Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

RetireeRon

Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
Thats surprising to hear since the hrx (at least the newer ones) look to actually have dust seals on both sides of the bushing. It SHOULD be better than my HRR. Once you fix this issue though they are pretty decent mowers. Also all brands will have <something > but I agree this one is unbelievably stupid and difficult to forgive.

Good news is mine is still doing great, but Id recommend the ball bearing setup that Civic is running as I believe it’s a better solution.
My mower was built in 2016 and I bought it in January 2017. It’s headed back to the dealer for the fifth time already. I paid well over $700.00 for this mower and at my age was sure this would be my last mower purchase. As aggravating as it is, I’ll keep it until February 2022 when the warranty expires and most likely get a Toro.

Briantii

Threads
Well, we made it!!! It’s officially over a year on my needle bearings and it’s still working great! Truly an HRR216 record :)

I haven’t decided if I’m going to open it up and do fresh grease or run it to failure, but the good news is we’re here and it works! Use Civics ball bearing plan if you want to convert though.

Trig

Threads
Needle bearings are not designed for side loads (movement along the shaft axis). Ball bearings are better for that. With the low weight of a mower it's likely OK for needle or ball. However, the bronze bushings are probably best of all. Normally they are sintered (made from powder) so that means there is a lot of space in the bushing to absorb lubricant. Some even have felt washers on the ends to act like oil reservoirs to supply the bushing. Seals that prevent water or contamination entering adds further reliability. I have an HRN216, hoping it continues to glide ...

gotomow

Threads
Needle bearings are not designed for side loads (movement along the shaft axis). Ball bearings are better for that. With the low weight of a mower it's likely OK for needle or ball. However, the bronze bushings are probably best of all. Normally they are sintered (made from powder) so that means there is a lot of space in the bushing to absorb lubricant. Some even have felt washers on the ends to act like oil reservoirs to supply the bushing. Seals that prevent water or contamination entering adds further reliability. I have an HRN216, hoping it continues to glide ...
The HRN series incorporates a new needed feature that Honda carelessly omitted from its HRR HRX mowers.
From Honda's web site about the new HRN:
"Improved Maneuverability
2-Way Ratchet System improves maneuverability and reduces effort to turn in a tight radius, drastically reducing pull-back force"
I wish Honda would have done that with my HRX.

Last edited:

Trig

Threads
The HRN series incorporates a new needed feature that Honda carelessly omitted from its HRR HRX mowers.
From Honda's web site about the new HRN:
"Improved Maneuverability
2-Way Ratchet System improves maneuverability and reduces effort to turn in a tight radius, drastically reducing pull-back force"
I wish Honda would have done that with my HRX.

My HRN rolls very easy, either forward or back. A slight push on a smooth level surface and it rolls about 15 feet.

gotomow

Threads
My HRN rolls very easy, either forward or back. A slight push on a smooth level surface and it rolls about 15 feet.
That's nice to know. No Honda dealer around here. Lowes and Home depot have them way up high on their pallet rack shelves. Even then I wanted spin stop or roto stop its something they didn't have.

Trig

Threads
That's nice to know. No Honda dealer around here. Lowes and Home depot have them way up high on their pallet rack shelves. Even then I wanted spin stop or roto stop its something they didn't have.

I was lucky.. Lowes had the one I wanted HRN216VYA. Nobody else including Home D, Honda Power Dealers or Lawn & Garden had them.

civic

Threads
Just a friendly update, still mowing weekly, now just once a week and the sealed bearings are still working like a charm. Here in Houston I mow year round. Yes it does slow down during the winter months but my mower sees yard at least 2 times a month (February). Will continue to update.

Westman

Threads
My mower is operating flawless as well. My mowing season here in NW Arkansas is over as my grass goes dormant for the winter. The key, in my opinion is keeping debris out of the bearings. The epoxy glued dust seals accomplish that. Even the Honda supplied plastic bushings would fare better staying clean.

Pixburd

Threads
Thanks to all for this thread. Years ago I came here and Robert the Honda guy advised me just to clean and lube that plastic bushing. Worked for only a short while. I noticed he has since vanished from sight. I am now tuning (3) HRR216VKA's (my 10yo, and 3yo, and the neighbor widow's) so I returned to find out how widespread this issue is. My neighbor had completely worn out her rear tires this year. I basically solved the problem by always cutting my grass is circles, and not backing up much.

Hopefully this thread comes back to life when the weather warms up. Love to hear how all the solutions endure, and make some necessary modifications.

Last edited: