Carburetor linkage

srwa

Threads
Have a Troy Built 2007 Red Horse 50in. lawnmower with a 23 hp BR & S. engine. Kinda/sorta "inherited" it.
Problem; Wants to start and run wide open. Have moved the linkage every way known to man & beast, still wants to run wide open.

Need a linkage routing diagram.

rideon 1946

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like it is the govanor needs to be set but it can be very tricky need someone to do it that knows what they are doing.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Need model, type and code no.s of the engine.

srwa

Threads
Have the service manual which shows how to set the governor. Also, have watched many YTUBE.

Problem is none shows/tells where the throttle is to be set or even hooked up.

srwa

Threads
Briggs 23hp. VTwin; Mod.445577;type 0499-E1;code;061109YG.

TroyBilt 14AA80TP766 Big Red Horse (2007)--50 inch

shadetree#1

Threads
I had the same problem with a Briggs twin recently.

I would make the static governor adjust per the manual and still wide open throttle.
The governor arm nut when snug would still allow the governor arm linkage to slip on the governor shaft coming out of the engine
Try taking a 1/4 inch drive RATCHET and snug up the nut after making the static governor adjust.

If that does not correct the issue, try holding the CARB throttle plate linkage at idle (instead of wide open) and then make the static gov adjust. If it still goes to full open throttle the governor may be bad or something amiss behind the throttle plate area. (Governor spring broken or disconnected behind the throttle linkage., etc)

When you start the engine you should FEEL by hand the governor arm try to pull the throttle towards closed DIRECTION. If you do not feel by hand the governor arm try to pull towards a closed throttle direction the governor itself is not operating or the arm is not tight on the shaft coming out of the engine.

srwa

Threads
Right now have the engine disassembled to the point that I'M trying to pull the crankshaft but one rod cap bolt is frozen and I have "rounded" the head very "nicely". So, I'm headed to Lowes for some special sockets.Am tearing it down initially to replace the governor shaft, bushings, seals,etc., But if I don't replace the crankshaft seals it's gonna leak.

Am going to "Dynamic Governor Adjustment" instead of the Static adjustment
but gonna need a tiny tach which I don't have.

Out of the manual';

Static Governor Adjustment
1. With governor lever nut loose, rotate governor control
swivel counter-clockwise as far as it will go (wide open
throttle) and hold in this position.
2. Rotate governor shaft clockwise as far it will go, Fig. 20.
a. Torque governor nut to 130 in. lbs. (15.0 Nm).
Fig. 20 − Adjust Governor
GOVERNOR
SHAFT
CONTROL
SWIVEL
Dynamic Governor Adjustment
ALL ADJUSTMENTS MUST BE MADE WITH AIR CLEANER
ASSEMBLY INSTALLED.
Assemble remote controls and check for proper adjustment.
The following tools are required when making governor
adjustments, Fig. 21:
1. Tachometer, Tool #19200 or #19389.
2. Tang bender, Tool #19480.
Start and run engine for approximately 5 minutes to allow
engine to warm up.
Fig

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just note crankshaft seals were replaceable without removing the crankshaft.

Also any inductive tachometer will work as long it is set to one spark per rev. Here I have used Tiny Tach II and now I using a Husqvarna/Echo tachometer. I like the Husqvarna tach as goes to sleep when not in use.

Dynamic adjustment is for fine tuning the govern speeds. Currently you are describing either a static adjust failure or governor failure but these is one least likely failure and that is the throttle vane(s) have came loose or missing completely.

As said you needed to operate the throttle vane assembly on the carburetor to see if it would had controlled the engine's speed before tearing down the engine. Once the static governor adjustment was done and the engine still raced and if you were able to control the speed by manual operating the throttle assembly then it was likely a governor failure. But now all this is out the window as you got get the engine back together before starting all over again.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Problem; Wants to start and run wide open.
Not seeing the issue.

Briggs states to run at max revs all the time. Max lubrication, max cooling and max durability. These are not idle down car engines.