Craftsman LT 4500 26HP Briggs Stratton Intek Both Pistons not moving

0NPASSIVE

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman LT 4500 26HP Briggs Stratton Intek Both Pistons not moving
Greetings,

Curious, anyone ever see a Briggs Stratton 26HP Intek just stop with nothing and no noise, no locked engine, just no piston movement, but valves work fine on both heads. One piston at top and the other at bottom. How is it possible for both roda to let go at same time with no lock up of engine or any interference indications. Engine was running great before and now just cranks freely?

Thanks,

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If both pistons are not moving you will have to open the engine up to diagnose the problem.

Skippydiesel

Threads
Same thing happened to my neighbours B&S 23 hp twin (only one piston). In process of acquiring a new engine.

0NPASSIVE

Forum Newbie
Threads
If both pistons are not moving you will have to open the engine up to diagnose the problem.
Thanks, I figured this was obvious, but to pull engine and take apart to see issue and find it is not worth fixing was my question, it just seemed totally strange to have both rods go and no lock up or noises. Was just deciding to part out or repair, so thanks.

0NPASSIVE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Same thing happened to my neighbours B&S 23 hp twin (only one piston). In process of acquiring a new engine.
Thanks, I agree, one rod going is common, but both at same time just seemed to odd to me and I was just curious if anyone ever saw this happen before. I didn't want to remove motor and open up until I had an idea if this was even possible. I bought it with seller just telling me it wouldn't start, turned over, so I thought it was the typical carb clog issue. Didn't want to waste time so will part it out.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is one time I would be taking it apart to find the cause. Never to old to learn something new, because this is so rare and haven’t seen it before.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is one time I would be taking it apart to find the cause. Never to old to learn something new, because this is so rare and haven’t seen it before.
My suspicions are that it failed from lack of lube and when one rod broke it interferred and broke the second rod. Or they both broke from lack of lube and both seized and broke about the same time.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m wondering if one broke, it was running for a while on one cylinder, then the other one broke. I’ve seen more than on engine running on one cylinder and the customer didn’t even notice it.
Very possible.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
An engine autopsy is in order here. Seeing the damage is sometimes worth the effort for a learning experience.