Craftsman Steering Problem

jimbeau

Threads
Thanks to all. When I got the mower it had a sever toe-out. I replaced the drag links with adjustable ones (threaded ends). They were too long. I cut off 1/4" from each thread and that aligned the tires. I agree that most of us don't need sharp turns but I find that I can't judge the turns accurately enough to prevent the flop-outs. Stops on the steering plate should. work by stopping the drag links. I also think you might weld something on the spindles to stop the wheel. Any ideas about buying the parts to put the mower back to regular steering (only one drag link on each side?)

jimbeau

Threads
When the ball hoints wear out this kit is better than OEM. This is what i put in.
Thanks. I installed this kit and it took care of the alignment but didn't help the flop-out. I had to cut off 1/4" of each thread in order to get alignment.

jimbeau

Threads
When the ball hoints wear out this kit is better than OEM. This is what i put in.
Thanks. I installed this kit and it took care of the alignment but didn't help the flop-out. I had to cut off 1/4" of each thread in order to get alignment.

jimbeau

Threads

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
have you tried (probably with two people) pushing the front of the tires together then the back when the wheels are straight ahead to see if there is a change in toe? I use a track rod or tape measure with a line drawn on the tire using a nail and piece of wood to make the line to measure toe. Lift tire, spin and use chalk to make a wide while line, use nail thru piece of plywood, bend tip, set on ground spin tire with nail rubbing on chalk to make a fine line, remove tool, set wheel down, do other, then rock or roll vehicle a foot or so, then use tape or track rod to measure toe. Set to manufacturer's specs, if none exist typically set between 1/16" and 1/8" toe in.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When some one starts to market an uprated after market part it says something about the original design

jimbeau

Threads
THANKS TO ALL! I am new to forums. I think while replying to one response I inadvertently erased it. The suggestion was to restrict the travel of the steering plate, thereby limiting the angle of turn. I tried that but the normal play in the linkage required quite a loss of steering plate angle to avoid the flop-out. I think if I can physically restrict the spindle turn in both directions I will get the maximum steering angle while avoiding flop-out. I report any finding. Again, thanks for your suggestions.

jimbeau

Threads
Here is A fix that works for me. This scheme restricts the turn angle of the steering plate. If the linkage is tight you may need nothing or can use only one bolt. This restrictor can be moved when the linkage gets looser. I adjusted mine until just before the inside wheel flopped and I lost steering. The advantage of this over welding a restrictor on the steering plate or wheel yoke.is adjustability. Mount a restrictor on each side of the steering plate. If a wheel flops on either side move the corresponding restrictor in a little bit. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• GTa.jpg
    GTa.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 18
  • GT2Pa.jpg
    GT2Pa.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 17
  • GT3Pa.jpg
    GT3Pa.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 18

johnorlandi

Threads
Jimbeau is this something you made or purchased if you made would you please send some dimensions and how to install

My son bought a craftsman T3200 model 13BGA22W093 from Lowes and he has the same problem. Lowes won't help they told him to go to Craftsman and they won't help (after several emails) they told him to go to MTD so he is going to write them and see what they can do. The lawn tractor is still under warrantee, and he also purchased the extended warrantee, and the closest service center is over 100 miles. Any help would be appreciated
Happy Thanksgiving

jimbeau

Threads
I made this out of scrap metal. The goal is to limit how far the steering plate turns in either direction. Technically, you need two washers and a bolt/nut for the stop. I used two bolts and spacer washers to keep the stop from slipping. This whole steering setup is poorly designed. It MIGHT work when new but as soon as the linkage ball joints wear a little, problems begin. If I had a newer machine I would try one bolt (the largest that will fit in the slot) with a heavy washer on top and one on the bottom. You can move this stop as needed.

I was given this mower and all of its components are well worn. I considered the steering a Safety issue that needed a fix. If you enlarge the 3rd picture you can see slot. It's easy to reach up and drop the bolt thru. Hope this helps.