Broke my mower, dang!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
At least you didn't wipe your tail with the leaves of three that grows here is the US. And btw it wasn't me that did it but was a city dude. I explain that why we carry a roll of the paper with us on outdoor trips.

guitarman4805

Forum Newbie
Threads
About the charger and the lights: I may have overlooked the model number of the Kobalt, and I do not know your battery chemistry. As previously stated chargers usually were sold with the end item and were specific to battery type. Lithium batteries have internal BMS electronics to make sure you don't over charge more than 90 % of usable power. This is because the charger senses the open terminal, no load of the suspect batteries and adusts internals to match charge parameters so it will not over charge. During charge cycle, the charger monitors temperature, voltage and current so that when the lights indicate a READY for service you can rest assured the battery has been recharged to close to 100% of capacity. Nicad, NIMH, LeadAcid and other variations of lead acid use a different type of charger. You need to be certain the charger is specific to your type batteries and that the charger is functional. The manual fpr the mower, the manual for the charger will tell you how to safely charge.
One word of caution. Lithium batts output full demand current for cutting grass and suddenly the BMS will shut down the battery because it is at <10% charge. Do Not repeatedly hit RUN; BMS has to draw a little power to re run the sense voltage again to determine battery status. This pulls the 10% down even more and if you continue it will not have enough no load load voltage for the charger to act on and will status the battery as a hard fail. The lights will give you an indication of battery condition. Some one else mentioned the soft start. When you pull the trigger the motor is almost a short circuit and as such demands an extremely hight amount of current except for the BMS monitoring the discharge rate and will limit that current until it is within the RUN spec for load. The Battery Management System is a small computerized integrated circuit wired internally in the battery. It is a great system and works well
with a little care and maintenance. As a aside; you could have a one battery, two battery or a four battery configuration. I am thinking you have the simplest of a single 12 volt battery running a single speed motor turning a single SHARP blade and a putting green quality lawn to maintain. OR YOU COULD HAVE an extension cort that converts 120AC to a DC to run the motor. A model number put into this site will get you on the right track. This is a simple

Alan46

Threads
I’m beginning to think that this isn’t a real issue, just the OP messing with us, thoughts?

Threads
Dear dudes,

I'm having trouble with my Kobalt electric lawnmower. I was cutting grass yesterday and hit a metal stake in the ground as I was turning it. The blade stopped abruptly. Couldn't get it to start again. I called a few shops and nobody seems to work on electric mowers. At one shop the guy said that I should hit the restart button to see if that helps. He said that I might have to remove a lid or cover to get to it. If that didn't work I could drop it by his shop and he'd have a look at it. Does anyone know if this works? Many thanks in advance.
Probably a reset of some kind. Either that or the electric mower has some kind of shear pin or woodruff key like a gas mower. Take the top off and look for anything that appears to be a reset button, usually a bright color. If nothing comes up, see if the blade turns freely, like it is not connected to anything. This could indicate some kind of pin sheared off. If nothing else, just begin disassembly (remembering where everything goes) and look for anything that looks busted. If you find nothing, at least you have it apart for disposal. Good Luck!

TobyU

Threads
First thing is see if you can hand turn the blade. Is it jammed or float free? Electrical mowers are so simple there are no parts to replace, nothing much to do, so nothing much to work on. A person who is handy and know how to use multimeter could look at it. It is either a mechanical problem (probably) or an electrical problem. As far as "tree huggers" there is no need in this type of forum to speak in a rude and derogatory manner to anyone. We are all brothers and some sisters trying to mow our lawns and fields and to help each other keep our equipment running. I have gas, diesel and battery equipment. Each has its place, but batteries are the future and electrical equipment gets better every day. I love my redwoods, fruit and nut trees. They give me so much. I am going to go and give them a hug.
Sure there is. We blast these cheaply made, underpowered, short run time crappy battery mowers and more and more people who try them have buyer's remorse and decide they want a gas mower.
THIS is what many people want to happen. They don't want battery to "be the future".
People will do lots of things to help their goals so this makes it a bit needed 😆

I'm not here to make friends with anyone.
I don't care about the people/owners is mowers.
I only want the equipment to last and week properly and I do mean gasoline equipment.
Don't overthink my position too much.
I really can't stand diesel either. LOL
Not really a big fan of 2 stroke but I still like that better than battery.

In fact, I get more than aggravated with people online who insist on doing troubleshooting (or lack thereof) and "repairs" the WRONG way or at least a really expensive and inefficient way.
So often, they won't listen and take good advice being repeated by -almost everyone.
Their in their own little la la land and want to do it their way.

I have no desire to restore time on these people and I hope they never get their stuff fixed.

When I don't know something, I look to those who do. I take their advice and experience to heart and make the best and most likely to succeed plan of action I can.
I don't resist their repeated recommendations etc.

People would likely not question or second guess a doctor or specialized medical professional but they don't like to listen to the specialized professionals who have solved the same symptoms 100s of times - this year!
And let's not forget (because I never miss an opportunity to make a dig) those youtube/amazon debacle people who remove (usually a waste of time) and throw away a perfectly good carb (better than the new one) instead of just cleaning the darn thing or often just the one main jet.

Then they went to argue and justify their actions.
-it was only $14.
-it was faster- NOT if you know what your doing!
-it's better- NOT

Do you sense an attitude from me?
It's FROM dealing with people and to many of the wrong kind. Lol
What do they say and don't with the public??? Makes you NOT want to deal with the public.
They are not wrong.

I'll be over here using my gas equipment with the original carbs for the foreseeable future.

Slider99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sure there is. We blast these cheaply made, underpowered, short run time crappy battery mowers and more and more people who try them have buyer's remorse and decide they want a gas mower.
THIS is what many people want to happen. They don't want battery to "be the future".
People will do lots of things to help their goals so this makes it a bit needed 😆

I'm not here to make friends with anyone.
I don't care about the people/owners is mowers.
I only want the equipment to last and week properly and I do mean gasoline equipment.
Don't overthink my position too much.
I really can't stand diesel either. LOL
Not really a big fan of 2 stroke but I still like that better than battery.

In fact, I get more than aggravated with people online who insist on doing troubleshooting (or lack thereof) and "repairs" the WRONG way or at least a really expensive and inefficient way.
So often, they won't listen and take good advice being repeated by -almost everyone.
Their in their own little la la land and want to do it their way.

I have no desire to restore time on these people and I hope they never get their stuff fixed.

When I don't know something, I look to those who do. I take their advice and experience to heart and make the best and most likely to succeed plan of action I can.
I don't resist their repeated recommendations etc.

People would likely not question or second guess a doctor or specialized medical professional but they don't like to listen to the specialized professionals who have solved the same symptoms 100s of times - this year!
And let's not forget (because I never miss an opportunity to make a dig) those youtube/amazon debacle people who remove (usually a waste of time) and throw away a perfectly good carb (better than the new one) instead of just cleaning the darn thing or often just the one main jet.

Then they went to argue and justify their actions.
-it was only $14.
-it was faster- NOT if you know what your doing!
-it's better- NOT

Do you sense an attitude from me?
It's FROM dealing with people and to many of the wrong kind. Lol
What do they say and don't with the public??? Makes you NOT want to deal with the public.
They are not wrong.

I'll be over here using my gas equipment with the original carbs for the foreseeable future.
I have plenty of Stihl equipment and they wear out and break just like everything else. Also have a few EGO electric things and they have preformed flawlessly. Each is right for a job. Good electric equipment are not cheaply made garbage. I'm going with you have never used any, and also going with you say EV's are all garbage being forced on us.
You sound pretty bitter about something.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As Slider99 said well made electrical works nearly flawless but there is a lot el cheapo equipment out there in both electric and gasoline powered versions.

As with all cost to repair is the biggest factor when they break. And currently with battery powered equipment it is the getting IPLs and service info is our biggest problem. Personally electric equipment is not a problem as long as I get the needed info and parts. We also got use common sense and don't go overboard on repairs as we got consider replacement costs too.

It is like the two Stihl handheld blowers here one has bad crankshaft bearings with my labor costs nearly 3/4 of the replacement cost. The other one needs a PNC kit which cost nearly same percentage wise. Since both units are over 7 yrs old I recommended the customer just to replace them.

Have_Blue

Threads
I have plenty of Stihl equipment and they wear out and break just like everything else. Also have a few EGO electric things and they have preformed flawlessly. Each is right for a job. Good electric equipment are not cheaply made garbage. I'm going with you have never used any, and also going with you say EV's are all garbage being forced on us.
You sound pretty bitter about something.
EGO stuff is awesome, and always near the top in head-to-head testing. The manufacturer is great, and probably has the best support of any in the industry. Having said that, I prefer multiple small cheap(er) batteries to 1 large, super-expensive one, so I use Makita.

People need to understand that electric yard tools are no more complex or unreliable than good brands of cordless drills, impact drivers, and jig saws, so much of their negativity is unfounded.