Changing pull start to electric start question about charging battery

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Changing pull start to electric start question about charging battery
It doesn't run any lights. For charging battery only. I guess I'll see over time how well it works or doesn't work!
I suspect with normal starting and not long start times the battery should keep sufficient charge to start the engine for the entire mowing season, and may even be fine for part of next year without having to put it on the charger. it is kind of like starting the mower and then that little charging system recharges to 99%, next run it recharges to 98% and so on until it runs the battery down to the point it won't start the engine. Which may be the reason for short life expectancies on some mower batteries.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And to add to what the others have said.
The pulsed DC uncliped so your battery gets everything from .001V up to 13 volts then down to nothing miss 1/2 a cycle then repeat is just about the most destructive way to recharge a battery.
Then there is just how much energy is consumed during start up.
Badly adjusted valve lashes will cause the starter to draw a lot more energy that correctly gapped ones .
Then add a dirty carb that takes a minute or more of cranking before the engine fires and you are looking at a new battery every season.

rkf_bomb

Threads
Hmmm. Maybe I'll just leave the charging system disconnected. The motor starts instantly so can't be much of a draw. Probably measure the time it takes to start in milliseconds! Thinking I'll just keep the battery tender next to mower and plug it in every week or so. It is so nice having electric start!