Craftsman Pro Series 8200 PTO cuts off and on

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is because MTD don't want you just buying the relay; they want you buying the whole wiring harness. I found multiple MTD built mowers that this relay is not listed for either but it is still there. This why I looked the harness image to verify that it was present or not.

It was shown on a lot of the electrical schematics but I couldn't find the part listed either. It took removing a harness to find it on the CC ZTR that PTO was giving problems of just shutting down after I mowed with for 30 minutes. I would backup which disengaged the PTO but it would not re-engage going forward.

If you look at the image from my database you see several optional supplier PNs.

Last edited:

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thanks Star Tech... will try that part next... Today got a electrical smell.. so must be some relay or something burned. I'll take the gas tank out and look for that relay in the tower.

As to why some of us don't automatically go to a pro is that I like to try and fix stuff myself. I do have experience as a vehicle mechanic for 30 plus years. For stuff on small engines like mowers and electronic PTOs, my knowledge is lacking... but always willing to learn. Also its good to go to a tech if you can find an honest one that isn't going to charge you a ton of money.

Thanks and will give update once I have one.
Jimmy
Not picking on you, however, with 30 years as a vehicle mechanic, you of all people know that replacing parts without seriously attempting to diagnose the actual problem is not the way to go about it. I would say that most repair shops are honest and try to do the right thing. I would also say that labor rates are high because of payroll, expenses, overhead, etc. There is a competitor that is not always honest, is expensive, and can have a mean temper. He is the best competitor I have because he sometimes drives business my way.

JimmyIron

Threads
Ahhh I just found a image of the wiring harness. It got that stupid hidden relay that likes to fail. I would suggest replacing the relay. I have had them to fail like the problem described.
View attachment 68784
View attachment 68785

Located in the operator tower.

Ahhh .. Found the relay on wiring harness close to body of engine. Ordered and should have it this Saturday. will update as soon as I install and test.

Thanks.

Jimmy

Last edited:

JimmyIron

Threads
That is because MTD don't want you just buying the relay; they want you buying the whole wiring harness. I found multiple MTD built mowers that this relay is not listed for either but it is still there. This why I looked the harness image to verify that it was present or not.

It was shown on a lot of the electrical schematics but I couldn't find the part listed either. It took removing a harness to find it on the CC ZTR that PTO was giving problems of just shutting down after I mowed with for 30 minutes. I would backup which disengaged the PTO but it would not re-engage going forward.

If you look at the image from my database you see several optional supplier PNs.
Yeah that is the problem I have with small engine repairs... hard to find good info online. Nothing like working on automobiles.. lots of information and diagrams out there. I'm thankful for blogs like this one and you guys who have experience and are willing to take the time to help.

I do appreciate it!

Jimmy

shootinblanks

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman Pro Series 8200 that the electronic PTO was cutting off when mowing the yard. I did a lot of research and replaced the PTO switch, Electronic PTO clutch, initially and still had the same issue. The mower at times seemed to not want to start ( already have new battery) and so I replaced the ignition switch. It started up normally but still had the issue with PTO switch engaging but cutting off.

I checked voltage of battery ... with motor off 13 volts.. with engine running on high idle 15 volts. So after more research I replaced the voltage regulator and took a chance to replaced the interlok since it was pretty cheap. It seemed to fix the issue.. it ran and PTO stayed engaged. That lasted about 4 times around the large back yard... and it everything seemed to be working fine. Then all of a sudden it started to cut off.. and on. What was really weird as was pissed and stomped on the forward pedal and the PTO would engage but cut off... each time I hit the pedal hard, PTO would engage and then cut off.

Anyone have experience with some weird issue like this? Already replaced PTO switch, Electronic PTO clutch, Ignition key switch, Interlok switch and the voltage regultor.

So frustrated with this thing. otherwise engine runs really good.

thanks

Jim
check associated wires. either that or the connectors there is a disruption between the pto switch and the solenoid, guaranteed

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yeah that is the problem I have with small engine repairs... hard to find good info online. Nothing like working on automobiles.. lots of information and diagrams out there. I'm thankful for blogs like this one and you guys who have experience and are willing to take the time to help.

I do appreciate it!

Jimmy
Very true. There is the range of some OEM's don't produce service manuals to some that are very good ie JD to some that wouldn't make good fire starter. MTD products especially are bad at not keeping up with service manuals and what that have are 10+ years old. And don't have wiring schematics, and tech support will tell you to your face that the mower you are working on doesn't use relays when you have 3 in your hand from the mower.

Freddie21

Threads
I would go right to the seat switch and the reverse switch.

JimmyIron

Threads

If you look at the image from my database you see several optional supplier PNs
Replaced the relay today and that didn't make a difference. I also went ahead and deleted the plugs from the wiring harness to the PTO.. Direct wired them as the plugs seemed not super tight and I could jiggle them slightly. Same thing.. didn't do anything to fix the issue.

JimmyIron

Threads
I would go right to the seat switch and the reverse switch.
Since I've thrown the kitchen sink at it.. ... I never thought about replacing the seat switch, because wouldn't the motor cut off if that was bad? It runs fine, its just the PTO coming on and off while running. Motor never dies.

Also searched sears parts central and there is no listing for a reverse switch. There is a reverse electrical harness listed for my mower.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since I've thrown the kitchen sink at it.. ... I never thought about replacing the seat switch, because wouldn't the motor cut off if that was bad? It runs fine, its just the PTO coming on and off while running. Motor never dies.

Also searched sears parts central and there is no listing for a reverse switch. There is a reverse electrical harness listed for my mower.
This maybe a better parts reference for your mower