couple of Turf Tiger questions

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, mowed earlier and the cut is a little better with a stripe; just not a very visible well defined stripe. I think it will look a little better after a few more cuts. New problem I ran into while mowing however was the mower started to sputter like it was going to die, so I would stop and let it rev back up and it would mow for a minute or two then start cutting out again. Turned the pto off and headed down the street back to my house and it was still doing it, so I'm going to rule out pto related. My first guess is the fuel filter, so gonna look for a new one tomorrow. Hopefully thats all it is.

Also, another question for you guys. Mower was slightly low on hydraulic oil and manual calls for 20w30. All I had was 15w40 so I added just a little bit to top it off. Will tha be alright or do I need to get the right stuff and change it out?

Most but not all Scag ZTRs use 20W-50 engine oil in the hydraulic systems. 15W-40 is OK for a small amount.
Check the operators manual for your specific machine.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Sonders

Threads
Most but not all Scag ZTRs use 20W-50 engine oil in the hydraulic systems. 15W-40 is OK for a small amount.
Check the operators manual for your specific machine.

Mine has the 29 hp kawasaki dfi engine. Thanks for that additional deck leveling info! I was trying to adjust the front by taking off the small cotter pin and pullin the turnbuckle off the hanging bracket and turning it on the adjuster rod. In theory it seemed like it would work but it just threw everything out of whach haha; hence the frustration. How are you supposed to actually turn the adjusting rods? I had to get a pipe wrench out to turn them.

As far as the oil, I read in my manual before adding any and it did call for 20w30. Mine was slightly below the sight hole in the filler neck. Also experienced the oil overflow after finished mowing, so apparently that cap has to be tightened down super tight; I thought I did put it on fairly tight but I guess not tight enough??

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Read you operators manual, I'll bet that it says 20W50 engine oil for the hydraulic system!
I've never heard of 20W30 engine oil!!!!
As for engine sputtering, the basics are fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and a dose of fuel injector cleaner with a DFI engine. There are electronic fuel system components that can cause sputtering, but a Kawasaki servicing dealer is needed to troubleshoot a DFI engine. DFI engines have a high pressure electric fuel pump that also factors into the engine troubleshooting equation. Fuel cap vents are another factor, but on later models with fuel evaporative systems, things do change.
But for deck level adjustments on Scags, turning the long rods raises or lowers the rear of the deck only!!!!
It is OK to use what tool is necessary to turn the long rods to make these adjustments!!!:banana:

Sonders

Threads
Yea my eyes were probably decieving me; I'm sure it was 20w50. I hadn't seen 20w30 before and was thinking to myself at the time "well hell where am I going to find that oil at". Definitely going to have to take another crack at the deck level to get that pitch down in the front like it's supposed to. At the moment I sure am missing my old Gravely that steiped my yard beautifully and had no issues that I sold to get this mower (can't let the wife know that though).

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
One day in Aug of 2008 I left the house with 10,000 in my pocket and a comment from my bride that " you already have two red tractors so don't come home with another red one", so I came home with an orange one!!!! It wasn't red so I thought I was good to go!!! Wrong as usual!!!
My instructions to anyone looking at a used machine is to strongly request of the perspective seller to show me how the machine operates! Having been a marine mech on and off over the years I tell folks to have the boat owner launch the boat and make it do it's thing or the offered price drops to one half!!!!
Anyway, you gotta understand that Scag decks only adjust from the rear by turning the long rods!!!! The rear has to be adjusted up or down to match the front, no other options!!!!
I have replaced decks on several Simplicity machines for customers and they are the nastiest when it comes to leveling!!!! So Scags are relatively simple in comparison!!!!:thumbsup:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
A quote from an old mech that I new in the 50s. " I don't know everything, but those that do ask me for advise!":laughing:

Sonders

Threads
A quote from an old mech that I new in the 50s. " I don't know everything, but those that do ask me for advise!":laughing:

Oh I definitely don't know everything. If I can ask somebody that is more knowledgable then I am for sure going to do so to save from tearing something up that could have been avoided.

Sonders

Threads
MadMackie, after reading back through your instructions on deck leveling, I think my main problem is the fact that I have been measuring the edges of the deck itself and not measuring the blades in a forward and aft position. That's probably throwing me off.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Sonders,
Check out the pics. The yellow plastic tool is a John Deere item, but when packaged in a blister pack it gets bent. I took my adjustable temp heat gun and straightened it!!! This JD tool is OK, but you need to see the actual numbers before you remove it from under the deck as it will change by the time you get it out from under the deck. The black mark on the pointer is a mark that I made so I can see it!:thumbdown:
The other tool is what I use about 95% of the time. It is a long nut used to connect threaded rod with a short bolt and jam nut on the top and the bottom bolt is an adjustable foot from a washing machine that I removed the plastic piece from. This adjusts from a closed dimension of 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" approx. With this tool I level the deck by measuring the blade height and then adjust to get a 1/8" lower dimension on the forward facing blade if desired.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• P9040001.JPG
    P9040001.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 7
  • P9040002.JPG
    P9040002.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 9
  • P9040003.JPG
    P9040003.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 7
  • P9040004.JPG
    P9040004.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 6
  • P9040005.JPG
    P9040005.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 8

Sonders

Threads
Great idea with the measuring tools. Finally got the deck leveled. However it is pretty much right at the up travel stops, but I don't want to mess with it anymore. Got a new fuel filter this evening so need to get it put on tomorrow. The parts manual doesn't have fuel filter listed and I don't have a Scag dealer close by so went to Napa and got one with same size ends; it's a Fram G12. Hopefully it will work alright.