Can't find spindle for 72"

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Preload is the resistance to turning once the assembly is tighten and is usually measures in either in-lbs or ft-lbs depending the manufacture's designed specs. Usually you got to initial more to fully seat the cups, loosen, and retighten to the preload spec.

An example is one of the Polaris ATVs I repair where the front axle is initially torque to 400 in-lbs to fully seat the cone cups, then the nut is back off 3/4 of a turn, and finally re-torqued to a rolling torque (preload) of 150 in-lbs.

I don't currently have the preload spec but an email is in for it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
What star said. Been a while since i did a scag spindle but i think the spec was 150 in lbs. About 30 or 40 ft lbs to seat everthing then back off then tighten a 1 1/2" nut to 150 in lbs which is not much. Some folks adjust tapered roller bearings to no play some with a few thousandths play and some no play with preload. Best to consult the manual if you can find it.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Preload is the resistance to turning once the assembly is tighten and is usually measures in either in-lbs or ft-lbs depending the manufacture's designed specs. Usually you got to initial more to fully seat the cups, loosen, and retighten to the preload spec.

An example is one of the Polaris ATVs I repair where the front axle is initially torque to 400 in-lbs to fully seat the cone cups, then the nut is back off 3/4 of a turn, and finally re-torqued to a rolling torque (preload) of 150 in-lbs.

I don't currently have the preload spec but an email is in for it.

That sounds about like what I did. Since I over tightened it the first time. Then back it off til it felt about like the others. Except there was no up & down play.

The customer didn't come pick it up today, so I'll check the torque on it in the AM. I'm about to leave the shop now. Already cleaned up.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There should be no axial play to us the slightest perception of axial play in a tapered roller to allow for thermal expansion
So run it till it gets nice& hot then see if the spindle is tight. If not, job done if yes then back off one flat then run it again for a while and check for freeness .
Much the same as doing wheel bearings on your car / truck .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I went back and look at the assembly ipl again. Really you should not be able to over tighten the tapers; unless, you really over did it or didn't have the cups fully seated . There is an inner spacer to set the preload and there is even an outer spacer but of course these can be damage by over tightening things. With automobiles and ATVs that I have done there is no inner spacer allowing the mechanic to re-adjust the preload when the bearings and cups are slightly worn but in good condition.