Cannot find oil drain plug

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is why you need to go with pneumatic HF oil extractor. It has a 5 gallon metal tank. I do recommend using a screen filter on the pickup if emptying drain pans.

I almost got one from Harbor Freight a few years ago. I should have. But went with the plastic one. Bad mistake.

1fixitman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Most mower have a square plug on the bottom of the mower that can be removed with a 12 point socket but it is a lot less time to just open dipstick and turn on side.because no tools required. It is just smart. It helps if the fuel tank is empty but easy oil change.

13brian

Threads
OUCH!!!!

LiquiVac Oil Extraction Pump Changing System for Small Engine, Lawn Mower​

Not too bad, but seems rather spendy for only 3qt capacity, would only be useful for small engine. For only a little more $ works for more items like passenger vehicles, etc.

13brian

Threads
I would still prefer a plug, a magnetic one.
I agree 100%, I only own my Mightyvac extractor due to a transmission fluid change (European vehicle) that required filling trans from below, while vehicle running and at a certain temp to get fluid to proper level. Was easiest way to do it. I have used it for some oil changes, but always use drain plug afterwards to ensure getting the rest from the bottom.

Last edited:

Ohioguy

Threads
I had a boat years ago and it had a 228 Merccruiser outdrive powered by a GM 350 engine. It might have had a drain plug but siphoning was the only way to change it. Probably true of all IO drives. Never felt confidant I was getting all the oil out.

jcworks

Threads
Last edited:

beaverplt

Threads
More worrisome than having gas leak out of the tank is getting gas or oil in the cylinder. Always, always tip the machine so the spark plug is on top. Whether that is for an oil change or blade removal, or whatever other maintenance you are doing. If you can't do that, then drain the gas. By doing that, you won't get gas or oil in the cylinder. I've "fixed" dozens of engines where someone didn't follow that simple rule. I happen to have an oil vacuum to suck oil out of the crankcase. I'm not a fan of that because of sludge left in the crankcase, but sometimes there is no other option. On a lawnmower I will always drain the gas and tip the mower so the oil drains out the filler. One last comment, I don't believe in the "never change your oil" mowers. I will always change the oil as part of the tuneup.