Broken frame

Alan46

Threads
Hi there, newbie here, we have a 2015 Husqvarna YTH 24- 48 I just found out why I’m getting scalping on the left side.the rear wheel The frame is broken not just cracked. Picture enclosed, has anyone seen this before and is there a fix besides welding?
!IMG_5360.jpeg

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Open the pictures in any photo editing device that you like .
Resize the photo to 12" along the longest side then se the resolution to 72 DPI & file type to JPG
What most forget to do is now SAVE the image
It will now upload

Alan46

Threads
Open the pictures in any photo editing device that you like .
Resize the photo to 12" along the longest side then se the resolution to 72 DPI & file type to JPG
What most forget to do is now SAVE the image
It will now upload

Lawn Addict
Threads
is there a fix besides welding?
Yes, place the 2 pieces back together & fit up another plate to size, place over the break, 1/2 on each side, clamp in place, drill a couple holes in each side & Bolt together.. Good grade bolts & locking nuts or Loc-Tite should be used.. 4 bolts would be plenty imo,.

The bolts should be snug thru the holes.

Alan46

Threads
Yes, place the 2 pieces back together & fit up another plate to size, place over the break, 1/2 on each side, clamp in place, drill a couple holes in each side & Bolt together.. Good grade bolts & locking nuts or Loc-Tite should be used.. 4 bolts would be plenty imo,.

The bolts should be snug thru the holes.
Thanks so much 7394,

I will try to get on it this week. It looks like there’s a fuel line on the back side of the frame, shouldn’t be an issue.

What thickness should the plate be?

Lawn Addict
Threads
At least the thickness of the broken frame. Lil thicker would be better.

dana a

Threads
Whether you weld it or plate it you are going to have to take some stuff off in order to get to the break. In my opinion I don't think a one inch strip of metal on each side of the break would be enough. You would have to use some small bolts and I don't think they could handle the pounding of mowing. If it was mine I'd weld it but if I was going to plate it I would have 3-4 inches on each side and 3 or 4 bolts on each side

Alan46

Threads
Whether you weld it or plate it you are going to have to take some stuff off in order to get to the break. In my opinion I don't think a one inch strip of metal on each side of the break would be enough. You would have to use some small bolts and I don't think they could handle the pounding of mowing. If it was mine I'd weld it but if I was going to plate it I would have 3-4 inches on each side and 3 or 4 bolts on each side
Thanks for the information!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
General rule of thumb is the patch plate needs to be 4 times as long as the frame rail is wide ( tall if you like )
Remember the frame rail is a C section and the top & bottom flanges add substantial amount of stiffness to the rail
If I was to do the same job I would get some C channel of the same size then slit it lengthways so when the 1/2's were put together it will fit tight inside the frame railthen bolt it through the top bottom rails as well as the mainwidth
If I could not do that then it would be a minimum 1/4" thick patch plate