Craftsman walk behind loses power on small inclines SOLVED

juicer

Threads
  • / Craftsman walk behind loses power on small inclines SOLVED
7 HP Craftsman Model 917 370691 Front wheel drive walk behind self propelled mower.
B&S engine
Loses power on small inclines.
Runs great on flat surface or downhill. If I tip the front wheels up it starts to lose power with or without drive engaged.
Lift the rear wheels up it runs fine.
Cleaned the carb float bowl and venturi bolt. Nothing unusual found. Clean air filter. No fuel filter present on this model.
Fuel tank is full and oil is at correct level.
Carb float is hinged towards the rear of the mower.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Cusser

Threads
Sure sounds like the incline is preventing fuel flow. Can you loosen the fuel cap temporarily and try? Might have to lower the gas level in the tank for this.

juicer

Threads
Sure sounds like the incline is preventing fuel flow. Can you loosen the fuel cap temporarily and try? Might have to lower the gas level in the tank for this.
tried your suggestion
no difference

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's a racing slick front wheel issue with no traction. Front wheel drive and slopes. Think about it.

Has nothing to do with losing power if the mower is fine on flat ground.

Front drives are horrible especially if you bag, gets even worse. Rear drive is where it's at.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
with or without drive engaged.
Ok reread what was stated. Shifting gears.

Look for low carb float level, gas cap trick or the like. Something limiting fuel flow at said angle. Fuel tank low in gas?

juicer

Threads
appreciate the eyes on.
gas full.
near instant response... raise front wheels runs like crap but is it fuel starved OR too rich???
tomorrow in daylight I will remove and clean the line from tank to carb. there is a dip in the line but you would think there is enough fuel in the float bowl itself to accommodate the tipping at least in the immediate response. I tried right after allowing the mower to sit (the bowl SHOULD be full) and immediately upon starting had the same response.
Replacement carbs are all of $8 but I am challenged by the WTF factor.
Thanks for playing along.

juicer

Threads
OK Took everything apart again to check the fuel lines and everything seems normal.
I am at a loss as to where to go next.

dougand3

Threads
Fuel line partially blocked? Fuel line is too long and makes a big dip between tank and carb? I'd change the fuel line next - $1.50 a foot at auto parts store.

juicer

Threads
It is as short as it can be as it rounds the body of the mower from tank to carb. Ran a knotted rope through to make sure there wasn't any debris collected in a bend.\
As I noted previously, the response is instantaneous. i.e. as soon as I lift the front wheels off the ground (no self-propel engaged) it runs rough. Takes a second or two once I set it back level with the ground or lift the rear wheels to return to normal..

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Does it blow any black smoke when it acts up?