Craftsman 917274822 tractor

rogerru

Threads
Hello I have Craftsman 917274822 tractor 42 riding mower the problem I am having is the Deck Belt, Each replacement belt I get for it, IT IS TOO TIGHT.. I try ordering from the Sears Online, and it sending me to Amazon where I tried there belts, and they are to tight, and when you go to crank the mower up the blades are turning
go to partstree.com, use your craftsman model # and see if you come up with the same belt. when all else fails, use the dimensions you've been given here and do a belt search on the internet or ebay, just longer as you determine.

Need2learn

Threads
Ok that is the one I ordered IT NOT Sears parts it cost 32.00 dollars it is a generic it is made in China and shipped through Amazon, that's who delivered it. The original sear brand is 59.00 like a brownish color, this is totally black and like an inch shorter.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
so the sears site kept sending you to amazon?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is only one to put the belt on if you put the belt Wrong you can’t even get it on the motor pulley.
Now I am confused
917 274822 was made by AYP ( Husqvarna ) so your deck should have 2 spindles and 2 idler pulleys
When mounted it should look like a T so the belt goes from the engine to the idlers then go left or right to the spindle pulleys and directly from spindle to spindle at the back.
The left side pulley should get pulled back when you engage the blades to tighten the belt & release the blade brake.
One or both of he idlers will have a single or double belt keeper to stop the belt coming off when slack
The belt has to go in the V of the pulley with the keeper behind the back of the belt.
Very common for owners to run the belt around the outside of one or more keeper which makes the belt too short & destroys it quickly should you try to mow .

If your deck has only 1 idler pulley then it was made by MTD and that model number is wrong.
On the MTD deck, the entire deck moves down & back to tighten the belt & release the spindle brakes .

Which system do you have ?

Bellcrank

Threads
Like Bertsmobile 1 said. The belt must go between the idler pulley belt guide and the pulley. Also the belt must go between the mandrel pulley and brake pad on both mandrel pulleys. If you remove pulley guards it's easy to see .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-10 L0206177 pdf.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-10 L0206177 pdf.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 11

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks, forgot about those brake pads
Cost me more than one free belt over the years when in a "not thinking hurry " to get a mower out of the shop .

Bellcrank

Threads
Yep, have let some belt smoke out once or twice myself. As soon as I looked at the deck illustration that mandrel cover caught my eye. That brake pad is out of sight out of mind and so easy to loop the belt outside the pad. Think'n it's stumped a few folks over the years just as the belt guides have.

wingnut1955

Threads
tensioner arm gets notch wore in it and part it mates to. grind notches out and put never seize on them . its a common problem video on taryl fixes all shows fix

Bellcrank

Threads
tensioner arm gets notch wore in it and part it mates to. grind notches out and put never seize on them . its a common problem video on taryl fixes all shows fix
Yep , and the brake arm rollers freeze up. That area on the deck collects garbage that acts like mulch and holds moister to rust everything up.