Repairs Craftsman Model 917.272761 Tight Steering

shacko

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Craftsman lawn tractor has some age on it but it hasen't been used that much.

Last year it started to be hard to steer, it takes two hands to turn the wheel (previous one hand), my owners manual only shows four zerk fittings which are lubed every year.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong, must be something in the shaft that wore out?

Thanks for any ideas.:confused2:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Check the front tire air pressure...
And then lift the front wheels, and move the the steering gear using the wheels, check for any binding or loose mashed out bushings... :smile:KennyV

fastback

Threads
On many Craftsman tractorsthey like to use nylon bushings in their steering. One of the bushings that tends to be a problem is the upper bushing in the lower end of the steering shaft. This bushing tends to ride up the only thing that holds it in place is a electrical plastic tie. When this bushing moves out of place the play in the steering will also increase, but it increases friction and makes the steering very hard.

I had a simular problem with my 1989 Sears GT, I ended up removing the shaft disassembling the working section and cutting in a slot for a spring e-clip on the lathe. I pre-greased all of the parts and installed grease fittings ( 3 in all) along the shaft.

I don't know if yours is made the same way, if so, check to see of the tie has slipped and reinstall, you may even be able to use a hose clamp. It only acts as a stop. Also do as Kenny has suggested.

shacko

Forum Newbie
Threads
On many Craftsman tractorsthey like to use nylon bushings in their steering. One of the bushings that tends to be a problem is the upper bushing in the lower end of the steering shaft. This bushing tends to ride up the only thing that holds it in place is a electrical plastic tie. When this bushing moves out of place the play in the steering will also increase, but it increases friction and makes the steering very hard.

I had a simular problem with my 1989 Sears GT, I ended up removing the shaft disassembling the working section and cutting in a slot for a spring e-clip on the lathe. I pre-greased all of the parts and installed grease fittings ( 3 in all) along the shaft.

I don't know if yours is made the same way, if so, check to see of the tie has slipped and reinstall, you may even be able to use a hose clamp. It only acts as a stop. Also do as Kenny has suggested.

I have already done what Kenny has said; thats part of what I do with my yearly prep. for the season. I'll give your idea a try, sounds like that may be the prob. I get back to you with the results, thanks :smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can replace the bushings with brass ones

Sent from my iPhone using LMF