Briggs intek v twin starts hard

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

Neo7

Threads
I have the same engine. And I have done EVERYTHING!! but only more recently discovered that a change in starting procedure works well for me.
1.Battery in good order and well charged .... otherwise don't bother
2.Don't not apply choke (at first).
3.Crank engine over (with starter motor) for upto 10 seconds. In other words leave it cranking.
4.After 2 seconds of cranking apply full choke for half a second.On/Off
5.After 4 seconds of cranking apply full choke for half a second.On/Off.
6.After 6 seconds of cranking apply full choke for half a second.On/Off
7 After 8 seconds of cranking apply full choke for half a second.On/Off
Give up for now and let the starter motor rest for a few mins.... It's under rated (used on the 15HP single engines) and it's core (armature) gets very hot.
No guarantees... my engine has been starting quite reliably on step 5 ... Good luck ... Please write back either way.

Yardstar

Threads
I have the same engine. And I have done EVERYTHING!! but only more recently discovered that a change in starting procedure works well for me.
1.Battery in good order and well charged .... otherwise don't bother
2.Don't not apply choke (at first).
3.Crank engine over (with starter motor) for upto 10 seconds. In other words leave it cranking.
4.After 2 seconds of cranking apply full choke for half a second.On/Off
5.After 4 seconds of cranking apply full choke for half a second.On/Off.
6.After 6 seconds of cranking apply full choke for half a second.On/Off
7 After 8 seconds of cranking apply full choke for half a second.On/Off
Give up for now and let the starter motor rest for a few mins.... It's under rated (used on the 15HP single engines) and it's core (armature) gets very hot.
No guarantees... my engine has been starting quite reliably on step 5 ... Good luck ... Please write back either way.
I will try this tomorrow, do you have the plastic needle or brass

Neo7

Threads
Regrettably not...The current (original) carb has been stripped down and cleaned out maybe 10 times (with every jet and venturi check and cleared each time) and the last time was with a full carb overhaul kit.
I have also fitted brand new carb which did nothing to solve this problem. Also since doing the overhaul kit the engine idle's like a dream!
So when i say "I've tried everything"... I mean "EVERYTHING" lol!

AVB

Threads
It might be defective fuel solenoid. I recently had received three new Briggs solenoids from my distributor that would not retract; unless, received an external nudge once power was applied. Just with the engine running was enough cause this nudge. It might worth trying temporary replacing the solenoid with a screw(bolt) to see if this is the cause. Also make sure the connector terminals are tight I have also few cases where these were loose fitting to the pins of the solenoids.

I can't even get these solenoids made up either as I not a full Briggs dealer. I instructed to take them to a local to get them made which they refused to do too. Basically I paid for defective parts that in theory are under warranty but no dealer will make them up.

Neo7

Threads
Check and Tested mine (many times) and its working fine.... I'm fairly sure I saw replacements on eBay? .... But need to make sure you're get the right one as the Solenoids on the Chinese Carbs are different (screw thread and plug) to the Nikki Cabs.

Tinkerer200

Threads
I don't remember what the choke plate looks like on that engine but I have ones which had 2 holes in the choke plate. I blocked one of them which solved the excess cranking problem. Beware of running the starter too long, as it will cause over heating of winding reducing starting torque. I think B&S recommends no longer than 5 seconds followed by 10 seconds or so rest.

Walt Conner

Yardstar

Threads
Regrettably not...The current (original) carb has been stripped down and cleaned out maybe 10 times (with every jet and venturi check and cleared each time) and the last time was with a full carb overhaul kit.
I have also fitted brand new carb which did nothing to solve this problem. Also since doing the overhaul kit the engine idle's like a dream!
So when i say "I've tried everything"... I mean "EVERYTHING" lol!
So you did try the brass needle?
It might be defective fuel solenoid. I recently had received three new Briggs solenoids from my distributor that would not retract; unless, received an external nudge once power was applied. Just with the engine running was enough cause this nudge. It might worth trying temporary replacing the solenoid with a screw(bolt) to see if this is the cause. Also make sure the connector terminals are tight I have also few cases where these were loose fitting to the pins of the solenoids.

I can't even get these solenoids made up either as I not a full Briggs dealer. I instructed to take them to a local to get them made which they refused to do too. Basically I paid for defective parts that in theory are under warranty but no dealer will make them up.
I have tried two solenoids, both test positive out if the bowl but im willig to try anything so ill try the bolt
I don't remember what the choke plate looks like on that engine but I have ones which had 2 holes in the choke plate. I blocked one of them which solved the excess cranking problem. Beware of running the starter too long, as it will cause over heating of winding reducing starting torque. I think B&S recommends no longer than 5 seconds followed by 10 seconds or so rest.

Walt Conner
Thank you I will try this also, I appreciate all the responses, i cant wait to get in the shop and do some more process of elimination, iv never been stumped like this. Side note i have used about 10 of the chinese carbs on various 2 and 4 cycle equipment and had great sucess until now (if my problem is arb related)