Craftsman Gas Tank

Vinny80

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning, I found the crack in the gas tank (DYT 4000). The seat bracket caused the crack(S) haha. I’ve searched, and only eBay has them at roughly $400 CAD, yikes! I tried melting the plastic over the cracks but they are in an awkward area and wasn’t possible. Any experience with an add on tank where original would go. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the tank out.
They are an easy repair with a lot air gun & milk bottles.
Moth must be VERY CLEAN.
Or seek out a plastic welder , lots of them out there who fix broken plastic car parts & motorcycle fairings

Lawn Addict
Threads
Many years ago when I had a craftsman rider, plastic gas tank cracked. Right at the mid point where the 2 halves were joined.
I took it out, emptied of course. scuffed the heck outta that whole area. And used some JB Weld® Original formula.

I had nothing to lose, as I had a replacement coming. But I never had to use the new tank. that JB Weld did the trick on mine anyhow.
Years later I sold the new tank.. And later sold the rider, I see it still running.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Many years ago when I had a craftsman rider, gas tank cracked. Right at the mid point where the 2 halves were joined.
I took it out, emptied of course. scuffed the heck outta that whole area. And used some JB Weld Original formula.

I had nothing to lose, as I had a replacement coming. But I never had to use the new tank. that JB Weld did the trick on mine anyhow.
Years later I sold the new tank..
i can attest to JB weld on a fuel tank. works great. I can melt them back together and use milk carton plastic, but for my equipment, i use jb weld.
I wonder how the JB weld Steel Stik would work?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
For the white plastic tanks I have use a hot glue gun. Gas doesn't soften the glue.

JohnFrancis

Forum Newbie
Threads
JB Weld also makes a two-part epoxy for plastic, including thermoplastics. It worked great on my Ferris hydraulic oil tank. Sets up in 15 minutes and cures in about 30 minutes. Strong as hell, too.

mrstan

Threads
Good morning, I found the crack in the gas tank (DYT 4000). The seat bracket caused the crack(S) haha. I’ve searched, and only eBay has them at roughly $400 CAD, yikes! I tried melting the plastic over the cracks but they are in an awkward area and wasn’t possible. Any experience with an add on tank where original would go. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
I made an Instructable for a John Deere gas tank that you might benefit from on how to repair with pictures and info on process.. Check it out!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is the part number of the new tank?

Bellcrank

Threads
  • VERSATILE AND DEPENDABLE: J-B Weld MarineWeld is steel reinforced, has a tensile strength of 5020 PSI and can withstand temperatures up to 550 degrees Fahrenheit (287 degrees Celsius). When fully cured, MarineWeld is waterproof and resistant to petroleum, chemical and acid. It retains strength above & below water.

the.doc

Threads
I made an Instructable for a John Deere gas tank that you might benefit from on how to repair with pictures and info on process.. Check it out!

One thing I wondered about in reading that was how to hold the patch piece while heating it. Can you elaborate on that?
thanks