Craftsman Riding Mower Stuck in Reverse

rlmslo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi

I am posting this for a friend. He has an older 19.5 HP Craftsman riding mower with a Hydrostatic transmission. Yesterday, while he was mowing his lawn, a friend came by to talk with him. Instead of moving the transmission lever into neutral before turning the engine off, he left it in reverse when he turned to engine off. Now it is stuck in reverse. Also, it won't start. It seems like there is no current to the starter switch. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks!

rlmslo

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm sure there is a safety switch that won't allow starting in gear. He may need to rock it to get it back in neutral -- my JD 318 had a release lever so you could push it (released the hydro) --- maybe someone else is familiar with how to get it back in neutral so it will start.

Last edited:

Lakash

Forum Newbie
Threads
get a test like and look for a solenoid and test that and also check all the safety switches too under the seat and the brake/clutch :D

i have a 18.5 vtwin crapsman and i get the same problems sometimes

and also check the battery see if its charging or even holding a charge
it should have 12volts through the whole system :D

you also may need to by pass some of the safety switches

and as to why it is stuck in reverse i couldnt really tell you but
you can try rolling it back and forth for a few seconds and see if it goes in neutral or forward gears
cause it happens to dirt bikes and atvs sometimes it might work for this too :D

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a lever on the back on the right side pull it out and you just be able to get it out of reverse if that don't work unplug the switch that is under the forward reverse lever and remember to push the brake peddle down

Sent from my iPhone using LMF