Briggs v twin valve seal

Stryped

Threads
I am rebuilding a Briggs v twin 27 hp 49 series after the rod broke.
Buying a gasket kit on Amazon. The kit comes with new valve seals but should I use them? The engine did not smoke when it broke the rod. I am a little afraid of replacing my valve seal with a made in china seal if that makes sense. I tried replacing the pto seal once with a cheap seal and it kept falling apart during installation. New Briggs made seals are as much or more that this gasket kit.

Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are purchasing an unknown gasket set off EBay and then asking about replacing valve seals from that set because you think they might be a “MADE IN CHINA” seals in that set. To me it’s a no brainer, if I’m going to use that set I’m going to trust all parts in that set. On top of that I’m willing to bet that over 50% of the seals we’ll find in this country are not manufactured in this country.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Even the seals in the Briggs kit would be from China most likely especially when every engine I look up on the Power Portal now has a Chinese version of manuals.

Stryped

Threads
Even the seals in the Briggs kit would be from China most likely especially when every engine I look up on the Power Portal now has a Chinese version of manuals.
All I am saying is I have had trouble with seals in cheaper kits. I wonder if it is really needed to replace.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Troubles ?
hard to fit
failing in service
falling off
???????

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
valve seals can be different types. Some are like little umbrellas that divert oil from the stem at the top of the guide, and others are wipers that wipe oil off the stem. Each has a different lifespan. The answer would depend on not only the design of the seal, but the material it is made from. Since we did not get photos or an analysis of what condition the old ones are, it would be hard to answer the question. A PTFE press on seal has totally different properties and life span than the same style seal made of nitrile (Buna), Neoprene, Silicone, or Viton.

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
ROFLMAO won't trust the seals but trust the gaskets.

Stryped

Threads
Troubles ?
hard to fit
failing in service
falling off
???????
Troubles ?
hard to fit
failing in service
falling off
???????
This started with me repairing a sump pan gasket oil leak. This was my dads lawnmower before and he gave it to me. He had the sump gasket repaired at dealer. Two years later it leaked again so he gave to me and he bought a new mower.
anyway, I bought a sump gasket kit that came with a pto seal. The pto seal lip never would orient right and eventually tore. I ended up having to gets a Briggs seal. The actual gasket worked fine. The Briggs seal worked fine.
That is what has made me sheepish of seals of any kind in a kit.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You got the be carefully installing oil seals depending the lip they have. Some tries to roll up during the install.

On that 49 series you got check that the crankcase and cover plate (oil pan) surfaces are flat. Also using some thin application of Motoseal on both sides of the gasket help as the gasket on these engine tend slip due to loose screws. The last one I did the gasket looked like expanded steel. Just note once this applied you will not able to get engine back apart with destroying the gasket and it is a mess to cleanup.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have never had an issue with the gaskets slipping on any of the ones i have done. But had friend tell me that since the surfaces are so smooth you can take a prick punch and make small punch marks on the surface and it will not come loose again. I think he said you only have to do it to the pan side.