going back to Google noodling as I read somewhere a poster's Craftsman mower had a 22 degree limit on slope?? Can that be? My other 6.5 HP Craftsman self propelled does fine on the same inclines...
Mine doesn't seem to want to do a 15 degree slope.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
No, but good question ie that would indicate running rich? so I guess I am back to gas starved...
yes, black smoke is running too rich,

juicer

Threads
yes, black smoke is running too rich,
ok so no black smoke so sounds like fuel starvation.
I've never had an issue with the coil kill switch and in fact can start the mower with the front wheels raised. I dismantled the carb today and removed the float pin and checked the seat and needle valve and sprayed it to hell and back with carb cleaner. Didn't dig any further into the carb as I don't have any gaskets etc on hand and anyways a complete new carb is only $8 delivered.
fuel line from tank to carb is fully patent and I dragged a knotted cord thru to be sure.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
ok so no black smoke so sounds like fuel starvation.
I've never had an issue with the coil kill switch and in fact can start the mower with the front wheels raised. I dismantled the carb today and removed the float pin and checked the seat and needle valve and sprayed it to hell and back with carb cleaner. Didn't dig any further into the carb as I don't have any gaskets etc on hand and anyways a complete new carb is only $8 delivered.
fuel line from tank to carb is fully patent and I dragged a knotted cord thru to be sure.
Wonder if the ignition coil kill wire is grounding out at said angle?

Agree it shouldn't immediately die if you raise the front wheels. Bowl should have enough to run for 30 seconds or so.

I would remove the coil kill wire and see how she runs with her feet up.
Have you tried any of these yet?

juicer

Threads
only thing not tried was disconnecting the coil kill wire but with it connected I am able to start with the front wheels raised without difficulties.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
only thing not tried was disconnecting the coil kill wire but with it connected I am able to start with the front wheels raised without difficulties.
Okay but disconnect the kill wire and see for sure. Mow with it disconnected and raise the deck several times. Might be some bad insulation on the kill wire shorting out the coil when the deck is raised? Shot in the dark......

Kill wire disco'd, mower should run till the fuel tank is dry.