Craftsman 247.288811 air cleaner cover removal - retainers just spin

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Craftsman 247.288811 air cleaner cover removal - retainers just spin
Those ends are already open but got to feel you positioning of the screwdriver or use a mirror and a light bounce off the mirror. I have done it enough times that I can feel when the tip drop into the side of the hex head.

dl324

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you happen to have any photos of what the nut looks like? Am I trying to keep it from spinning while turning the retaining knob counterclockwise to free it from the nut?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The nuts are part of the knob. The other part is a long screw with a small hex head. Just a little bigger than the unthreaded part of the screw. And no I don't an image here as the only camera phone I have just had the battery to swell up blowing the phone apart. The battery is claimed to be non replaceable.

dl324

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally understand what you were describing. There are two holes accessible from the bottom. I stuck a flat screwdriver in the hole closest to the gas tank and I could feel something turning while I turned the knob. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to stop the retainer from spinning.

It looks like I'm going to have to use a hole saw to cut the housing around the knobs. Maybe I'll be able to get the knobs off when I can see what I'm doing.

Cusser

Threads
I have the same type air filter cover on my lawn tractor. I went out and took some photos this morning for you. This should help.
ON27wRH.jpg

UncwcuD.jpg

3Fcc5EA.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sorry but you do not have the same type of air cleaner covers. You have the newer style which if the OP buys a new shroud he get the new style too. The old style uses hex screws and the knobs has embedded nuts. Those that you are bad to snap off and are sold by Briggs in pairs.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is the thought that counts
Down here only JD used the style you showed for long time
Even worse was the cheaper style where the nobs had a hole open to the elements that filled with water ensuring that the nuts rusted onto the bolts unless the bolts were greased every service
FWIW I have never had any luck with the flat screwdriver to lock the bolt in position

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can remove the complete blower housing if you undo the carburettor at the head so it comes off with the housing
A bit tricky getting the governor link off but it can be done
This will then allow you to work on the screws without hanging from the ceiling .
The 2 knobs should be a replacement part if you have to chop them up to get the screws out
But double check their availability before you do this because as you know just the cover is $ 40 and the whole housing is over $ 100 .
I have had to resort to removing the entire blower housing on more than 1 occasion
Not sure of you engine but the bigger ones have a small self tapper that holds the lower housing to the carburettor manifold

dl324

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same type air filter cover on my lawn tractor. I went out and took some photos this morning for you.
Thanks for trying.