Export thread

Can not get the drain plug out of the hose.

Mike69

Mike69

On my DeWalt Z148 ZTR mower I am trying to change the oil because it has gas in it, & I cannot get the drain plug out of the drain hose. I tried to put 2 wrenches on the hose & the plug & the hose keeps moving & I cannot break loose the plug to drain the oil. Any ideas?

M

mechanic mark

Mechanic gloves to protect your hands & knuckles. Two 10" crescent wrenches one pushing the other pulling for leverage squeeze together to break loose. You will need to remove carburetor for repair before starting engine with new oil & filter.
If still under warranty let Dealer repair carburetor.

StarTech

StarTech

And sometime if the both parts are steel they are rusted as one and the only way is to cut the hose, drain, and replace the hose.

Mike69

Mike69

Thanks for the info.

Later might wanna install a gas shut-off petcock for extra insurance..

If you do have to cut the hose (Last resort), You may be able to find a bolt that will thread in to plug end & then keep cut end up high.

Mike69

Mike69

Thanks for the info & tips I was able to finally get the whole hose out of the engine & clamp it in a vice & it was a fight but I got the plug out.

(y)

S

sterobinson

Hit it with a hammer first then try it.

Z

Zue

On my DeWalt Z148 ZTR mower I am trying to change the oil because it has gas in it, & I cannot get the drain plug out of the drain hose. I tried to put 2 wrenches on the hose & the plug & the hose keeps moving & I cannot break loose the plug to drain the oil. Any ideas?
I use a Vacuum Tool I purchased from Harbor Freight to suck the oil out of the Riding Mower’s. This allows you not to have to use the drain plug on the motor.

A

Alton R

I would get someone to help hold the hose and back up rinch. Then use a impact rinch on the cap on the end of the hose.

Mike69

Mike69

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone but Iwas able to get the whole hose out of the engine & put it in a vice & was able to get the plug out.

L

lil SIG

And sometime if the both parts are steel they are rusted as one and the only way is to cut the hose, drain, and replace the hose.
I plan to put a ball valve with a cap on mine.

Mike69

Mike69

That is a great ides, I wonder if a metal radiator petcock would work?.

L

lil SIG

Thread a barbed end in the female side. Insert the barbed end in the oil hose and hose clamp. The place a cap on the threaded end for extra security

Attachments

Mike69

Mike69

I would need one with threads on both ends, the drain hose on my mower has a metal fitting as part of the hose that the drain plug screws into.

K

Kevin Dibling

Thanks for the info & tips I was able to finally get the whole hose out of the engine & clamp it in a vice & it was a fight but I got the plug out.
I have a mobile small engine business and I use an evacuator on everything,no mess,no stripped plugs and when the oil is warm it remove s all the oil fast,just do not use them to siphon gas

S

slomo

I plan to put a ball valve with a cap on mine.
Great until someone kicks it and dumps all the oil out toasting your engine. The less parts an oiling system has the better. Just get a cheap powered or hand pump evac pump. Whopping 25 bucks shipped to your door.
1686480326361.png

B

bertsmobile1

That is a great ides, I wonder if a metal radiator petcock would work?.
It is a recipe for a disaster
Use a vacuum sump pump.
as previously mentioned
Thus you eliminate it accidentially opening while you are mowing

L

lil SIG

Great until someone kicks it and dumps all the oil out toasting your engine. The less parts on an oiling system has the better. Just get a cheap powered or hand pump evac pump. Whopping 25 bucks shipped to your door.
View attachment 64996
How's that going to happen with a cap? Not to mention they have been used in automotive for years. Look up EZ oil drain valve.

I think the location of my mowers drain is MUCH more secure. I can't imagine it getting kicked back up in there.

Attachments

S

slomo

I can't imagine it getting kicked back up in there.
I couldn't either when I lost an $8600 engine in a Jeep like 20 years ago. An oil "mod" I couldn't live without dumped all the oil out on the highway.

S

slomo

EZ oil drain valve
I looked those up. Around 30 bucks to the house. Can get a hand or electric evac pump for the same or less. And use it on many other vehicles not just one.

Also it will take for ever to drain due to the large restriction inside the valve. Hope she never opens up on you. I couldn't sleep with one of those. Especially on a multi-thousand dollar "lawn mower".