craftsman tractor run faster

boston

Threads
How would I go about making a craftsman lawn tractor with a 5 speed faster?Mayb to about 25 mph. I was told that taking off the governor would do it but wouldnt the engine run too fast and wear something down?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The best way is to change your pulleys. You can just put a smaller one on the back.
The best thing to do is make the front and back pulleys the same size.

Don't do anything to the engine till you have rode around for awhile.
Take it easy and slow there is nothin safe about doing this you will get hurt

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
One more thing

YOU GOING TO GET HURT
But it is alot of fun

boston

Threads
Can it be done without changing the pulleys because I wanna stay away from that

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can get more RPMs out of the engine and maybe get 3 more mph out of it.
Or change the back pulley and go twice as fast at half rpm

tybilly

Threads
my friend done this for a festival.they took a J.C, penny rider and had the police clock it at 40mph,the brakes were bails of straw at the end of the strip

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
tybilly said:
my friend done this for a festival.they took a J.C, penny rider and had the police clock it at 40mph,the brakes were bails of straw at the end of the strip

What are brakes? LOL
I just take my foot off the gas Petal if I have to stop fast I pray and down shift.
It does slow down fast just take foot off gas.
I used a bike hand brake and cable for a gas petal

marvc

Threads
Why would you need to get so much more speed from the mower, unless you are useing it for racing or the like? I have a DYT 4000 w/24hp B&S gear drive, and have plenty enough speed. Maybe I am getting too old for the higher speed (57 yrs old), sounds dangerous to me.:eek:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why would you need to get so much more speed from the mower, unless you are useing it for racing or the like? I have a DYT 4000 w/24hp B&S gear drive, and have plenty enough speed. Maybe I am getting too old for the higher speed (57 yrs old), sounds dangerous to me.:eek:

It's just fun. I go mudding with mine

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have one of my customers that races go carts. They use lawn mower engines and race just about every week end. The only thing they do is remove the governor other then that its a stock. They get around two year running out of a engine. I don't know how long a race last or how many races they run in a weekend but he tells me they run them wide open and run somewhere in the 60 MPH range. Just curious why do you want your lawn mower to go so fast? I agree with the other post you would be a lot better off by changing the pulleys along with the governor. Also does anyone know what kind of RPMs you get out of a mower engine without a governor? As far as a working lawn tractor gos I try to keep them in the 3500 + or - RPM range.