Check out battery connecter kit.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do have a question about battery cable. Which is better, a lot of very thin wires together,
1716004710265.png

or fewer thick wires.

1716004726184.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thin if it has to flex
Thick if it does not move
Look at the cables on an electric welder
Just about hair wire thickness
Now downside of thin wire is the ends must be sealed well .
I use liquid electrical tape
The reason for this is capillary action will cause multistrand wire to suck up a massive amount of water which will cause the wire to corrode inside the sheath.
Thick wire does not have as much very close surfaces so capillary action is far less .

THis is what the 200 Amp wires into my shed have only 3 strands because they cop a lot of water .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I'm just not impressed with the crimpers. Using the connectors that came with it, the first two didn't crimp worth a hoot. Even using the smallest crimp size I ended up using my hammer.
I think I'll try putting a nail between the connector and the crimper next time. (using that size)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally I just stick with the hydraulic crimper I have. I can apply enough pressure to actually fuse the strands if I wanted to but I don't.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Personally I just stick with the hydraulic crimper I have. I can apply enough pressure to actually fuse the strands if I wanted to but I don't.
It's better to flatten out the connector (using what ever), than to leave it crimped but still in a round shape, right?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually the cable lug should indented instead flatting as you want to tighten it up and flatting just spread it out.

Here is the HFT crimper I use. I do however use a size larger die than AWG I am crimping as the same die as AWG produces wings on the cable lugs I use here but they are heavy tin plated lugs.
1716119806979.png
1716120260899.png
1716120211793.png
I use some anti-oxidizer as I assemble the cable. Then some heat shrink over the connection helps seal out moisture.

Also note that cable lugs will accept an AWG size larger and still work. Actually crimps better. This because that either the cable is not a true AWG size or the lug are slightly oversized.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually the cable lug should indented instead flatting as you want to tighten it up and flatting just spread it out.

Here is the HFT crimper I use. I do however use a size larger die than AWG I am crimping as the same die as AWG produces wings on the cable lugs I use here but they are heavy tin plated lugs.
View attachment 68690
View attachment 68692
View attachment 68691
I use some anti-oxidizer as I assemble the cable. Then some heat shrink over the connection helps seal out moisture.

Also note that cable lugs will accept an AWG size larger and still work. Actually crimps better. This because that either the cable is not a true AWG size or the lug are slightly oversized.

The shape of the part that actually crimps (on yours) is the same shape as mine. Maybe it's just the picture and my eyes, but I don't see any indented place on the "properly crimped" connector.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Look closer the whole hex is indented or six flat indents

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, I'm just not impressed with the crimpers. Using the connectors that came with it, the first two didn't crimp worth a hoot. Even using the smallest crimp size I ended up using my hammer.
I think I'll try putting a nail between the connector and the crimper next time. (using that size)
Got a pic of the wire and an uncrimped terminal?