Buying a new Tiger Cat 52". What Engine should I get?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Buying a new Tiger Cat 52". What Engine should I get?
Just looked at the specs at kawpower.com, the specs are the same except for HP and gross torque. I suspect that the difference is in the carb. Engines are sold by HP rating, more HP more money.
Yes the 52" Tiger Cat has the FX691V. A fine machine and I came close to buying one, but I need a new trailer and I repowered my 2008 Tiger Cub/48" deck/collection system, so I'm good for a while. I have looked over the 52" Tiger Cat very closely and I'm pleased with the upgrades that Scag has done to the Tiger Cats verses the older Tiger Cubs.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Champ

Threads
Just looked at the specs at kawpower.com, the specs are the same except for HP and gross torque. I suspect that the difference is in the carb. Engines are sold by HP rating, more HP more money.
Yes the 52" Tiger Cat has the FX691V. A fine machine and I came close to buying one, but I need a new trailer and I repowered my 2008 Tiger Cub/48" deck/collection system, so I'm good for a while. I have looked over the 52" Tiger Cat very closely and I'm pleased with the upgrades that Scag has done to the Tiger Cats verses the older Tiger Cubs.

So today I bought the 52" Tiger Cat with the FX691V. Will pick it up in a week or so. Thanks for your help in picking an engine and your thoughts on the Tiger cat.

dnewton3

Threads
.... I have looked over the 52" Tiger Cat very closely and I'm pleased with the upgrades that Scag has done to the Tiger Cats verses the older Tiger Cubs.

Just curious, MM, what upgrades you've noticed?

I have an older TC (2003 model?) with 19hp Kaw and I love it. I use it for residential trimming round my 8 acres, and my son uses it to mow 2 acres for the widow next door (good summer income for a 14 year old kid). Other than having to replace the starter switch relay, it's been flawless. What upgrades did they make? I can't imagine the unit being much beefier than what mine is. More power is always nice, but it comes at a price (purchase and fuel).

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Later model Tiger Cubs have the Velocity deck and continued on to the Tiger Cats.
Suspension seat or better depending on the model.
Hydraulic hoses have an outside covering similar to what is required on aircraft.
All Kawasaki engine options have the two stage HD air filtration system standard. The Kohler engine option does also. The Briggs option is the Commercial Turf series also with an improved air filter.
Foldable ROPS is standard.
Wider rear tires, less turf damage while turning.
Tapered roller bearings in the front axles, had been ball bearings.
Redesigned rear frame in the engine exhaust area.
Cast iron deck spindle housings, Tiber Cubs have aluminum housings.
All new machines regardless of make are required to have the fuel evaporative system, not an upgrade and adds to maintenance.
There may be more.
In March of 2013 I repowered my 2008 tiger Cub with a 30 HP Briggs Commercial Turf series engine as I was having a problem with the original 26 HP Briggs ELS engine.
Scag has always been quick to make changes when they become aware of problematic components. For example, the engine hour meters, engine start solenoids, engine cranking circuit relays, fuse holders and the bearings on the collection blower fan shaft come to mind at the moment.
Had I not repowered my Tiger Cub, I would now have a new Tiger Cat, but still with a 48" deck as with the collection blower installed, a wider deck would come too close to the cables on the ramp of my trailer.

Last edited:

tigercat

Threads
So today I bought the 52" Tiger Cat with the FX691V. Will pick it up in a week or so. Thanks for your help in picking an engine and your thoughts on the Tiger cat.

I have the exact model and engine. Trust me, it has more power than you imagine. No matter how high the grass or how thick etc, you can cut it wide open and it won't even lug the engine. The grass will be cut clean like you bagged it.

When I collect leaves, I mount the collection system. I don't bag the grass, just the leaves.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
NICE!!!! Did you get it at Ganos in Colchester?:thumbsup:
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing:

tigercat

Threads
I bought it in Oct 2012 from FARMINGTON VALLEY EQUIPMENT when my 4 year old Craftsman yard tractor(46" cut) took a dump. I got it for 12000 incl tax delivered (if I recall correctly). I saved some buying it off season and not putting it on credit. I use it for my property and since repaired the sears machine and use it for pulling the lawn cart. I bought the Scag because of the amount of leaves I need to collect here. I really hated that job before and now I spend 2 hours (once a week on Saturday) cleaning my yard with the scag. It's kids play now. The Yard tractor would work over 6 hours doing the same area. (so I cleaned my yard for the 2ND fall season).

To add insult to the sears name, last year I decided to pre-mulch a pile of leaves and I used the sears machine again.That was a mistake as I blew the head gasket.....
I REBUILT IT AGAIN.

Home depot had a returned machine (reconditioned) Ariens tractor for $700 on the floor a few months ago. I bought the tractor to replace the sears if it dies again.:thumbsup

I cut the grass with the Scag and it's a night and day difference how efficient the pro machines are. I spend more time trimming then riding. I purposely fertilized my yard last year and skipped cutting it for 2 weeks. The grass was thick and tall.
so what, it cut the yard in the same time and I didn't have clumps of grass anywhere. Scag makes an awesome machine!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've never been to Farmington Power Equipment, just looked at their website, very nice!:thumbsup:
I just replaced the blower fan in my collection system blower, 500 rough hours on it, with the new fan this makes the 3rd set of bearings.
I'm chomping at the bit to get going with spring cleanup, but I need to allow the grass to get some growth so I tear up a minimum amount while dethatching. I haven't seen many regular lawn care guys out and about, so things haven't got rolling yet.

Last edited:

Champ

Threads
I have the exact model and engine. Trust me, it has more power than you imagine. No matter how high the grass or how thick etc, you can cut it wide open and it won't even lug the engine. The grass will be cut clean like you bagged it.

When I collect leaves, I mount the collection system. I don't bag the grass, just the leaves.

Nice. Picking mine up this Saturday. Glad to hear that about the Kawi. Thanks.

Champ

Threads
Picked up my Tiger Cat today. First experience with a zero turn. Slight learning curve but I'm getting it. Bought it from M&H Tractor in Middletown, NY. Smooth transaction. Nice people to deal with.