Changing pull start to electric start question about charging battery

rkf_bomb

Threads
  • / Changing pull start to electric start question about charging battery
I wouldn't exactly say I'm 'worried' about it. Just wondering if I could make it better. You yourself stated that it will run the battery down as the mower is not running long enough to charge the battery. I'm all for learning new things and trying to make things easier (and cheaper)for myself. I'm assuming I probably can't do it cheap though as the wires put out two different voltages.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can fit a later model stator & voltage regulator with full wave rectifing.
You can not fit one to the existing stator easily

rkf_bomb

Threads
Thanks for your help everyone. I have one more question. I had to buy a new ignition switch as original was only a 2 position, 2 terminal switch. I bought a universal 3 position, 5 terminal switch at the local box store. It looks like briggs went from a 5 terminal to a 6 terminal switch at some point. As far as I can tell all the 6th terminal is for is the charging system wire only. Instead of connecting the alternator to the battery side on the starter relay they now run the wire to the switch. Is there a reason or advantage for this? I plan to just run the charging wire to the battery cable connected to the starter relay. I could get the briggs 6 terminal switch but it's twice the cost of the universal one I bought.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of the time the charge wire to the key switch is due to the product having a charge gauge or battery light. Nothing about the Briggs but Kohler recommends removing the wire to the key switch and connecting to the battery side of solenoid because of charging issues.

rkf_bomb

Threads
Alright then looks like I'm good to go. Thanks again for your help!

Ron

SlopeMan2

Threads
Hi rkf-bomb. I have an old, old snapper that came with pull start. We put an electric start Briggs on it 30 years ago. I use a regular lawn battery on it, and just put the clips on it, using the cheap Harbor Freight float charger on the battery when I am done for the day. It keeps the battery around 13v, and it is ready to go next week. Since the motor has it's own mag, and furnishes electric current for the spark plug, the battery has no drain while mowing. Since the Briggs starts easy, it would start for a month or so, even without charging. Good luck. This works for me.

rkf_bomb

Threads
Yeah I thought about that. I needed a good project though! I'll have under $100 in it and it gives me something to do. I like tinkering around in the garage. It's where I find my peace!

rkf_bomb

Threads
Hey all just wanted to say thanks again for all your help! Mower is running great! Started up first time! I still have to connect the stator charging wire to battery side of solenoid. I have all the wiring there, and the diode is crimped on and all set. I ran out of ring terminals so I just need to pick one up.

Anyway I know a lot of people get help on these forums and then disappear without letting everyone know how things turned out. Well everything turned out great, so THANK YOU!

On a side note I have extra diodes left over if anyone needs one, lol. They were $.16 each so I bought ten. Cost $8 to have them shipped. I couldn't find an electronics store around me that carried them. I don't want any money. I'll probably hold on to a few and get rid of the rest. Let me know!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
ILENGINE is correct. That tiny 3 amp charge feed is insufficient. Battery also has internal resistance. It will slowly discharge over time. 3 amps will hardly run the front two lights on a garden tractor.

slomo

rkf_bomb

Threads
It doesn't run any lights. For charging battery only. I guess I'll see over time how well it works or doesn't work!