Craftsman Gas Tank

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One thing I wondered about in reading that was how to hold the patch piece while heating it. Can you elaborate on that?
thanks
Tweezers
I do similar with the local 3 litre milk bottles which are HDPE the same plastic that tanks are made from .
First I used to smooth it out to remove air bubbles with a highly polished stainless steel spoon but eventually bought a silicone rubber roller .

One of the best write up I have seen about welding plastics for a long time .

The other trick, is the plastics must be the same .
You check this by looking for the recycle code moulded into the part to be repaired and the part to be used for patching.
They must be the same.

Goos, glues & fillers usually don't work because the ones that don't leak are not flexiable enough and the ones that flex enough leak.

Last edited:

Vinny80

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning, I found the crack in the gas tank (DYT 4000). The seat bracket caused the crack(S) haha. I’ve searched, and only eBay has them at roughly $400 CAD, yikes! I tried melting the plastic over the cracks but they are in an awkward area and wasn’t possible. Any experience with an add on tank where original would go. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Thanks everyone, some great alternatives to purchasing. I went ahead and ordered a plastic welding kit with soldering iron and welding rods. See how it goes, I’ll keep yas posted.