Briggs & Stratton files chapter 11 bankruptcy.

jakewells

Threads
Hope they don't follow the path that Tecumseh products went down.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Note that KPS is negiotatng a new pay deal with the unions ie drastic pay cuts for workers , terminating health benefits and having a fiddle with the pension fund .
So once again the workers will be done over like a dinner.
They are going to close several factories, they will be the ones where Briggs owns the land they stand on.
Wanna bet it will be a secret deal and a KPS affiliated property developer will make a motza from the sale
Then it will be cap in hand to the government for one of "Those loans" that never seem to be paid back .
Reducing the capital ( mostly tied up in land & benefits ) will cause the P:E ratio to increase so the screen warriors of Wall St will start buying the stock.
Meanwhile they will announce that "brands will be retained " which is 2 faced speak for generators being fully imported as will every other product that is economical to ship in containers.
Once KPS has gotten its money back plus a heal;ty margin of profit they will exit & the company will implode .
Give it 10 years if you are lucky.
Briggs are yet to bring out a fuel injected engine so there will be no future sales in California where a carburettored engine can not meet pollution emission standards so I would take "growing the business " with a healthy pinch of salt.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Actually Bert Briggs does have EFI a 28, 37 and 40 in a vertical shaft and a 37 and 40 in horizontal in their Vanguard engine line.

And I agree with your assessment of the future of Briggs, but I am not sure they have 10 years.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I stand corrected.
Did not see any EFI in the OZ price lists.
If they do the vertical intergration thing properly and set up as a direct competitor to MT & AYP for making 3rd party brands then they might get volumes back up and stat making profits from selling parts.
But I doubt it as vertical integration is not the macho big balls favourite now days.

DK35vince

Threads
Actually Bert Briggs does have EFI a 28, 37 and 40 in a vertical shaft and a 37 and 40 in horizontal in their Vanguard engine line.
Yes they do.
I have a 37 HP EFI Briggs Vanguard engine on my Snapper Pro.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Saw this quote from an article on the 13th, but couldn't read the whole thing due to the website wanting me to pay to subscribe to their stories and paper
""Generac Power Systems wants to acquire some Briggs & Stratton Corp. product lines through the Briggs Chapter 11 bankruptcy case, but Generac says it faces unfair hurdles.""

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I suspect that Generac wants the generators and pressure washer lines. Which is kind of ironic that Briggs stole the technology from Generac during that agreement for Briggs to purchase Generac a few years ago and then didn't follow through.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And here I thought it was just that Generac sold off manufacturing rights of the small portable generator line to Briggs so they could focus on the larger fixed position generators.

But well could be just technology ripoff as Briggs appears to be very cozy with China as I noticed that recently Briggs Power Portal has both English and Chinese OM and IPLs listed for nearly every engine I look-up.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Startech. There was a 5 year purchase agreement between Generac and Briggs that was never completed. After the non sale, Generac has been gobbling up other generator companies. During that purchase agreement is when Briggs entered the portable and standby generator market