Broken frame

Alan46

Threads
I actually have a piece of 1/4 flat stock. My frame is 3” C channel so as per your instructions I will cut a 12” piece, once I take it apart I will know the width to cut it with my angle grinder with a diamond tipped blad!

Does that sound correct to you?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I actually have a piece of 1/4 flat stock. My frame is 3” C channel so as per your instructions I will cut a 12” piece, once I take it apart I will know the width to cut it with my angle grinder with a diamond tipped blad!

Does that sound correct to you?
be sure to check the other side in the same place to see if a crack has started there.

gasjr4wd

Threads
What's the big deal with not wanting to weld it? Check with a few neighbors to see if they have a welder. Even a cheap little wire feed flux core would work fine for that. Honest, it's not that big a deal...

xj61975

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a similar incident on a Craftsman GT6000 about 4 years ago and the crack was about mid-wheelbase and went all the way up the web. Basically broke the mower's back. I stripped it down to expose the frame, clamped a strongback alongside to reailign the two pieces, ground the crack out to get a full penetration weld (weld one side, grind back side down to the new weld, then weld that side). This frame had a very narrow bottom flange which is where the crack began and progressed rapidly due to high stress and fatigue. I then added a cover plate (3/16" x 1" as I recall) nearly full length on the bottom of both rails. This repair was a lot of work will outlast the drivetrain. New frames may be available but the design flaw remains.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes it quite a bit work when done right but will last for years normally. Never been a fan of just bolts for this type on repair.

Gord Baker

Threads
Hi there, newbie here, we have a 2015 Husqvarna YTH 24- 48 I just found out why I’m getting scalping on the left side.the rear wheel The frame is broken not just cracked. Picture enclosed, has anyone seen this before and is there a fix besides welding?
!View attachment 64442
See if you can fit a 6" long 1/8x 1x1 piece of angle iron on it. Drill holes in the angle first, then Drill Frame and bolt, 1 hole at a time.