Briggs Intek coil issues

Threads
Each individual col will short out on its own. It's when I plug into the diode harness that there is always spark.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Something not right with the harness if you are ground the free end with two ends with diodes attached to the coils. It should kill them ; unless, someone put the diodes in backwards.

Threads
I got the harness directly from Briggs. That's why I'm stumped.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you got a meter with diode check, check the diodes. Cathodes goes to ground; Anodes goes to the coils.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The sub harness from the engine plug to the coils on some mowers can be hooked up 1 then 2 or 2 then 1 .
I know this because I have done it .
The diode in the between only chokes in one direction.
So if you hook it up 1>2 in place of 2>1 then it might not work .
Some will fit either way & some won't .
Being a used mower there are all sorts of work arounds that can crop up.Obviously the DPO was having a similar problem which is why they were disconnected in the first place.
I will see if I have a wiring diagram for it on file .

Threads
Not sure what you mean by 1 then 2 or 2 then 1? The harness only goes one way, unless you mean order of connection? (coils then harness to tractor or vice versa). Do you think Briggs would mess up the diode direction?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If your s will only hook up t the coils one way then you are good.
Had some where the sub loom that had the coil kill wires & solenoid wires could go left coil the right coil or right coil then left coil

Threads
I measured the harness, .68 one way and 0L the other way on both diodes using the diode setting on my DMM.I don't understand why this won't shut off...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay check this. At the end that you normally ground put on the negative lead and each coil (one at a time) You be getting the .7 +- reading. reverse the leads and you should getting OL. IF you don't then the lead has the diodes backwards; otherowrds' if you get .7+- reading with the negative on the coil(s) terminal and red lead at the grounding point.

Threads
So I plugged the wires into the coils. I get .546 in diode mode on the DMM with the RED lead on the "ground"end of the harness, and the black lead on the coil terminal. Reversing the leads gives 0L. Thanks a bunch for the help so far.