(Censored) Jury Duty

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tomorrow my wife has to report for jury duty in a mid-Michigan district court, which will require her to spend an hour and a half driving 70 miles one-way to get to the courthouse. She will not know until later in the day how long she has to serve or what hours she is supposed to attend court, and while those who administer the courts tell the citizens:

"It's your civic duty to serve when called to be a juror". Yeah, right. THe city where the district court is located is LARGER than the city we live near, so what is the purpose of summoning prospective jurors who live an hour and a half away? Are the courts that hard up to find prospective jurors?

Anyone want to describe your experiences, good or bad, OOPS, stupid of me to say "good".. serving as a juror?

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
I would hate to have to serve Jury Duty. I have really bad anxiety and if I don't think I could handle doing something like that; being away from everyone I know would be the hardest part.

indypower

Threads
THe city where the district court is located is LARGER than the city we live near, so what is the purpose of summoning prospective jurors who live an hour and a half away? Are the courts that hard up to find prospective jurors?

Sometimes the case has gotten so much publicity in that city, they have to look else where to get impartial jurors who haven't been hit the face every day with media coverage of the case.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
THe city where the district court is located is LARGER than the city we live near, so what is the purpose of summoning prospective jurors who live an hour and a half away? Are the courts that hard up to find prospective jurors?

Sometimes the case has gotten so much publicity in that city, they have to look else where to get impartial jurors who haven't been hit the face every day with media coverage of the case.

Good point, but considering the amount of news I read, the cop/court TV shows I view, the huge number of crime books I read, they would have one heckuva time getting me as an impartial juror...ANYPLACE.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm going to bet her opinion will greatly improve after her first day as a perspective juror...
I can recall my first time and what I thought, man this is inconvenient (for me)...
I have been on various jury duties... You quickly realize just how critically important that part of the legal system is...
You will definitely leave a much humbler and more thoughtful person after the experience...
And yes it is required that you make yourself available... Look at the countries that don't have this 'requirement' I know they would want something like this...
If she is lucky enough to be selected to serve... she will definitely enjoy it and will gain a lot from the experience...
It is VERY easy to be excused and there are a LOT of reasons to be excused... they will be explained on her first day of selection.
:smile:KennyV

173abn

Threads
my county seat is about 30m from me ,I was selected once for jury duty and was voted foreman.I thought it was pretty interesting and would't mind serving again as long as it wasn't no corporate follow the money trail kinda thing.a murder yes or bank heist. russ

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
The big picture to keep in mind is that historically, trial by a jury of citizens is an important check on the power of a state to imprison or fine an individual.:thumbsup: It's a concept that was around for centuries when the founders included it in the sixth amendment to the US Constitution.

How it applies in specific cases is another matter. Making somebody drive an hour and a half each way seems excessive.

In my case I never get picked because defense lawyers use their "strikes" to eliminate anybody who works in an analytical profession -- they want jurors who can be manipulated emotionally. So every time I get a summons it's annoying because I know I'll just go to the courthouse, sit around for hours, then go home.:mad:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm going to bet her opinion will greatly improve after her first day as a perspective juror...
I can recall my first time and what I thought, man this is inconvenient (for me)...
I have been on various jury duties... You quickly realize just how critically important that part of the legal system is...
You will definitely leave a much humbler and more thoughtful person after the experience...
And yes it is required that you make yourself available... Look at the countries that don't have this 'requirement' I know they would want something like this...
If she is lucky enough to be selected to serve... she will definitely enjoy it and will gain a lot from the experience...
It is VERY easy to be excused and there are a LOT of reasons to be excused... they will be explained on her first day of selection.
:smile:KennyV
My first and only expeerience with jury duty was quite positive. I was selected and I was on a jury. I'll spare yopu the details but, we took a bad guy off the streets and it may have gone the other way had I not been on that jury (22 minute deliberation). It's been 6 years since and they have not contacted me again.
If nothing else you get to see a good crossection of america before getting called. That in itself is very enlightening.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
They can only strike so many and they eventually have to settle for what they precipice is their best shot...
So all in all... it works... And almost any case is interesting once you get into it...
Some attorneys are better than others and some presentations are better than others. Al in all the process can be very interesting for those that get the chance to participate...:smile:KennyV