Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

Dickman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
So I bought the needle bearings, seals, and drill bit. The drill bit ($15) got really dull near the end of the second hole, but it made it. Maybe more $$ on the drill bit would be a better call. I used the bench vice and a steady hand, and it worked fine. Epoxied everything up last night, and reassembled it this morning.

The mower pulled backwards very easy. I started the mower and did a 5 minute test lawn cut. It pulled back very easy. Surprisingly, it nearly leaped out of my hands when I engaged the drive! I am very happy so far. The true test will be to see if it lasts beyond one mowing season. This is my 5th year with this mower, and I have had to tear the rear drive down at the end of every mowing season, clean and re-lube it.

Thanks, Briantii. Great fix, and great instructions.

civic

Threads
I have tried many things like most of you have done. Clean the bushing lube with a good quality lithium or synthetic grease. All works good for a while. What I did is add a piece of felt to the wheel cover to prevent dirt from entry. See the red insert this is where I added the felt. I bought a flat self stick felt piece about an 1/8 thick at any home improvement store, cut to size. So far I have 10 hours on this and it is working great. A cheap easy fix.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    431.2 KB · Views: 42

Briantii

Threads
So I bought the needle bearings, seals, and drill bit. The drill bit ($15) got really dull near the end of the second hole, but it made it. Maybe more $$ on the drill bit would be a better call. I used the bench vice and a steady hand, and it worked fine. Epoxied everything up last night, and reassembled it this morning.

The mower pulled backwards very easy. I started the mower and did a 5 minute test lawn cut. It pulled back very easy. Surprisingly, it nearly leaped out of my hands when I engaged the drive! I am very happy so far. The true test will be to see if it lasts beyond one mowing season. This is my 5th year with this mower, and I have had to tear the rear drive down at the end of every mowing season, clean and re-lube it.

Thanks, Briantii. Great fix, and great instructions.

Awesome! Glad it’s working for you just like it is for me. Haven’t touched mine since October and it still “leaps” compared to stock.

Briantii

Threads
I have tried many things like most of you have done. Clean the bushing lube with a good quality lithium or synthetic grease. All works good for a while. What I did is add a piece of felt to the wheel cover to prevent dirt from entry. See the red insert this is where I added the felt. I bought a flat self stick felt piece about an 1/8 thick at any home improvement store, cut to size. So far I have 10 hours on this and it is working great. A cheap easy fix.

Great idea! I do wonder how much dust gets by between the wheel and dust cover too. Id be tempted to try it there too. I will say, I kinda feel like the bearings are an upgrade as the mower feels 10lbs lighter. Your idea is great though and worth trying first for sure.

civic

Threads
Briantii,
Do you have a fish scale to measure how many pounds of force it takes to pull your mower backwards on concrete? My initial start is 8 pounds and once it is moving it is 5-6 pounds. Be interested to know.

Briantii

Threads
Briantii,
Do you have a fish scale to measure how many pounds of force it takes to pull your mower backwards on concrete? My initial start is 8 pounds and once it is moving it is 5-6 pounds. Be interested to know.

Unfortunately I don’t have one. It’s pretty light though. Only slightly more drag than when pushing forward. It’ll actually roll down hills backwards on grass. I’ve cleaned and replaced the bushings enough times, I do feel it’s a bit less drag than the bushings when perfect. Sorry, not a fisherman and can’t justify buying one to measure the lawn mower. The wife already looks at me like “Why haven’t you just bought a new mower yet?” any time I start walking at it with a wrench. :) She knows the bushing issue has driven me insane. One other thing - I run ATF in the trans instead of the stock oil. I chipped a gear on my original trans and figured a real gear oil couldn’t hurt. Never had a trans issue with atf.

civic

Threads
I wonder if one can convert the rear axle assembly from a hrr to a hrn.

Briantii

Threads
I wonder if one can convert the rear axle assembly from a hrr to a hrn.

Im not sure, but I suspect not easily. The hrn uses a single height adjustment per axle which seems to significantly change the mounting style of the wheels and drive axle.

https://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment#/browse/lm/hrn/hrn216/HRN216-VYA

It seems like the big difference is moving the axle support from a bushing in the adjuster assembly and into a “ratchet holder” that looks like it might attach into the wheel cover. It also kinda looks like a bearing in the parts diagram. :) I’d really have to dig into one in person to see, but I think it’s safe to say there are some pretty big differences in how they attach. For now I’m good to go with the bearing conversion. If it keeps working like this I’ll have no reason to mess with it.

I would be curious to see if people can have good long term results with either your felt trick and / or with adding another dust seal to the wheel side of the adjuster and keeping the bushing. Both of those are for sure easier than drilling the adjuster for bearings.

Briantii

Threads
Briantii,

I remembered tonight that I had a scale for weighing bags for aviation. Very similar to a fish scale but mine is digital and was a bit harder to read for something like this, but on flat concrete my breakaway is right around 7 - 8lbs as well. It was harder to tell the once moving number but seemed similar to yours. I haven’t touched mine since October and probably have 15-20 hours on it at this point.

civic

Threads
What part of the country do you live in. I live in Houston and not sure atf is a good choice. Also, I bought 2 bearings instead of 4. They are the same size except 7/8 in. long. JTT814 bearing. I also have a machine shop where I work and the are going to drill out the adjusters for me. I really like your idea. I also found my notes right after I lube the bushings and the initial pull is still 8 lbs and 6 lbs once rolling so I think the felt is working. I will be very interested if the needle bearing changes the resistance and will report back. When I was at the lawn mower shop I saw the new Honda's and they pull back as easy as the move forward. Would hate to buy one now since they will be other issues with this machine. I will let all the newbies test drive them first. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with my mower except the rear wheel issue and I have maintain this mower extremely well. It has also been through 2 floods.