Export thread

Craftsman riding mower

D

DRM1

Starter turns over the engine about one turn then stops. Turns over engine fine when the spark plugs are removed.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Starter turns over the engine about one turn then stops. Turns over engine fine when the spark plugs are removed.

Bad battery, poor battery cables or connections, starter brushes worn out, starter solenoid. Sounds like you are losing amperage some place???

M

mechanic mark

Post your tractor model number from under seat as well as all numbers from engine data plate. Check oil level on dipstick, make sure its on full mark.

B

bertsmobile1

And check the valve lash

D

DRM1

And check the valve lash
Thanks, I will give it a try.

D

DRM1

Post your tractor model number from under seat as well as all numbers from engine data plate. Check oil level on dipstick, make sure its on full mark.
It's a 917.272280. Thanks.

M

mechanic mark

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/manuals/results?NTT=446777-0165* adjust valves to specs. with engine cold per this engine manual.

D

DRM1

Thanks! It worked.

F

Fritzm

Which fix worked, valve adjustment, starter motor brushes? I just joined this evening and I am having the exact problem with my Craftsman riding mower. Any help would be appreciated. Dumb luck I found you on my first try having the same problem.

D

DRM1

Which fix worked, valve adjustment, starter motor brushes? I just joined this evening and I am having the exact problem with my Craftsman riding mower. Any help would be appreciated. Dumb luck I found you on my first try having the same problem.

Adjusting the valves did the trick.

B

bertsmobile1

The problem is you yougens have only ever known hydraulic lifters or bucket adjusters.
back in the days of the side valve it was a part of monthly maintenance.
So the boring old farts ( me to a T ) always look at them but I get mowers in for a service where the rocker cover has never been removed.
Which leaves a bad taste in the mouth as checking the valves is part of both the predelivery and first service.