Carburetor linkage

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Not seeing the issue.

Briggs states to run at max revs all the time. Max lubrication, max cooling and max durability. These are not idle down car engines.
The problem is if it exceeding the designed RPMs which can not be done by ear; although, there is a smart phone app for doing this via its onboard computer via the microphone. I don't how well this app works as I don't have a smart phone here.

srwa

Threads
"Just note crankshaft seals were replaceable without removing the crankshaft."

With a hammer and a cold chizel?

shadetree#1

Threads
I would suggest you put the engine back together as is with a new sump gasket and PTO crank seal, look at the governor flyweights while you have the sump off and it will be readily apparent if they are not ok and if ok re-assemble the engine and do as StarTech says.
You do not need the tach for dynamic gov adjustments and those tools YET or maybe never. You normally make STATIC governor adjustments FIRST, then fine tune for dynamic gov adjust.
Also the upper crank seal is not likely to leak. The seals are also easily replaced with common tools and common sense without taking the engine apart.

Last edited:

srwa

Threads
Well, removed the flywheel crankshaft seal without removing the crankshaft. With a cold chisel and hammer without any damage. One of the rod cap bolt is damaged to the point that its going to take a special socket, which I don't have, to remove.

Am waiting on gov. parts, shaft, seal, bushings before the engine goes back together. Gov. gear and other related parts look good.

Now, I have been taking apart engines, small & large, probably before U were born. And if I don't have even a "modicum" of common sense at my age...well, I can forget it. I saw the first light of day in MARCH 1937...do the math.

shadetree#1

Threads
srwa:

I apologize for that.

Keep a heads up when replacing seals now days, especially to lower sump crank seal. Several of the seals do not have the spring inside to hold the seals lips tight to the crank and will start leaking oil in short period of use.

These seals are being sold as Briggs but I suspect they are china clone seals.
I've removed the spring from the OEM seals if it's not damaged after being removed and installed it into the ones without the spring with good results.
AND yes some of them Briggs engines rod cap bolts are really tight and they also used locktite on some and the heads will round off even when using a good 6 point tight fitting wrench Sadness when that happens.

srwa

Threads
No offense taken.

Bought most parts from; https://www.briggsstrattonstore.com/ which, come to find out, is not affiliated or part of Briggs & Straton. You're probably right about China made. Will check.

This is my first experience with a "small" engine where the throttle is connected to the govenor control. It has been an "education". Am still learning, why I'm on this forum.

Firmly believe the throttle should be connected to the carb. where it belongs.