Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

Pixburd

Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
Honda announced they are discontinuing lawn mowers next September.
Wow! I guess the recent CA ruling decided everything for them. There's so much fake engineering driving this hysteria. Just this morning I saw some videos about EV's. Truth be told the manufacture of Electric Vehicles emits far more CO2 before being manufactured than they will ever recoup during operation. Same with the batteries in lawnmowers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wow! I guess the recent CA ruling decided everything for them. There's so much fake engineering driving this hysteria. Just this morning I saw some videos about EV's. Truth be told the manufacture of Electric Vehicles emits far more CO2 before being manufactured than they will ever recoup during operation. Same with the batteries in lawnmowers.
Quite right but the solutions are not pallatable to the richest 5% of the population
1) reduce population numbers
2) reduce consumption of low life consumer products
3) repair rather than replace
4) modify our lifestyle
5) end world poverty
6) Pay a fair price for all the things we consume

civic

Threads
Mine is doing fair. I was thinking of buying a new one. HD had a clearance on the HRX217VYA but when I looked at it they have the same set up and I'm not going down that rabbit hole again. The HRN rolls back very easy. I was also thinking about an EGO mower but I think the Honda is better from my research.
I did have an issue with the wheels looking up and what I did that I didn't have to take everything apart was I turned the mower on its side, carefully removed the grease seal, bought a grease gun needle, injected grease in the bushing then added a few drops of oil to help penetrate the grease. This worked great so far but I only have a few mows. It was fast and easy. I might buy a HRN just because Honda will quit making mowers at the end of this year. I'm torn between Honda and EGO. Looks like battery mowers are the thing, just don't think they are there yet. Maybe in a few more years. Anyway, I really like my Honda.

Westman

Threads
Back in 2016 I purchased a 20" EGO push mower. Good mower, does what it's supposed to do, cut grass without much issues. I still have the original 4 amp hr battery. I severed my Achilles tendon back in 2019, so I needed a mower that was self propelled. I found my current Honda mower on Craigslist for a $100, so I went through it and replaced plugs, filters, sharpened blade etc. About six months after I got it, the dreaded "pull back" issue appeared and I got involved with this thread. My achilles is since healed, but I really like the Honda and use it exclusively. If I wanted an electric, I wouldn't hesitate to go with a self propelled EGO mower. I have a weed eater, hedge trimmer, and chain saw (16") all EGO products. They have held up well over the years and only had to replace 1 battery since 2016. I like the Honda though, especially since the "pulling backwards" issue was solved because of this thread. I'll run the thing until it stops and then look for another Honda.

civic

Threads
Funny how everyone likes their Honda even with the issues. I read more reviews on the EGO and ones I read with someone coming from a Honda says the same. Honda is a better mower, cuts better, better quality, etc. I wish the HRX217VYA had a better set up on the rear. I will get a HRN when the time comes. I'm hoping someone will put these on clearance, I just need to be patient.

civic

Threads
BTW, Lowes and HD quit selling Honda mowers. At least in my area.

Briantii

Threads
BTW, Lowes and HD quit selling Honda mowers. At least in my area.
There is a national stop sale on all Honda HRN and HRX mowers. Apparently Honda got a bad batch of cam shafts that was causing the decompression not to work after a few uses making starting them difficult to impossible. Supposedly they will be back soon. It was a supplier issuer.

Also as an update - still loving my HRX217HYA. Still rolls backwards perfectly easy after a year. Never got a year out of the HRR. The extra seal built in to the design really makes a difference.

civic

Threads
There is a national stop sale on all Honda HRN and HRX mowers. Apparently Honda got a bad batch of cam shafts that was causing the decompression not to work after a few uses making starting them difficult to impossible. Supposedly they will be back soon. It was a supplier issuer.

Also as an update - still loving my HRX217HYA. Still rolls backwards perfectly easy after a year. Never got a year out of the HRR. The extra seal built in to the design really makes a difference.
Thanks for the update and glad your mower is working well. I doubled sealed mine and seems to help but still have issues from time to time. Just the nature of the beast.