Briggs news

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
And I'm guessing the old stock holders have worthless paper now, but the company will reissue renamed shares and the new big shots will really cash in with stock options. Last a while before the roof just caves in.

And I have read all about those $800 headlight assemblies, buy a sealed beam for 4 bucks. And I'm not understanding why a LED light has to have a circuit board with 50 to 100 miniature surface mounted components? Supply DC current and it lights. I dunno.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Basically Briggs and KPS just screwed everyone. And now have to wait and see if KPS is just going to sell of the Briggs assets and close down Briggs or not. Not going to hold my breath as it looks terminal for Briggs.

Nearly half my Briggs parts are now being backordered. I even received one backorder that all I got was a box, packing list, a couple air bags, and no parts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hopefully the OEM suppliers will now sell into the aftermarket supply chain so we will get bigger range of aftermarket parts .
And yes you are 100% correct KPS will want their money back x 10 in a very short period of time but we will not hear about it till after they have sold down.
Virtually guarantee all real estate will be the first thing to go then KPS can regulate the "profit" by playing with the rent .

gotomow

Threads
Hopefully the OEM suppliers will now sell into the aftermarket supply chain so we will get bigger range of aftermarket parts .
And yes you are 100% correct KPS will want their money back x 10 in a very short period of time but we will not hear about it till after they have sold down.
Virtually guarantee all real estate will be the first thing to go then KPS can regulate the "profit" by playing with the rent .
Stanley Black & Decker inc. will swoop in and purchase Briggs and MTD in a mega merger.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'm surprised i haven't seen B&D Branded riding mowers, not made by, but branded

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Doubt that Stanley will do this now when they could have bought the whole shooting match for 8¢ in the dollar last month.
Not going to pay KPS 200¢ in the dollar now .
Basically B & S as an engine maker is deceased.
MTD will not use B & S engines any more for political reasons ( supposedly ) unless B & S sell off all of the whole goods divisions which directly compete with MTD
Toro will not go back to B & S unless B & S can guarantee parts supply and come in under the price of the Loncins and that is not going to happen either .
Add to that ever increasing EPA regulations will force all petrol powered mower to go to EFI initally and battery ultimately .
Thus there is no long term future in making petrol powered small engines for anything else than top shelf commercial products.
And the buying market is too cheap to pay those prices in the numbers required to support efficient manufacturing.
Tecumseh engines were 2/3 the price of B & S engines and Tecumseh went down when smaller makers switched to imported engines and their volumes dropped.

High volume low margin is a massive gamble because eventually big players like Walmart force you to supply at a price under the manufacturing cost so you have to increase the price to the smaller retailers to remain profitable .
This works well for the Walmarts as they can now sell at a profit at a lower price than the corner mower shop can purchase mowers from the factory .
So in a very short time the corner shops switch to a different supplier , you then loose your entire profit and are bankrupt
AFAIK this is what happened to Noma and Murray .
BEcause companies like Walmart have been allowed, through political corruption , to become so dominant they can then control the information flow and mask the true cause by blaming warranty problems so appear to be the heros protecting the community where as all along they are the villians.

As a fully vertically intergrated company B & S have a future but that means going back to making most of the parts themselves and redesigning the engines to be fully robot assembled like the Kohler China factory has done with the courage single.
Push mower engines have no future so they will need to import all of them from their Chinese factory as no USA factory can make them at a price that is competative with the Chinese & Indian sourced engines and Joe Public will not pay $ 100 extra for a USA made engine particularly when they are sub standard to the imported engines.

gotomow

Threads
Stanley black and decker currently own 20 percent in mtd with option to purchase the rest in 2021. We shall see...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Walmart killed Murray by trying to demand more products at a cheaper price. Murray was always designed to be a Walmart exclusive product(no market outside Walmart unlike MTD and Husqvarna). Their territory was the southeastern 1/4 of the US. Basically framed by the South of I-70 and east of the Mississippi river. MTD was north of I-70 and east of the Mississippi river, and Husqvarna was everything west of the Mississippi

And I agree with Bert that MTD will avoid Briggs engines unless they sell off their power equipment lines. Actually the MTD avoidance of Briggs started after the Murray bankruptcy and started the MTD made in China line which are basically Loncin engines. Briggs also kind of caused their own issues with the Murray and Brute lines over the last few years with them being supported by outside Chinese manufactures line Earthquake, Amerisun, and another company that is ,making some of the Murray push mowers that doesn't even have a viable website for customers to contact with parts or warranty issues.

And since Generac was one of the creditors I wonder what role they played in the Brute and Briggs and Stratton portable generator and pressure washer lines.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Interesting I was under the impression that Murray was a major manufacturer of mowers for other people.
They certainly made ride ons sold under the brands Victa, Rover, Pace , Parklander , Sentenial & some store only brands down here as well as plain Murray .
The Murray master parts catalogue has a paint finish prefix for just about every mower company I have ever heard of including Husqvarna, JD & Toro.
However this is for everything from tiny tiller through to garden tractors.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bert there was a little bit of Craftsman product a few years ago, and they did market under the Stanley name for a short period which they treated as a separate dealer agreement, but was still sold exclusively through Walmart. There could of been some production for other brands, but they didn't sell under different brand name like MTD with the Bolens, Troybilt, Cub Cadet etc or Husqvarna with Poulan, Dixon, Redmax, Jonsered.