Briggs intek v twin starts hard

Neo7

Threads
I believe I will start with the carbplate hole covering
Great ... But you mean "choke plate" right? .... please report back after that one ... and what you covered the hole it with too?
Good luck!

Yardstar

Threads
Ahh chokeplate yes, ok i will let you know how it goes.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Adjust valves with engine cold per your engine owners manual specs.

Last edited:

Yardstar

Threads
Brass plug is what I've always had ... except when I fitted the Chinese Carb (for a few days) which has a plastic/nylon plug. So either one was "no change"

Compression test yes, many times ... But I can't see how a leak down issue would help with a starting problem? ... That's really an optimal performance thing.
Getting the valve timing just right does allow the engine to turnover without stopping on compression strokes. So that's important too.

Also I know it's a carburettor issue. Because I have another V-Twin motor (in another mower) and I swapped the twin barrel carb for the other mowers single barrel carb and the engine started easily.... I was tempted to convert the engine over to a single barrel carb ... but that would have been admitting defeat lol! ... Besides I learn a lot when things go wrong and I wouldn't trade that for the world!
So i tried the carb from the dyt4000 its a double nikki carb, no change, it didnt even want to start with gas down the carb, i might use one if the chinese carbs as a guinnie pig to make the idle jets bigget does anyone have a suggested size?

Yardstar

Threads
Great ... But you mean "choke plate" right? .... please report back after that one ... and what you covered the hole it with too?
Good luck!
So i took the chinese carb and drilled one of the idle jets right out to 1/16" it starts right up now and runs great, now my only problem is if i can switch choke plates from the oem one the the chinese carb as the tractor has a singke throttle choke lever and the chinese carbs are designed for a seperate choke lever.

Yardstar

Threads
Update: i switched choke plates sucessfully and the tractor continues to start within a second or two, i greatly appreciate everyones help. Now i have to repair the kill switch on a partner k1200 but only the stop switch trigger is there the rest is missig and all the parts diagrams i look at dont detail those parts or how it functions.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Glad you got it running good!

Neo7

Threads
Great news!

So i took the chinese carb and drilled one of the idle jets right out to 1/16" it starts right up now and runs great
Some say that those two jets are different sizes. Do you know which one you drilled out?

Yardstar

Threads
Great news!

Some say that those two jets are different sizes. Do you know which one you drilled out?
Not the main jets in the emulsion tube I took all that off to expose the other jets, it ran rich so I put another new Chinese carb on it except I used the stock choke plate because it has a single lever for choke and throttle, It has a different arm on it and flips it the other way, it starts right up and doesn't run rich now I think the choke plate function was messing me up from the get go.